Campaign or Multiplayer first?

J4MES OX4D

I'm really looking forward to the Advanced Warfare campaign - it looks like they've really pushed the boat out for a spectacular story, locations and characters. I haven't really enjoyed a COD campaign since MW2 in all honesty - the last few have been pretty forgettable and typically more linear and generic than ever. The Black Ops 2 campaign was intriguing with the new gadgetry and essentially a Create a Class system where you could choose you're weapons, even from the past such as the Galil and AK47 but the missions, particuarly the Strike Force ones fell flat and became annoying. Ghosts was something new in terms of narrative but essentially the same old one-dimensional styling. The characters and locations were pretty lame although there were a couple of stand-out missions that looked and played pretty good. 

Apart from Ghosts; I have done all the campaigns first and I definitely want to experience AW this way. I am not one of those that wants to reach Prestige 10 by December and think that rank means anything because it doesn't in COD.

I can't wait to see the multiplayer in action but I think the campaign is shaping up really well and shouldn't be overlooked. I absolutely loved COD 4 and MW2's for their memorable missions on stunning backdrops such as Cherbobyl and the Russian airport. It's so tempting to jump into the multiplayer from the off but I enjoyed COD back in the day when I gradually saw the entire product unfold and not overlooking features or flitting between the modes here, there and everywhere. 

Campaign first for me, definitely! 

Nope they shouldn't even make a campaign. Most people don't even play it. It may look good but it's still going to play like all the others. Go here,wait. Follow this guy,shoot shit. Follow this guy,shoot more shit. A over dramatized ending that reveals enough to know there will be a sequel.

I always play the campaign and have enjoyed most of them (both Black Ops were kinda dumb). I usually mix the two together, play a level or two of the campaign before I hit the multiplayer. There's sure to be plenty of epic scenes with all the future tech.

I was curious about the "no one plays the campaign" statement so I checked the trophy percentages. Here they are, PS3/4 only of course (percentage that started campaign/percentage that finished):

World at War: 59.1/29.7

MW2: 56.8/33.8

Black Ops: 52.3/28.7

MW3: 63.4/33.8

BO2: 40.9/20.2 (side note: 65.3 reached lvl 10 in MP, 28.1 prestiged once)

Ghosts: 58.9/26.6

A youtuber did say that a greater percentage actually just play the campaign than multiplayer in response to a question on why reveal campaign first.

Personally I always used to play campaign first but I haven't played the ghosts one so doubt I will play aw first either, as said before its useful if internet goes down or if it unlocks something in multiplayer like in bf4.

I hope they finally add some meaning to the combat and escape from the usual; 'move forwards to activate checkpoint to stop enemies respawning' formula. The combat feels so bland and there are far too many scripted elements which many modern games are guilty of. Also hope it's more than just the 4-6 hours of the same old stuff.