Games With Epic Combat Mechanics

Every so often I stumble upon, or revisit a game which is just the equivalent of crack in terms of highly enjoyable and pulsating combat. These games just have that extra something which really stands out and where the combat shines mechanically and even visually. Off the top of my head, I'd say 3 games which really stand out are:-

Metal Gear Rising - fast paced, responsive, smooth and incredibly satisfying melee-based combat. 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

F.E.A.R - inspired by Max Payne's bullet time feature but with additional immersion thanks to the first person perspective.

Max Payne 3 - bullet time never gets old plus the attention to detail and environmental effects look spectacular.

There's probably loads more that I've forgotten about but what are your standout games that just have that little bit more in terms of the combat? 

Ashamed to say I haven’t played those 3 games! I believe I played a little bit of Fear 2 but don’t recall much of it! 

For me the first game that comes to mind is SIFU. I really fell in love with the combat in this game, learning to master the game was both challenging and rewarding, and beating it and earning the platinum was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had in gaming! 

Some other games that come to mind are Control, and going back further I would say Splinter Cell Conviction (although I’m not sure if the gameplay still holds up today!) 

IMG_4060.jpeg

20 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

This is also a great example of what can be achieved in Max Payne 3 - so incredibly satisfying to pull off 

and a nice explanation of the details

Seeing your screenshots and watching these clips has made me want to play this game! Always heard good things but never got around to it. Just looks like a lot of fun! 

Whilst some may not think its as challenging as the super hard games we expect, Hogwarts Legacy has one of the most satisfying gameplay controls to play with in an RPG. I've managed to find this small clip online that shows a small part into the spells and combos, including how you can flip to flying so easily mid-battle. There's so many combo spells to choose from, it really is a whole lot of fun. Smooth is the perfect word for it. No wonder it was the biggest selling game of 2023.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Dishonored is another one that is commonly overlooked probably because most people play in low chaos or just don't make the most of the powers on offer. I certainly am nowhere near good or creative enough to pull off half the stuff in this video but it just goes to show what can be done if you go beneath the surface and really utilise everything on offer.