Teenager pays £450 for photo of Xbox one

Diddums

5583243-large.jpg

A TEENAGER has been left fuming after mistakenly buying a photo of an in-demand computer console online.

Peter Clatworthy thought he had paid £450 for an XBox One console on eBay, but actually received a picture of one in the post.

The 19-year-old student, of Bilborough, had saved up in order to buy a limited edition Day One version of the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four-year-old son, McKenzie.

He has now contested the purchase with eBay, which has investigated and stated he should get a full refund from the seller.

Mr Clatworthy said: "I've had to make a joke out of it because I was that angry. At least we've now got something to laugh about in the years to come.

"I always buy stuff on eBay and this had never happened before."

Mr Clatworthy made the purchase on November 28, paying £450 plus £8 packaging.

Despite the listing stating it was a photo of an XBox One Day One edition console, Mr Clatworthy said he'd expected to receive the console as it was listed in the video games and consoles category on eBay.

He said: "It said 'photo' and I was in two minds, but I looked at the description and the fact it was in the right category made me think it was genuine.

"I looked at the seller's feedback and there was nothing negative. I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal.

"It's obvious now I've been conned out of my money."

Mr Clatworthy received the photo in the post on Monday, saying: "They'd written on the back of it 'thank you for your purchase'. I was fuming."

The XBox One was released in the UK on November 22, with a special Day One edition reserved for those who picked the machine up on its first day of sale.

Since then, there have been reports of people buying empty XBox One packaging via eBay, and paying hundreds of pounds for the privilege.

When the Post searched for 'XBox One Day One edition consoles' on the website yesterday, a number of genuine consoles were up for sale.

There was, however, one lot of 'XBox One Day One edition retail packaging' which received 80 bids and sold for £7,200.

Mr Clatworthy was informed by eBay yesterday that, as he paid via PayPal, he can expect to receive a full refund from the seller, who has until Monday to pay up.

A spokesman for eBay, the online marketplace, said: "We don't allow listings which mislead, and will take action against this seller.

"Customers can shop with confidence on eBay as we guarantee you will get your item or your money back. Mr Clatworthy is covered by the eBay money-back guarantee and we will be contacting him to put things right."

Tessa Coates, Trading Standards Officer at Notts County Council, said: "We are not aware of an eBay scam of this nature.

"However, we would encourage all eBay buyers to pay for their goods using PayPal to give them extra protection.

"PayPal states that if the item doesn't match the seller's description or gets lost in the post then it will give the buyer their money back."

She added: "Our main tips for buying online generally this Christmas is make sure you're getting a good deal, know who you're dealing with and protect your personal and financial information."

Funnily enough, these are still being sold. It's such a blatant scam. I'd usually call him an idiot for falling for this, but having been myself by shit like this, it just pisses me off that this even exists.

banlol.png

I didn't even read all of it, the lack of black ink, I can't stop laughing. :lol:

Edit: 19yo with a 4yo buying a £450 gaming system. Sounds like he needs a smack not a next gen console. :ph34r: Good that It brings attention to things like this which I'm always amazed at. eBay has filters and prevention measures for these types of things but they are all over. Just like copyrighted material on youtube. I post something its immediately blocked but others post anything and its ok?

Thanks for the laugh. The printed image with no black ink and his face teared me up. :lol:

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

This happens all the time on eBay.

In my opinion though, if the listing stated in its description that it was a photo then it's the buyers fault for not reading the listing properly.

wiredollsig.jpg

:lol: Do some proper fucking work.

I once spent a summer taking pictures and duplicating a certain image in the photo multiple times in Photoshop. I would then send it on to my mate so he could guess which one was real. I did cars in car parks, put multiple flags on golf greens. It was the best 2 months work ever.

:lol: Do some proper fucking work.

I once spent a summer taking pictures and duplicating a certain image in the photo multiple times in Photoshop. I would then send it on to my mate so he could guess which one was real. I did cars in car parks, put multiple flags on golf greens. It was the best 2 months work ever.

I've been working and listening to Christmas movies/specials all day. 1951-Scrooge is going now, 1946-It's a Wonderful Life is next. Don't hate. :lol: Off to photograph a baseball for the web. Merry Christmas! :)

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

I read today in the paper that eBay have reimbursed £450 and they have passed on the sellers details to the relative investigative force.

Lol, that's ridiculous. What investigative force, the slightly misleading auction squad?

The listing said it was a picture and he even acknowledges it.

wiredollsig.jpg

I do feel that the seller needs to be held accountable for this. Not quite cops level, but at least a short vacation from eBay or something. It's blatantly obvious what he was trying, and we all know that legal or not, it's just not right.

For the same money, that could've been a TV or something, and it could've been your grandmother who's never used a site like eBay before.

I'd flip my shit.

banlol.png

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's obvious the seller was hoping someone would buy it thinking it was the actual console.

But the guy should've used a bit of common sense. If in doubt, don't fucking buy it.

wiredollsig.jpg

If the guy had common sense he would not have knocked up his girlfriend at the age of 15 and then decide that he should be spending 450 pounds on a gaming console for a 4 year old when he has little source of income (it says he is a student). I'm pretty sure the family can use that money on something more important. I'm also pretty sure that he's using his son as an excuse to get himself a gaming console. 

He's an idiot.