A must read post from Reddit

TigerBurge

I saw this tonight and wanted to share it. It's from reddit and gave me cold chills after reading

Let me tell you about BigBilly75. He is littlerally Big Bill. 6 foot 8 inches, could bear hug ya and crush ya. When I told him about Destiny and showed him the original teaser trailers, he was stoked. This giant of a guy is a sci fi nut and he was like - we gotta do this. We were hoping we would be able to play on a pc version together like we did with many other games but when we found it wasn't going to pc, he had a 360 and I had a PS3 and neither of us could really afford to go next gen. That and my cousin who I played in the beta with were committing to playing on PS3 together. Couple days before Destiny launches, he texts me a photo of him unboxing a brand new PS3 so we could all play. The fireteam was complete.

Big Bill worked a lot and I had weird hours too but we would play as much as we could, as often as we could. Mostly nights after work, but Bill would have early mornings and would start falling asleep so we couldn't get too much done sometimes. He started as a hunter cause he usually likes sniping in other shooter games but soon became frustrated. I told him to join me in the ranks of the titans, and punch everything. He loved it and didn't look back.

Cue this past week with the Iron Banner 2.0. We couldn't get enough, it was amazing. We had so much fun, and all the troubles we were having trying to get runs in to get him marks for better gear were solved in a week's worth of Iron Banner events. Suddenly we're geared up enough to start to think about attempting the Vault of Glass together. So we were gonna try this weekend and it was gonna be awesome. We would probably fail hilariously but we'd get some fun stories out of it.

Well things don't always go according to plan. Heh, none of the runs usually did, and that was half the fun! Chaos! Sometimes organized chaos, but all glorious and ALWAYS fun (except the first time we got purple engrams...that turned into yellow armour...for a hunter - for both of us...that we would never use). He wasn't the best player in the world, but he was one of the best people you could play with and still have a good time.

Big Bill was an awesome individual and would give you the shirt off his back to help you out. Every time we'd meet up in real life and have some drinks, we'd be talking about the good times we've had so far, and what to attempt next time.

Except there won't be a next time.

I found out that he passed away this morning after going into the hospital for an emergency yesterday. I'm still kinda in shock from all this, but thought writing this out would help me deal with this. It's all so sudden. I'm sitting here bawling like a little kid, but I'm writing about my friend.

Ultimately I'm going to have to log in to the game, go shoot a lot of things to get the frustration out of not being able to ever play another game with him. When I get that out of my system, I'm going to go find a nice quiet spot and just stare at the virtual sky for a while. Then I'll have to go deal with all this in reality.

Why am I writing this here? Well it's helping me grieve. Much easier to type rather than talk right now. And I'm remembering my friend. And this game, even though it's just a game gave me some of the most fun moments I've had gaming in a long time. And I'm glad I got to share alot of them with Big Bill.

Biggest titan I had the pleasure of knowing. You'll be missed.

TL:DR - screw you. I'm talking about my buddy and will write as much as I need to right now.

---Edit---

• Holy hell. Just read all the comments after wandering aimlessly in Destiny for the last couple hours. Many things have been punched. Many more still need to be punched. Thank you everyone. I think I will have to find a way to print all these comments out and give it to Big Bill's wife.

• I didn't explain why he was in the hospital because I just wanted to try and talk briefly about how he lived.

• The TL:DR is not to insult anyone, it was my little attempt at humour in this situation. More a 'if you think I'm gonna summerize this in one line for you, you'd be wrong'. Sorry if it offended anyone but I'm not changing it.

• The last strike we played was to help him get a flawless run as he just got his first yellow bounty. Was looking forward to helping him finish that.

Thanks again everyone. Thank you.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That brought tears to my eyes......but also a privilege to read and share with him

Same I was reading this on break and it gave me chills.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2noebb/we_lost_a_titan_today/

The comments are worth a read also