Windows 8.1 connectivity problem

Plumbers Crack

I hope you guys can help.

For reasons of space and the demise of WinXP support we've migrated to a Sony Vaio lap top at home

It came with Windows 8 which I updated to 8.1

I removed the pre-installed 30 day trial AV software and installed Sophos which is what we use at work and are encouraged to use at home if we work from home, which I do.....and it's free. I have never had any problems with Sophos in the past so don't think it's the culprit here

The laptop is set up for dual user and I have the admin rights on my account

The problem is I cannot reliably connect to the internet through IE from the desktop. It will connect OK through the "Modern IU" app look alike panel. If I use the netsh winsock reset command (I really don't understand too much here, I'm just trying what I found on the web) It will work to let me connect to my home page but navigate away from that and it doesn't want to know

Unfortunately, the software I use to connect to my work account (LogMeIn) works best in desktop IE mode. I can use it with restrictions through the app but it looks crap and I need to be able to see details

I've also had to turn off the Sophos firewall but my IT guy says that shouldn't be too bigger deal as most modems are routers nowadays as well

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the wall of text

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

This is a pain in the ass and one I've just gone through with Kyla for her distance learning stuff. 

First off, can you connect to anything at all, or is it just your Logmein that's not working?

banlol.png

Thanks Dave,

If I purge this winsock thing and restart I can log into my home page in Internet Explorer from the Desktop. I can log into anything using the Internet Explorer "app" on the opening screen.

From some sites I've visited looking for answers this appears to be quite a wide spread problem and affects other broswers as well which makes me think it's an OS problem?

OK, XP was buggy but, it mostly worked....why change it? oh, I forgot,  $$$$$ :rolleyes:

Just tried that Dave - works great until I try and connect to the remote PC using LogMeIn which doesn't like protected mode because it uses ActiveX (?). Click the button, IE throws a hissy fit and we're back to square 1. Do winsock thingy, restart, everything works OK again

If this was a car or a new electrical appliance we'd be up in arms and taking it back, but because it's a bit of software or a computer we put up with absolute bullshit!!!! :angry:

Result!! Sort off.......

Restore to factory condition to Win 8 - LogMeIn works OK!

Install Sophos AV suite -  LogMeIn works OK

Install 82 Win 8 updates - Logmein fails

Google different scenarios until we hit on the Microsoft Support suggestion - Disable settings in msconfig a block at a time to see if we find the culprit and....BINGO!!

Conflict between the Sophos Client Firewall/Firewall Manager (if you have followed this, you'll remember the FW is switched off) and Internet Explorer

This now (hopefully) appears to be working and we are NOT touching the 8.1 upgrade button!

Have you tried the msconfig answer in my post before you go back coz going back literally takes hours!!

I could roll mine back as it came with Win8.0 factory installed.

If you want to do it search for "refresh" in the side bar search box but back up all data, etc first as it will come back all shiny and empty. It'll probably work straight off the bat but may throw a fit when you've done the 80+ updates

Try the msconfig tip first would be my path as it probably won't take you longer than 30-40 mins depending on your reboot time

The recommended way was to do half at a time. If you get connectivity after doing one half, then you do half of the half that has the problem in it until you find what is causing the conflict

Before you start and everytime you try it, make sure the check box that says something like "hide all microsoft services" is ticked

Hope it works for you! :)