Mortar tips (BF3)

L_C_Scipio

I'm trying to complete an assignment to get some LMG or other, which requires two mortar kills. I got one on the first shell I fired and have been unsuccessful getting another one, even on stationary targets. Is there something I'm missing or does it just take some blind luck?  

Conquest or Dom is the best way to go for mortar kills.

I've racked up a kickass number of 3 kills with the mortar since I started using it, which is awesome!

(I wish it counted the number of assists I have gotten, that would be about a hundred easy)

The thing with the mortar that I learned in BF3 is that you can sort of lock an area if you plan it right. Don't just spray your shells everywhere, the BF4 mortar only allows that with your first series of launches, then it takes forever to reload, until eventually you can only ever drop one shell through it every like 30 seconds.  So sit well outside of a capture point, wait for it to start flashing and then just bracket the area with shells.

also, you can be about 50m away and still use the remote to activate it. So if you want to be a dick, put one near the Pussy assed recons on your squad, run away, and then just randomly lob shells around. The Recon will draw the fire then for you, because the mortar will light up the enemy map regardless of what suppressor attachments they may be using. enemies will come to kill the mortar, and then BAM dead pussy

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I used Dom as well, the burn area for the flag is much smaller than on Conquest. So the likelihood of hitting someone is higher.

My issue with Dom was that on most maps the flags have some sort of overhead cover, unless you are on the China Rising dom maps.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

oh shit!

I missed the BF3 part as well.

Uh Caspian Border TDM is good. Head to Dick Rock (the big rock by the school bus Close to where the C and B flags are in Conquest)

Set up shop and hammer the Buildings repeatedly

or, considering the short range, follow the outer map border, find where snipers are set up, setup the mortar near them, and then bomb them. There isn't really a minimum range for the Mortar in BF3. Lobbing shells at Recon sniping across the map is loads of fun. Most are pretty dumb as well in that they will be hardscoped in, and will never see making your way around the edges.

Ohhhh didn't see the bf3 part, in that case metro rush, the outside area, I got alot of kills on defense using it.

That's a good shout! I did this on BF3 and it's pretty effective as the outside area is not huge and despite the luck needed; you pretty much know roughly where the opposition are gonna be. 

Ended up getting this done on Conquest on Metro. Had the other team pinned in their spawn so I got out the mortar and lit them up. It felt so wrong, but any dirty tactic is acceptable as long as you're trying to complete an assignment, right? ;)