Cities Skylines

J4MES OX4D

I bought this the other day although I haven't had a chance to start it yet but apparently it is amazing and far superior to Sim City. I think Jordie has it and I can't wait to get started on it hopefully next week. Also seen a modder has recreated San Andreas from GTA V already which looks fantastic! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406684124

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Cities XL which was the 2012 version, and it is FAR superior to Sim City.

I should be picking this one up tomorrow

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I have Cities XL which was the 2012 version, and it is FAR superior to Sim City.

I should be picking this one up tomorrow

It's a bit confusing but this game is actually nothing to do with the Cities XL etc... games - made by a completely different developer and not associated with it in any way. I was a bit confused at first because Cities XXL was just released recently and then Skylines popped up but it's actually a completely different (and supposedly better) game. Surprised there hasn't been a copyright war or something! This one is also far superior to Sim City (unsurprisingly) and a good price also. 

Fair Warning: XXL is SHIT on a shingle. It is terrible!

As to the rest, I had no idea! I honestly thought it was just the next in the series. Thanks for the heads up, I will give it a bit before I grab it then

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

This is very cool:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2ywf4c/maxislime_here_checking_in_with_my_first_art_mod/

This was my first attempt at modding CSL. The integration and support for mods is outstanding, and I really enjoy the game so far!

Huge thanks for the Colossal Order team for making it so easy for anyone to get content in to the game!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407004390[1]

With my mod of the base Coal Power Plant, you will have some slightly increased stats at the cost of minor increased noise pollution and increased construction cost. A custom model was used as well as various custom textures... I wanted to bring some dirty bricks in to the overall pastel palette that the game uses. All of the appropriate particles and entryways have been tuned, and size comparison on the grid is the exact same as the original garish and oddly futuristic coal building that shipped with the game.

Here are some more vanity shots from in game: http://imgur.com/a/9p88d#0

[2]

The whole idea with this specific asset was to try and get something out there as quick as I could, while learning as much as I could about how to generate content for CSL. Feel free to ask me anything about the creation process for this, as I could probably answer a handful of questions people may have regarding content creation.

Thanks for checking out my work... comments and critiques are appreciated for my next go-round!

edit: Here's a breakdown of my texture sheet and a wireframe/close up of the model http://imgur.com/a/OgvbS#0

[3]

Whats the deal with the "Districts"? 

You can break up your city into districts to help manage everything. If a residential area isn't happy, you can exclusively tax them less. If you want to specialize an industry, you can create a district for forestry. The level of details for these districts is pretty nice.

I grabbed it, so far, to be honest, I am not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed Cities XL 2012.

It went the route that Simcity 2k went.

I picked it up on release and had a tough time getting a city going in the beginning. I kept running into a budget deficit that I couldn't climb out of. Not unexpected really as it is my first game of this type. I've finally got a decent size city going now, but am only scraping by. Still need to figure out the best optimization of school/fire/police locations to cover the most area.

Bart - explain what you mean by Sims 2k as I'm not familiar with that game and want to know what you mean.

I do have one city where I'm playing with unlimited money and all features unlocked and that is actually tons of fun.

SimCity 2000 was the first real update to SimCity. It added in tons of micromanagement that I never liked to be honest.

Things like powerlines, not just above ground, but underground as well. In Simcity you had to have a source of power go to blocks, but adjacent blocks shared power, in 2k this was no longer the case.

Water lines were also added, along with pumping stations, etc.

I can't actually remember all the things added, but I remember playing it and it no longer feeling like SimCity. I was spending way to much time on the back end maintaining public works and not actually building my city or designing how it looked.

I know I was in the minority on this, as the game was a huge hit.

Skylines just felt like that to me.

I uninstalled it last night and went back to Cities XL 2012, as that one has a great mix of management and micromanagement in it. Sure I need water pumps, but I don't need to run lines to every block. I can put a pump in an area, and then watch it feed the rest.

Never played any of the Sims, but...yep sounds like Skylines has all the stuff you didn't like.

Personally I like all the micromanagement. It was a bit tough to get used to at first, but now that I have a better understanding of how it works I enjoy it. I feel it prolongs the game and really makes you work at building up your city.

But also, like I said - I do have a city that has unlimited money and everything unlocked from the beginning. You still have to run power lines/water lines etc, but since resources are unlimited, you can just spend 20 minutes building all that at the beginning and not really have to worry about that too much.

Thats cool, I wish Cities XL had that option. There is most likely a mod for that stuff.

Glad you guys like the game, it just really wasn't my cup of tea. I'd rather focus on laying out the perfect road map etc.

I also noticed you hated Cites XXL. I dabbled a little bit into it. It was my first game like this and didn't really mind it. It did seem fairly easy though. One thing I like about that game over Skylines is that you could add in the different classes of housing versus this game where  they level up.

I also noticed you hated Cites XXL. I dabbled a little bit into it. It was my first game like this and didn't really mind it. It did seem fairly easy though. One thing I like about that game over Skylines is that you could add in the different classes of housing versus this game where  they level up.

My problems with XXL were in how the game ran; and for once I was in the majority.

We were promised a ton of features and performance enhancements. When Focus released the game, there was no support for multi-core machines. There were huge issues in Street View. There were memory leaks,  and the system absolutely destroyed CPU1, maxing it out at 100% usage, regardless of the system specs.

Most users were forced to save/ reload every 30 minutes or so.

Focus has suffered huge backlash and is promising to fix all of these issues, sadly most of them would require a complete rewrite of the games backend.

TL;DR - Imagine Infinity ward coming out and saying they are releasing a new Modern Warfare 2 with all the bugs fixed, huge graphics updates, no more Commando lunge,  and much smoother gameplay. Then when you get the game you find out you basically got Duke Nukem Forever, with all of hte NPC's getting commando lunge, and random crashes or corrupt saves

This might help you guys out

http://imgur.com/r/citiesskylines

There is also a subreddit that gives great information as well.

I still recommend Cities XL 2012, or Platinum, as it is a solid game, with loads of mods. Also Anno 2070 if you want a futuristic game. Also, Age of Discovery

//City building has always been my passion, I tend to buy them all when I really shouldn't

This post specifically has impact regardless of the game you play

How to build Road networks!

http://imgur.com/a/WdJim