Playstation 3 2006-2017 RIP

GazzaGarratt

It's an end of an era for Playstation 3 consoles. Japan have confirmed the final consoles have been built and shipped and no further production will take place.

This will filter through to EU and NA in due course.

11 years shelf life is pretty darn good in this market, I don't think the latest consoles will last that long.

I didn't play one growing up, I was purely xbox 360 until i came here and got a pre-owned version. I never thought it cut the mustard against the powerful xbox 360 at the time.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I had both consoles but the PS3 was my baby, the one thing that did it for me was the lack of Blu Ray on the Xbox. I love my films and because of the PS3 i have purchased a fair few Blu Rays.

Also my PS3 never made much noise, even after years of use. My Xbox was the nosiest thing ever at the time but the PS4 has blown that out the water.

This has to mean that they'll allow you to play PS3 games on your PS4, surely?

14 hours ago, tronic44 said:

I had both consoles but the PS3 was my baby, the one thing that did it for me was the lack of Blu Ray on the Xbox. I love my films and because of the PS3 i have purchased a fair few Blu Rays.

Also my PS3 never made much noise, even after years of use. My Xbox was the nosiest thing ever at the time but the PS4 has blown that out the water.

This has to mean that they'll allow you to play PS3 games on your PS4, surely?

I thought Blu-Rays were a thing of the past already :P

I don't think they ever will be backward compatible Rich, they've confirmed that some time ago. Their way of tapping into that market is the Playstation Now service. I believe @Stretch616 has tried it and it effectively means you can rent any game at any time for a monthly fee. Shame but Digital and leasehold is the sign of the times.

48 minutes ago, tronic44 said:

A thing of the past? How dare you sir 😄

I just want to play blops2 and mw2 again, is that too much to ask? 

We still can play them. Name a time and a console and get it on the Calendar. I'm sure we can all persuade Euan to buy a PS3 so we can 360 no scope him :D In all seriousness i'm sure we could get interest in some CoD reunion nights on here.

That's why I don't think people should ever do away with the last console. It still has massive replayability.