Just another reason I can't trust Facebook (and other sh*t on the internet)

Palle

A few days after Christmas I was going through my Facebook profile, deleting stuff I didn't want public.

What I found on the lower left corner in recent activity (Dec. 19th) was a box from "Invision Power Boards" that said I had liked a post that I know I had liked... Problem is it was on THIS site, in my PPR... Something I never intended to share on my public Facebook profile.

This is what it said: "Palle likes a post in "Palle's LPR (Life Progress Report)", directly linking to the topic. You know what was said in it. I can only hope that none of my Facebook friends or connections saw or cared about this post if it showed in their news feeds or that no one cares to view my profile.

Now this is really interesting, because I have never allowed anything to post directly between Facebook and this forum. The ONLY thing linking them is that I'm using the same email address on both sites.

The other day I had a similar post, yet again without any request for permission or notification. I can't make it stop posting because I haven't let any IPB apps post to my timeline, doesn't even seem to be one existing on Facebook.

This is a violation of my privacy... I'm afraid to use the same email for different sites now.

Palle,

I think I recall your PPR in the General Discussion section, but I don't know if it was moved or not. I didn't move it because I thought that that's where you wanted it.

Just for future reference. If you wanna make a new one I'd definitely keep it in the PPR section since it's private. I'll try and look into this and see if I can get down to why this has happened for you.

tumblr_m2ienvKRMM1qfbvj1.gif

Ok Palle,

So I never connected my Facebook through this site. Even when Dave asked us to test simply because I never wanted those two accounts linked. But I liked it for you to test out what is going on.

I went into my settings and linked them:

SettingsFB.png

Simply by linking them you have gave them the permission to post these things on your wall.

I liked your OP post to test and this instantly popped up:

fbcap.png

If you're connected through the settings, at some point you had to have linked them. It could have been linked through the icons at the bottom of the page that say "like this page". You could have been connected that way. Who knows. Either way, I'd keep your private stuff in the actual PPR section like I do with mine. And disassociate the account like I am going to right now.

If you're not linked up on that page, then I honestly have no idea how that could have happened. If it should happen to anyone it should happen to me. I use Facebook everyday.  :lol:

tumblr_m2ienvKRMM1qfbvj1.gif

You should all boycott the following

• Yahoo
  • Google
  • Bing
  • Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Google

You should also use Tor Browser when surfing the internet. And always use fake names when signing up for ANYTHING. Have a dumb email that you only use to sign up for stuff.  Change emails every 3 months.  Use Duckduckgo.com as a search engine.

I really don't like that Google-eyes is all over this site reporting back to the government but I refuse to be silent about what they are doing.

This situation could have been a lot worse I think, depending on what post you "liked". What if it had something to do with a joke that was "politically incorrect" - then a prospective employer did some digging on you and found your facebook page, then saw that. You wouldn't get the job. There is a whole shitload of reasons like this and why we should all be concerned but at the very least, please boycott all that stuff. 

For more Cyber Defense tips, I posted up some videos in Cyber Warfare thread in Current Affairs.

Keep calm and question nothing.

That's a rabbit hole I really can't be bothered going down. This software has all sorts of anti-DDOS protocols implemented which would have to be circumvented as you're signing in from weird IPs from all over the world that the site isn't familiar with. Another aspect is that if the site suspects dodgy connections, it terminates them. TOR is often too slow to function like a normal internet service so the site sees it as a potential security risk and shuts down the connection.

I also hope you're not typing in any passwords over TOR. That's very, very risky. There's more NSA monitoring TOR traffic than regular internet traffic, and if they pick up a password or email address that's not encrypted (happens all the time) then you can bet your last dollar you'll have eyes all over your emails.

banlol.png

[qubasically "Diddums" post=23381" timestamp="1390639685]

I also hope you're not typing in any passwords over TOR. That's very, very risky. There's more NSA monitoring TOR traffic than regular internet traffic, and if they pick up a password or email address that's not encrypted (happens all the time) then you can bet your last dollar you'll have eyes all over your emails.

So basically by trying to stay off the radar you could of red flagged yourself. :)

Yep. Too many people seem to think that TOR is this top secret, impenetrable network when it's not at all.

