Look what followed me home....again.

Drifter

Yes it's yet another tank :lol: but I can't be blamed for this one. A buddy gave it to me completely free so how could I turn that down? Obviously needs a good cleaning, but with the extra height of it (it's 2ft tall) I think it will make a good home for a nice pair of Angels. Now once I clean it I just have to find a place to put it that is not already occupied by a tank lol.

Ny8dSN.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't got into saltwater marine. I love the looks of a salt tank, and the fish too, but with the amount of fishing trips that I go on I would most likely have issues with water parms on some of my longer trips. As it is now I am okay with freshwater and auto feeders for trips like my annual 2 week one, but with salt I think I would have issues being gone that long and away from the tank.

Haven't even owned it 12 hrs yet and it's already tanking shape :D

Was in much need of cleaning.

3dOlZB.jpg

T9kn8Q.jpg

The stand had paint marks on it from from his grand kids and the tank itself was covered in dried on algae, but after some elbow grease and scrubbing it all cleaned up very nicely. Glass has zero scratches on it which is nice.

evoH2h.jpg

The background I'm doing for this one is super thin so it does not take up much room since there's not a ton of room to start with. After the background is done I an thinking of using some spray on type foam to make some round underwater "vines/roots" that will adhere flush to the background itself then paint the vines brown to give it a realistic SA type look.

Current state of tank
VNDkxy.jpg

And where I decided to put it. Since the 265g is in the adjoining room which is my office I decided to rearrange a few things so I could have this tank in my work shop area so I can enjoy this one while I work at the bench since I spend so much time in this area.

8d9HgN.jpg

Was at Royal Tropical today and picked up a nice young trio of Angels for this tank today. Figure by the time they are done with quarantine the tank will be ready for them. They are small right now, probably about 3" tall with a body about the size of a silver dollar coin. I liked the coloration of these three as well as the nice long tails so couldn't resist bringing them home. Also picked up some nice flat "spider wood" pieces for a really good price so going to just go ahead and incorporate these pieces into the background rather than make vines.

kv7zYG.jpg
OUu2dv.jpg

Got the BG paint work and all the shading & highlighting done now. Went with a light sand/tan color with gray and darker shaded area then white highlights on the tips & edges. Also mounted the branches directly to the background so it's all one piece.

arDmo6.jpg

Background is siliconed into the tank now. Also picked up a couple more spiderwood branches to put on the bottom of the tank and then tie some plants to them. And picked up some various Anubias plants as well as some brwon/tan playsand which I think will mimic the Amazon bottom pretty nicely.

HuCGGO.jpg
 0g6VyZ.jpg