Website known issues - Work In Progress to Fix ×

Sonic Boom in Oxford

About half hour ago I heard what could only be described as a massive explosion which made my house shake and nearly all my windows shatter. My neighbor in her garden was almost knocked off her feet! I had the TV on quite loud, was indoors with all the windows shut and I don't think I've heard something so deafening or powerful! I honestly thought it was a gas explosion next door or a bomb. I've only just stop shaking myself due to sheer shock and my fucking lasagna is ruined.  Now i have a bloody migraine and have to survey the garden to see if all the tiles are still on my roof!

It was heard just before 4pm in quite a sizable radius stretching towards Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes. Anyone else hear it? Jesus christ that was an unbelievable experience and whoever the pilot was to the plane can go screw himself.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14415605._Massive_bang__heard_across_Oxfordshire/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the original story has been modified from two jets taking off from Brize Norton (35 miles north or so from Oxford) going to Scotland in a hurry (for some reason) to two Typhoons acting in an emergency departing from Lincolnshire for an unresponsive aircraft heading towards Cardiff according to the MoD. That kinda makes more sense as there's no way the sonic boom would be so prominent or be heard in Oxfordshire when a plane is departing so far away and then taking into account the miles reached going north to generate the boom. Lincolnshire across to Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire heading south west means that the 'epicenter' for the boom would be in this vicinity and makes sense.

Hope the pilot gets a speeding ticket regardless of the circumstances B)  

Edit-

Cfh_F_PW4AEYOFn.jpgCfiESyqUEAAdvlL.jpg