Basically your pc connects to a node which shreds all your data and sends it in tiny little packages to the node you want to connect to, but sends them via different servers all over the world. Sounds great, right?

Well, the way the system chops up your data is random. It doesn't recognise text, names, email addresses, etc etc. It lays your data on a block and chops it up. If your email address happens to be between two cuts, it's sent across the network as is and can be easily decrypted.

TOR is awesome if you don't mind going back to dial up speeds and know how to use it, but too many people think that because they use it they're invulnerable.

Just because the NSA can't decrypt everything, doesn't mean that they're not there. They're there alright, and the second they pick up anything about you on the network, you're on the grid. Even more so than the regular net because so many people on TOR are hiding shit.

banlol.png

@ diddums - nope, I just use it so my traffic content isn't categorized in my file. Because of the type of stuff I look up, I'm probably already flagged. There is currently a war going against people that stand up against this shit. Even returning Veterans have been labeled as "would be terrorists" - as a returning veteran myself, it really pisses me off to no end.

Anyway, enough about that.

@fugawzee - definitley self destruct all your public social profiles and if you're gonna use them, use fake names.  Any site that has a Facebook button (I refer you to the icon line of social media functions below), any site that has that, even if you dont use facebook, facebook still tracks you by it.  I warned about this previously.

See

Facebook is tracking what you don’t do on Facebooka

and

Facebook tracks everything you type even if you don't post it.

By the way, this is how they are ushering in the total control technocratic system. They offer us services or discounts and in return we supply them with personal data. Any service that does this, beware. Even grocery store loyalty cards track what you buy and turn the information over to insurance companies.

Fair enough. Just for the record, I support your cause 100%, the NSA is taking the pass and there's nothing we can do about it. They seem to operate outside of the law, and the us government just sits there and let's it happen.

The NSA have been caught so many times with their pants down and they seem to think it's all just a big joke and we're just here for their entertainment.

It would be tragic if someone were to raze the place.

banlol.png

The way I look at it we're all fucked. With all the technology there is today and how we are all addicted to it they have all the information they want on us. With shit on social media posting locations you are or have been its no secrete anymore. Everywhere you go you eave a digital footprint. Why fight it. We are so accustomed to this way of life now. I don't see it changing. Even you Lee who tries to stay off the grid as much as possible you leave yours every time you use your debit or credit card. Order something from Amazon or eBay. They know everything they want to know. So fuck it. No point in fighting it.

Giving up is not an option.

I use social media as little as possible. I do other little things to throw them off. It's not lifestyle changing stuff, merely simple little things like paying for as much possible with cash. I accept that it's happening and although I can't fight it, I'm not going to make it easy.

banlol.png

Giving up is not an option.

I use social media as little as possible. I do other little things to throw them off. It's not lifestyle changing stuff, merely simple little things like paying for as much possible with cash. I accept that it's happening and although I can't fight it, I'm not going to make it easy.

Oh I'm a fighter but you have to pick your battles. This just seems like one that you won't win. By saying you in mean everyone not just you. :)

Not enough people are aware or care enough. They need to wake the fuck up.

People really are waking up man. Even normal people I see in my day to days are speaking up. I can feel it.  I used to not have anyone to talk to about it (I've been awake since 2007) but now I have at least 5 in real life I can talk to. That's a big deal.

check this out, facebook wants you to give it permission to read your text messages. And most people probably give it to them too because they don't bother to read the fine print.

FACEBOOK asks to read users' text messages...

3025589-inline-facebookapppermissions.jp

My brother's wife complained about this last week. Now I don't even use FB anymore, I never used their apps much but on android there is an app called XPrivacy which let's you control permissions for every app you install.

What's scarier to me is all the games and other apps people install, having permissions to access your location and Facebook/Google accounts. This means any allowed to do this can collect your password and personal info.

Here are some popular apps with those permissions that I have restricted on my phone

Screenshot_2014-01-28-18-09-06_zps88e20c

Screenshot_2014-01-28-18-09-15_zps48cb56

Screenshot_2014-01-28-18-11-13-1_zpsdc88