General rules of loot

What are the orders of each colour. Which ones should I focus on as I go through the ranks? The colours are different to what i'm used to on Destiny and Overwatch and it's completely throwing me!

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The concept of quality levels is important in the Diablo games and has existed since Diablo I. In the strict sense these refer to the six quality levels of equipment players can find:

• Inferior: These items are intended to be sell-able items and are not normally worn by the player. Also referred to as "junk". In Diablo III these items are close to worthless in terms of gold value and as such they mostly serve as filler-items that may drop from monsters. "Junk" in its purest form.
  • Common: Most normal items have no attributes associated with them unless they are of superior quality. They are the base item to be modified by other qualities.
  • Magic: Magic items have a few affixes on them that are reflected in the name of the item. For example, on the boots pictured at right, "Ornate" applies a +150% gold sell value to vendors and "of Accuracy" gives the boots an additional dexterity modifier.
  • Rare: Rare items are better magic items, spawning with more random properties. Blizzard has stated that they want rare items to have a chance to be better than legendary items because of the random modifiers.
  • Legendary: Legendary items replace Unique Items from Diablo II. They are powerful items with many preset properties that always appear on the same legendary items, though they also come with a few random properties that differ between items.
  • Set: Set items are similar to legendary items except they also provide additional properties if you equip items of the same set. Some set items can be crafted by an Artisan after finding corresponding recipes or dropped as regular loot at end-game.

Note that rare, legendary and set items can all be viable the most powerful depending on where in the game the player is and how rich the player. Rare items are in theory the best, provided they drop with favorable properties, while legendary and set items provide solid and consistent bonuses. Magic items of an equal level are generally weak however, and common items are always trumped by the other tiers.

Items of common, magic, rare, legendary and set quality can all be crafted by the blacksmith.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Thanks Rob. I think what gets quite complicated with this loot system is just undestanding what is better than the other as it states yellow rare pieces can be sometimes better than orange and green sets.

Where I need to research and know more about this game is when you pick up loads of loot as it's just easy to pick but you don't know whether it's any good, is there an easy mechanism to uderstand what is better or worse? I won't pick up anything less than yellow now but then its figuring out which piece is better than what you already have on.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb