Is there a standout console this generation?

Luseth

There has been recent discussion around pro consoles and such already but to me it does not feel like the generation has really gotten going (hampered by Covid to some extent).

That said after Xbox's reveal the other day I sat and wondered if any of the consoles really jumps out at me this generation. PS5 vs Xbox seems much of a muchness, that said with the Series S it is much more easily attainable by everyone with it's entry price tag. There are a lack of AAA titles anyway and those that are tend to be on both platforms currently with the odd exception i.e. spiderman and errrm maybe Forza for Xbox

That said I think I tend to be drawn towards the Switch and even the Steam deck as being the best options this generation, portability with enough power I can slouch on the sofa of an evening and play some great games.

So is there anything that really jumps out at you this generation?

Luseth.png

It's been very disappointing so far - I've barely touched my PS5 of late and now Xbox has hit a brick wall after some initial promise with the game pass format. Phil Spencer's recent, and quick frank interview after the Redfall disaster was actually very telling - it seemed incredibly downbeat, defeatist and gave a harsh reality on where Xbox currently stands against Sony and Nintendo. The PS5 has had the occasional exclusive but there's been no system seller and even Starfield on the Xbox may not be enough to radically change their fortunes as people can just get it on PC and have a far superior experience even with hardware that is 5+ years old. 

If you have a competent PC and a Switch, you currently have all bases covered basically. Xbox have just announced a new Series S console which has been met with fury because that unit is seen as holding games back as their own developers are under pressure to downscale so they can achieve a respectable performance. Starfield being locked at 30fps is also a miserable announcement especially when 60fps at the very least was promised by all Xbox games going forward. 

Things have even been a bit dry on PC depending on what you're looking for from new releases but the options are endless on older games. The most successful games of this generation so far have been remakes and there doesn't seem to be much in new ambitious IP's on the horizon and that's a testament to scumbag publishers and developers lacking original ideas. I made a thread several weeks ago covering games from 2008 where there were so many quality titles on the horizon, you actually had to make sacrifices on what to buy because there wasn't enough time. Crazy how times change. 

I think as much as the Switch can only do 30fps docked, I think we'll look back and see that it is an incredible piece of kit that really elevates certain games, far superior and different to the Wii too. Having said that, teh PS5 games are slowly starting to churn out and weirdly even though I feel its been a slow year, some developers have started to use the real potential of the graphics. I just wish there was more games that used Haptic feedback in the controllers in creative ways...maybe it was something that developers couldn't get their hands on until the last few years. Maybe another 12 months will change the leaderboard.

Xbox really just feels to me like a portable PC now they have Game Pass. I don't see much reason to buy it given I have my own PC at home. I'd rather buy a Steam Deck than the Xbox which is a real shame given how much love I had for the OG Xbox and the 360.

Forum Signature Test.png

Each system has its own thing in this gen.  So far at least. 

Xbox with game pass is too good of a value for any gamer.  In Canada, they also have a deal with a payment plan that let's you grab a series x, 2 years of ultimate game pass, and it's $45 CDN a month for 2 years.  That instantly saves people from burning a massive hole in their wallets so yay!

PS5 has had some huge, first-party epics that have been memorable but I haven't gone back to replay any of them save for starting a new game plus on Ghost of Tsushima.

Nintendo has their first-party stuff that almost always ranks well. 

PC has been fairly consistent with a lot of options for new experiences, and the old reliable ones.  The steam deck makes it a great portable option now.

I've honestly been all over the place with gaming as of late.  I just kind of go where the next one takes me.  Currently, PS5 and FF 16, but come next week, that could change.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*