Another plane goes missing!!!

tronic44

Passenger Jet Carrying 116 Vanishes From Radar

A plane thought to be carrying 50 French passengers disappears while flying from Burkina Faso to Algeria.

map-1-522x293.jpg

The plane was flying from Ouagadougou to Algiers but did not reach the city

Two French fighter jets are searching for a passenger plane which vanished from radar while flying over northern Mali in West Africa.

The jet carrying 110 passengers and six crew was travelling from Burkina Faso's capital Ouagadougou to the Algerian capital Algiers when it vanished around 50 minutes into the flight.

France's Transport Minister Frederic Cuvillier said it is "likely" there were "many" French passengers on board.

The pilot asked for permission to change route because of a storm around 20 minutes into the flight, said Burkina Faso Transport Minister Jean Bertin Ouedrago.

He said the plane's passenger list included 50 French citizens.

Flight AH5017 is owned by Spanish private airline Swiftair and operated by Air Algerie.

Swiftair said the aircraft took off from Burkina Faso at 1.17am local time and was supposed to land in Algiers at 5.10am local time but never reached its destination.

must-credit-aero-icarus-1-522x293.jpgA Swift Air MD-83 aircraft. Pic: Aero Icarus

The McDonnell Douglas MD-83 had been missing for hours before news of its disappearance was made public.

Ouagadougou is in a nearly straight line south of Algiers, separated by Mali where unrest continues in the north of the country.

Airlines had been warned not to fly over Mali in recent days, Sky News understands.

However, a senior French official said it is unlikely that fighters in Mali could shoot down a plane.

They are known to have shoulder-fired weapons which could not hit an aircraft travelling at a cruising altitude of some 33,000ft.

Given the course the plane was believed to be on, it would have been near Gao international airport in Mali when it dropped off radar.

Sky's Alistair Bunkall said there are reports in the Algerian media that the plane crashed after running out of fuel.

generic-of-oug-airport-must-credit-sputnAH5017 took off from Ouagadougou airport in Mali. Pic: Sputniktilt

But given the plane was 50 minutes - or about 300 miles - into its journey that is unlikely to be a cause, he said.

"A source is telling me that air traffic control asked the aircraft to divert near the Algerian border because of bad weather and to avoid another aircraft," Bunkall said.

"If true, I assume it didn't collide with the other aircraft otherwise we'd have reports of a second missing plane."

Swiftair has a fleet of more than 30 planes flying in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

AH5017's disappearance comes less than six months after Algeria's worst air disaster in a decade.

Some 77 people were killed when a military transport plane carrying members of the Algerian armed forces and their relatives hit a mountain and crashed near the village of Ouled Gacem in the east of the country.

http://news.sky.com/story/1306685/passenger-jet-carrying-116-vanishes-from-radar

This is becoming almost unbelievable now!

That's pretty much 3 in the space of a week! I hate flying and this sort of thing doesn't really calm the nerves.

I hope the wrap this one up quickly so the families can try to get on with their lives. (i've said that far too much this year)