Upcoming games! How do you feel about the future of gaming?

Luseth

So the past few day's I have realised I have for the better part of the past year missed out a lot on the games that I typically have enjoyed the most in the past and really what got me into gaming and that's my JRPG's.

Generally the gaming market feel's stale at the moment and when it comes to triple A titles very few of them excite me.

However I spent some time yesterday looking at the sorts of games I historically have enjoyed, more akin to Final Fantasys and I have realised there has been and is continuing to be a bit of a boom with regards to the quantity and quality of what is being produced and this has completely passed me by.

So typically I don't pre-order many games but I wanted things booked in for the rest of the year so to speak and have pre-ordered 3 games, the first being Dragon Age where I have loved each game but the other 2 (ordered for the Switch) are JRPG's, games that don't typically use the same extreme sized budgets that we see with Western Triple A titles and upon looking at them there are probably another 2 or 3 I could have ordered (though money does not allow currently) as well as a promising looking year next year.

So all of a sudden things are looking less stagnant for me and I am also now aware of a whole bunch of games that passed me by.

However it also got me thinking that if your a big fan of our Western style of games then the landscape is looking a little bleak and barren for a while it seem's, so just getting your thoughts? Are you expecting to be playing COD for the next year? Are you anticipating you will still mostly be playing games from yesteryear all next year?

Luseth.png

Personally, I would say the next 12/18 months is looking pretty exciting! 

For me I’m looking forward to playing the following (roughly in order of release):

- Black Ops 6 (game pass)

- Fear the Spotlight 

- Stalker 2 (game pass)

- Indiana Jones (game pass) 

- Marvel Rivals

- Assassins Creed Shadows 

- Avowed (game pass)

- Ghost of Yotei

- Fable (game pass)

- GTA 6 

- Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra 

- South of Midnight (Game Pass)

- Splitgate 2

These are just the ones we know about, I’m sure there will be some good surprises too (who would have guessed Helldivers 2 would have been that good!) 

I’m sure the games I listed won’t all be as good as I’m hoping, but I’m definitely excited for them and there’s nothing wrong with that! 

I'm not really hyped for anything and I'll just take each half-decent release as it comes. Only GTA 6 truly stands out as a potential generation-defining title and whilst there is a few other ones that should be received well, there's nothing really ground-breaking. We are 4 years into this generation and there's not been much at all worth talking about - most of it has been negatives surrounding pricing, unfinished games, disappointing releases and a lack of any ambition. 

I really hope we see some top releases like we did towards the end of the PS4 era but right now, I am more happy about playing classics. Right now, Japan are the only ones delivering.