Will modern consoles last?
Posted

Just looking at my retro collection the last few days, it's quite brilliant when you consider how old some of it is and how well it has lasted.

But it got me thinking, will modern consoles last as well? Will we even be able to play half the games in 20-30 years time when they have turned off servers and you can't get the day 1 patch to make a game playable?

Are we just going to have a load of doorstops in a few years time?

Luseth.png

The Best Video Game Story
Posted

For me I have a few, I think it would be really difficult to choose 1 -

Trails of Cold Steel - These are JRPG's with a sort of Westernised story i.e. when you really look beyond the JRPG element of it with the cutesy characters, females with big chests it plays out like a game of thrones style of thing with some of the politics going on.

The Witcher - For this to be on none of your lists so far it is criminal. This for me is just the best game full stop. The story is brilliant and only adds to it.

The last of us PT 1 - That has to be on anyone's list, the relationship between the two characters and the journey they go on.

Chrono Trigger - This game takes you through so many worlds and there is some really creative elements within.

Final Fantasy IX - For me it's like going to the theatre in the way the story is told, the relationships and then they way life & death is explored. I mean certain moments with Vivi are heartbreaking.

Luseth.png

So this was voted on with the BAFTA's recently and I feel like it was voted on by film lovers rather than video game lovers.

The final result was Lara Croft, why??

Surely the likes of Mario, Crash, Link, Zelda, Pac Man, Sonic, Master Chief and even Pikachu are more iconic than Lara Croft? Oh wait she did have a couple of films once....

So who is FG's most iconic character?

Luseth.png

With Dragons dogma and it's reception I thought it may be worth a separate thread?

Micro transactions have been around a while with games like Fifa and FUT, in fact from memory Two Worlds 2 had them?

They are here to stay but are they being implemented in the right way?

I have always been fine with them bringing in cosmetic changes to a game, visuals, the way a character looks. Pay to win is always a no for me.

Studios do mention fairly frequently now the financial burden of making big triple A titles and looking at way's to recoup their costs, some have opted for higher game prices but then gamers complain about the high prices (we still yearn for yesteryear when a game cost £40), they bring in cheap simple DLC or in the latest attempt bringing micro transactions into games that maybe do not fully warrant it.

So, do they have a place and if so how would you implement them? Or would you prefer that video game prices just go up instead and we keep away from them?

To me they are the equivalent of netflix and such bringing in adverts and / or strategic placement of items in films or games that advertise a product to generate additional revenue and generally people have not really been too bothered by these sorts of things.

Luseth.png

Video game club
Posted

I don't know if this will get any interest as most people are here for multiplayer gaming but thought I'd give it a try.

I was thinking it might be a nice idea to try doing a game club similar to how a book club runs, we all vote on a relatively inexpensive single player story driven game to buy and play through over the course of a couple of months and then jump on chat one night a week or even discuss it in here and how we are getting on with it, what we are enjoying and not enjoying etc etc, talk about the writing, the story etc.

Would that peak anyone's interest? With games such as Baldurs gate down the road where you can approach things so differently it could be good fun I thought.

Anyway, yeah will see if there's any interest first 🙂

Luseth.png

Playstation Plus Free games
Posted

Not my sort of games so don't think I will get much out of this month, note that Witch Queen is not a new offering either and was on PS Plus previously, this is obviously just to try and draw players in before the new expansion I suppose.

Luseth.png

Xbox Exclusives To PS5?
Posted

Not really surprising, couple the poor console sales with the fact I think they view gaming going to a more streaming based service I would be surprised if we see more than maybe 1 more physical xbox generation and everything going cloud based in the next generation or so for Xbox.

The only way this works for Microsoft is to make it so that their content reaches the biggest audience that it can.

The other plus for us as PS5 owners is that it may potentially mean Fallout, Elder scrolls etc won't be locked behind Microsoft devices (though with the next releases they may be timed releases).

Luseth.png

Playstation Plus Free games
Posted

I will give them a go, I usually do so anyway at some point. Steel Rising I had looked at before as it is by a studio that has produced some games I have quite enjoyed albeit they tend to have issues technically. This is a bit of a souls like game if that takes people's interest but I think at the time the reviews mostly complained about that because it didn't really bring anything new to the table.

Luseth.png

Spec Me An Game
Posted

If you want full on rpg then Final Fantasy 14 is meant to be really good though I have never gotten round to playing it or elder scrolls online (I picked this up recently and plan to give it a go once I finish Cyberpunk)

If you want single player titles that others can hop in on then Badlurs Gate, Elden Ring maybe.

