Philae Probe

Sennex

Dr.Matt Taylor just spoke to the BBC directly from ESA and said that its 'stable' and that they are currently trying to work out its orientation and will attempt to fire the harpoons again. BBC reported that when it hit the surface, it bounced back up into space for 2 hours and on the initial impact it had sunk a few cm into the surface meaning that its softer than anticipated and the screws probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

GMT 11:02 Its taken the first few photos of itself on the surface. Still not known whether the lander is on its side or whether its on a slope.

Photo of surface at site A upon the landers approach.  http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/78948000/jpg/_78948269_78948268.jpg

Another image of the descent.  http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/78948000/jpg/_78948267_78948266.jpg

GMT 11:05 Rough transcript from Professor Mark Laglouglin from ESA, Darmstadt:

On the surface, stable not moving. Two of the feet are definitely touching the surface. Bottom of the lander is looking at the ground so its not upside down. Science data is streaming and we are releasing images as they come. Larger panorama will come soon. Analysing rapidly the location and orientation. We are looking for it, it touched down 100m from where it was supposed to. The comet rotated when it bounced back up so we dont know where it came back down. Might be in site B. Its all under control however. All will become clearer later today.

We dont know fully yet if we will have enough sun to charge the secondary batteries. If its in a permanent dark position we will follow the plan and carry out primary experiments on the first charge. Anything successfully done afterwards will be fantastic.

clRpn1u.jpg

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this stuff, thought I wanted to be an astronomer as a wee lad.

Hell man I still want to be an astronomer when I grow up!

One of the nice things about my wife and I discussing the relocation to Kansas, is there is virtually zero light pollution. Sadly though, where the state is located on the earth, there isn't a lot to see. We are really in a great spot here in Alabama, there jsut happens to be lights everywhere, and almost constant cloud cover

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I love this stuff, thought I wanted to be an astronomer as a wee lad.

Same here.  It's the first career/job I remember ever wanting to have.  Well, not an astronomer, but an astronaut.  I was so blown away at how big everything was, but how small it looked because of how far away it is.  It still blows my mind.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

"It did not get enough sunlight to recharge its batteries sufficiently to extend its mission beyond its initial 60-hour work programme."

HOWEVER...

"Mission engineers do not rule out making contact with the lander in the coming months as Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko moves closer to the Sun."

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

"It did not get enough sunlight to recharge its batteries sufficiently to extend its mission beyond its initial 60-hour work programme."

HOWEVER...

"Mission engineers do not rule out making contact with the lander in the coming months as Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko moves closer to the Sun."

Yea, this sucks

https://time.com/3587221/comet-probe-philae-loses-power/

It had gotten through 80% of its scheduled observations

The first human probe to land on a comet went dark Friday night while sending data back to the European Space Agency.

In an online statement, the head of operations for the probe said, “this machine performed magnificently under tough conditions, and we can be fully proud of the incredible scientific success Philae has delivered.”

The probe lost power after bouncing into a shady area of the comet during its landing. Before losing power, the Philae accomplished about 80% of its scheduled observations.

Philae could soon regain power if its solar panels are able to pick up enough sunlight.

http://www.ibtimes.com/comet-landing-2014-rosetta-probe-philae-discovers-organic-molecules-report-1725228

The Philae space probe was powered down earlier than expected, but not before an instrument discovered an organic compound that was first detected in the comet’s atmosphere, the Wall Street Journal exclusively reported Monday. The find is extraordinary considering the organic compound contains the carbon atom, which is the basis of life on planet Earth.

Further research is being conducted to see if there are complex compounds like amino acids or simple ones like methane and methanol, considered “building blocks” for proteins.

The research “will help us to understand whether organic molecules were brought by comets to the early earth,” Stephan Ulamec, the Philae’s landing manager said, according to the Journal.

The European Space Agency (ESA) said the probe fell into hibernation after it only got 1.5 hours of light a day instead of the expected seven. Even though Philae “fell silent,” it was still able to send the information it retrieved while it was functioning -- that’s how the organic compound discovery was found.

“Prior to falling silent, the lander was able to transmit all science data gathered during the First Science Sequence,” Ulamec said. “This machine performed magnificently under tough conditions, and we can be fully proud of the incredible scientific success Philae has delivered.”

Before it went idle, Philae conducted 60 hours of work on Comet 67P, The Conversation said. One of its missions was to ascertain if complex organic molecules, which could have helped create Earth billions of years ago, existed on comets.

Philae’s landing was not only historical, but also a hit on social media. Philae’s monumental landing arguably overshadowed reality star Kim Kardashian’s nude photos from Paper magazine, even though the starlet intended to “break the internet.” Data showed more people talked about Philae’s landing by nearly 170,000 tweets, the Journal wrote in another article, citing Topsy. There were 479,434 tweets in 24 hours about the comet landing, while Kardashian had 307,782 mentions in the same time period.

FORGET ALL THAT

DID YOU SEE MATT TAYLOR'S SHIRT?
TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL AND SEXIST
LET'S FOCUS ON THAT, INSTEAD OF A HISTORICAL GROUND-BREAKING ACHIEVEMENT FOR HUMANKIND

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213819/your-bowling-shirt-is-holding-back-progress

Seriously. Look up "Matt Taylor shirt" and be amazed at the feminist outrage.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/shirtstorm

DM9ON.png

FORGET ALL THAT

DID YOU SEE MATT TAYLOR'S SHIRT?

TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL AND SEXIST

LET'S FOCUS ON THAT, INSTEAD OF A HISTORICAL GROUND-BREAKING ACHIEVEMENT FOR HUMANKIND

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213819/your-bowling-shirt-is-holding-back-progress

Seriously. Look up "Matt Taylor shirt" and be amazed at the feminist outrage.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/shirtstorm

this hurts my head so much its not even funny

#Shirtgate/ #shirtstorm can all go suck a fat herpes infested cock

I mean honestly the guy has done more in the last 10 years than any of these SJW's have down with the combined sum of their lives.

Also, what happened to Feminist wanting people to be judged by their character and not by their clothes? Whats the actual point of the Slut Walks they hold in NYC and other places in the country?

LkP7izR.jpg

Best part: The shirt was made for him, by his best friend, a woman Pin-up Artist