Black Ops III Reveal Trailer

J4MES OX4D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be a solid game.  This generation might love it.  But, it's not the Call of Duty I once loved, and miss.  

Truth speaker.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Incredible! I just...

It's as if they created everything we didn't want, all at once...

That looks absolutely wank!

I'll probably end up buying it though, preorder for the beta atleast, play it for a week then forget it again I'm guessing...

blackops2sig.jpg

I dunno if I've outgrown COD or whether that was an exceptionally crap trailer but for me; BO3 looks utter rubbish that doesn't appeal in the slightest. Not only have they included everything that I don't like about the franchise now; the identity of the series is completely lost with all this futuristic robotic shit. With Infinity Ward up next and then Sledgehammer to look forward to; I think this could very well be the final nail in the coffin for me with this series. 

Felt like I just watched a trailer for AW!

I did as well.  That's all I could think of.  It was really off-putting.  I loved Black Ops and Black Ops 2.  I didn't have my hopes up at all about BO3, but I was secretly hoping it would surprise me.  Nope.  Just confirmed that it's time to move on from one of my favorite series.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

I've just watched the Advanced Warfare trailer for the first time in nearly a year and it's just streets ahead compared to the BO3 one. You can't judge a book by its cover and you certainly cannot judge a game by the trailer but despite not being a massive fan of AW; the narrative-driven, visually impressive and smartly edited reveal just seems far tidier, better structured and much more impressive. Sledgehammer really seemed to push the brand and the games's identity in their one but Treyarch's reveal was surprisingly sloppy and somewhat lucklustre for me. 

I'm just... what? Why? What were they thinking?

I could be wrong here, but isn't AW the least successful CoD to date? And Ghosts the one after that? (quick Google tells me that AW was 27% down on the sales before it) So why are they making these stupid decisions? I don't know about the heads at Activision, but if I try something and it works, that's great. If I try something else and it works less, then I go back to the first one I did and go from there. Right?

Let's have some numbers, according to Statisticbrain:

Call of Duty 2003 1,750,000 Call of Duty 2 2005 2,500,000 Call of Duty 3 2006 1,250,000 Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare 2007 13,500,000 Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 2009 23,000,000 Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3 2011 26,500,000 Call of Duty : World at War 2008 11,000,000 Call of Duty : Black Ops 2010 21,500,000 Call of Duty : Black Ops 2 2011 24,200,000 Call of Duty : Ghosts 2013 14,500,000

AW sadly isn't on the list but there's definitely a trend here. Ghosts sold 14.5m copies. MW 3 by contrast, sold almost double. BO2 weighed in at 24m.

So who in their right mind thought "I know, let's take our greatest sales figures to date, go as far away from those games as possible, and see if it works"?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

banlol.png

It just doesn't make sense to me.

After the reception AW got in the wider community; I bet Treyarch were deeply concerned - trouble is, they were already two years into developing BO3 by the time AW got released so it was too late to do a dramatic u-turn. I can't judge BO3 on what happened with AW but the general era isn't very appealing. 

I think Treyarch were possibly threatened by Titanfall at time time of producing BO3 at the start and decided to mimic that type of game to squeeze the competition but that flopped and so did Sledgehammer's game. Hopefully Treyarch's reputation will outweigh any concerns but they could have actually screwed themselves before they even started. 

The franchise is actually better-placed than it's ever been in regards to the cycle but they're just farming out futuristic titles now. Sledgehammer could handle future titles, IW could do the modern era and Treyarch could make the more classic games. That would be a good variety per year for me but this persistent future theme is getting extremely tedious.