Hi-Fi Rush

So this one was announced and released during the xbox developers event yesterday.  Made by the studio responsible for The Evil Within series, It's also a Day one Game Pass release too, so I downloaded it and gave it a go this evening.  It's a very bright and colorful graphical style, but the gameplay is a mash-up between a DMC type action, and a rhythm based game.  The whole world runs to a beat of a tune, and all attacks, dodges, jumps, and movement is in synch with the beat.  Timing button presses to the beat gives a damage output bonus too, and even the enemies attacks adhere to the same rules, so predicting attacks can be fairly easy to judge.

It's been a fun little game so far.  Check it out if you've got game pass.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

This has been quite the fun game.  It's so rare to see a triple A studio make/release a game lately that isn't a open world, MMO, microtransaction riddled slog.  

You're introduced to some new mechanics as you progress.  Specifically when needed to break enemy shields, enemy armor, or stage traversal mechanics.  Switching between each is done by pressing the LT and using the with R2.  It can get a bit hectic during some enemy encounters, and one specific area for traversal, where you have to switch between them while on a timer during some platform jumping.  

Jumping is a bit weird.  There's some moments when you'd think a normal single jump would easily clear a section, only to have you fall to your death.  Yet, other times where it works fine.  It got to a point where I just said "fuck it" and used the double jump for everything, and included the air-dash for good measure

Boss encounters have that "wonderful" sectioned life bar that causes the boss to change up a bit each time.  The only instant where that doesn't happen, is around the mid-part of the game, where you're tasked with only defending a certain boss.  I actually found that encounter to be one of the better ones in the game so far.

As I mentioned before, combat is all about keeping to the beat of the level.  You gain a damage buff when you're perfectly in sync, and all enemies and bosses adhere to this as well.  

I've got one more stage to go, but I'll be doing another run through to get some missed collectibles and upgrades.  Definitely worth checking out for all you game pass subscribers.  As far as I know, It's only on the series X/S.

I seen that @J4MES OX4Dlaughed my ass off too.