If you want games similar to destiny then maybe the division 2, Outriders (it didn't quite take off but I enjoyed it), deep rock galactic but I think you need a squad or Helldivers 2 comes out in a week and I think that's going to do pretty well.

Luseth.png

OpenCritic Challenge 2024!
Posted

This could be fun, I wonder if @GazzaGarratt could do this as a prediction league through the FG site as well?

I think mine would be -

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League - 64

Foamstars - 72

Helldivers 2 - 86 - I think this will be a surprise hit

Skull and Bones - 74

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 86 It will do well but I feel like the series is riding on it's highs of yesteryear still.

Alone in the Dark - 68

Dragons Dogma 2 - 84

Princess Peach: Showtime - 88 (Again it will do well cuz nintendo fanboys I think)

Rise of the Ronin - 78

South Park: Snow Day - 72

Black Myth: Wukong - 82

STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl - 80

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine 2 - 75

Star Wars Outlaws - 90

Little Nightmares 3 - 80

Avowed - 78

Towerborne - 76

Hellblade 2: Senuas Saga - 88

Indiana Jones - 78

Luseth.png

AI is something that is going to affect a lot of us and a lot of the jobs we do in the future, it just got me thinking of how many jobs are already being affected within the video game industry and if more measures should be brought in to combat or restrict some of it (for all roles and sectors)

AI art has come a long way in the last couple of years, is there now any need for someone to sit there creating concept art or could the person with the idea for the game sit down and type a few words, hit refresh a couple of times until they get something they like? Similarly are we far away from say using Chat GPT from writing the story behind the next Fallout or Call of Duty games? I imagine they probably could do so already? But then if AI is taking away those roles and ultimately helping the cost of games or media to come down will that ever translate into the price we pay for content?

Luseth.png

Gaming in 2024
Posted

There are quite a few that I am interested in this year however I think I will have to be selective or wait for things to drop in price this year with everything that's going on at home, a few of the notable games for me -

- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

- Stalker 2

- Star wars outlaws

- Suikoden 1 & 2 remaster

- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2

Luseth.png

FG Game of the Year
Posted

I voted but realise I messed up one of my votes and put Final Fantasy XVI, I should have picked Hogwarts Legacy woops!

My other 2 choices are Baldurs Gate 3 and Fire Emblem Engage, I played Baldurs gate in turn based and I tend to enjoy more strategic combat so you can see why Fire emblem was my other pick. Both games were great in there own way -

Baldurs Gate 3 - The relationships between characters, the creativity in how you can approach quests, I even got around one boss I was struggling with by talking to him with one person and then pushing him off a cliff with another. If anyone ends up picking this up on PS5 I would be up for playing a co-op playthrough and approaching things a bit differently ^_^

Fire Emblem Engage - The story is decent, the colours are wonderful and happy and it keeps a particularly refined combat system going along lovely.

Luseth.png

Game of the Year
Posted
On 12/12/2023 at 3:51 PM, WelchyTV said:

Ok so one problem with the poll is that I can either limit it to one selection per person, or unlimited selections. The other thing is that it’s limited to 20 games.

Easy solutions: ask everyone to limit their picks to 5 and trust that everyone will stick to that. Also, if more than 20 games are nominated, then the games with the least nominations will have to miss out. 

Most votes wins! If there are multiple games with the same amount of votes then that will be fine, unless it is tied for top spot. My suggestion would then be that a final poll is created to decide the winner. If still a tie, then that will have to be the outcome! 

Does this sound good to everyone? It keeps it on the forum/site rather than an external survey website. 

What is the best way to reach as many members as possible to vote? Can we add something to the articles page, or is there a way to send a notification to everyone? 

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions so far, hopefully this will be fun and a success! 

I think people here are should be able to limit their picks to 5 ^_^

As for reaching members, when you set it up there is a whatsapp group @GazzaGarratt not sure if Welchy has had an invite to it? That might be the best way, just drop the link into the whatsapp announcements maybe?

Luseth.png

Playstation Wrap Up 2023
Posted
12 hours ago, WelchyTV said:

I would definitely be interested in joining @Lurchzy, however as a Dad of one (and soon to be Two) my available is sporadic at best! 

Happy to be a reserve?! 

It's a bit of a drop in session, if you find you are free on a Monday (sometimes Sunday) evening just jump in the party and we will get you in 🙂 

Luseth.png

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy