GameBattles closing down in January 2024

The website that used to run the main place to get squad battles and create tournaments for fun and cash against other teams all around the world is shutting down 15th Jan 2024.

The FAQs have this reason stating why its closing:

Activision Blizzard is planning to sunset and no longer host the GameBattles platform. The company is committed to providing account holders the opportunity to transact any balance through pay-to-enter competitions and micro-transactions before January 15th, 2024. Thank you to the GameBattles community for your loyalty.

I didn't think it was a big thing these days as much as it was back in the old CoD era, and with pop-up communities that can run tournaments on discord, or other templated websites at ease, it probably would struggle going on its own without Acti Bliz support on their platform.

I remember us trying to do it for Rainbow 6 Siege when we were playing it regularly but it never ended up being anything here.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

That's a name I haven't heard in a very long time - giving me almost Machinima vibes! It was a pretty nifty concept until Activision bought it way too late in the day. They did nothing much with it and have really struggled with eSports in general. Should've probably capitalised on the idea around 2009-12 rather than several years later when competitive gaming was heading in a more professional and lucrative direction. 

Microsoft seem to be going in for the cull and I think the Overwatch League was one of the first to be offed. If that can't survive then GameBattle wouldn't have stood any chance. Games like COD are way too broken and corrupt these days so unless you are hosting a LAN event with fixed balanced weapons then I wouldn't trust any match to be fair especially from an Activision brand.