Your first ever FPS?
Posted

I said Goldeneye on the N64 in chat the other night but DOOM is probably my earliest FPS.  Though both were played on other peoples computers / consoles.  I think my first FPS was probably Battlefield 1942 as I can't think of any earlier than that.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

E3 Cancelled
Posted

Most gaming related events seem to focus on current and upcoming games but looking at numerous ComicCon's there's some focus on teaser trailers for new things but a lot of the panels and guests are from old shows.  So I think it could be cool to have a retro focused one in a similar vein especially as 5, 10+ years later people might be more open about some of the things that happened during production.

Virtual reality / Augmented reality
Posted
3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

For some reason I feel like its extremely gimmicky for the price tag and the games you get with it just don't do much after the first 5 minutes of that 'wow' factor.

I agree with you and I think that, much like many 3D films, many games do it as a gimmick or addon.  However a game like Alyx, much like Avatar for films, that is made specifically for VR then it can show off VR in it’s best light.

Though on second thoughts, I’d probably go for niche rather than gimmicky as the adjective of choice.  Which ties in to, as you said, the types of games people play.

Unlike 3D films though, VR seems to have more of a foot hold so maybe we’ll end up with Ready Player One and look back at this era as we do today to tiny black and white tv’s.

Virtual reality / Augmented reality
Posted

The PSVR was my first experience in to VR and it was great and it convinced me enough to go for a proper HMD.  Due to my large head and IPD my only choice was the Index, which if memory serves, is the same resolution as the Quest.  They're definitely a massive step up over the PSVR in both HMD quality and controllers.  I've only really played Half Life Alex on it and the rest of the time it's used for racing and rallying.  I do sometimes wish it would be more portable/wireless as it would have been great to take to Wales for example but the tracking accuracy and high refresh rate it hard to pass up.

As for good and bad, I can't say I've had any bad experiences with it and only got motion sickness a couple of times.  Though both were exception cases; doing corkscrew roles in No Mans Sky and using a 3rd person camera in ETS2.  Though it does vary person to person, my Dad has had a few goes with VR on my racing rig and after a few minutes has to stop.  Though I have read a number of people saying they've been able to build up a tolerance by playing a little each day until they can play for longer and longer.

As above, I bought mine with the almost sole intention of using it for racing which I think simulations are the best use for VR.  Though I know a few people who enjoy things like Beat Saber and games like Superhot in VR too.  There's a couple of of FPS games which look like fun but are apparently quite difficult.

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

But those friends could game anywhere and as cross play comes in more and more (it does seem to be getting there) there is less reason to stick with either of the 2 main consoles anymore going forwards I think.

I'd put a lot of the blame at the feet of cross play & cross gen.  Old generations, it always seemed the first 6-12 months were a slow uptake but this would swell until the vast majority of people upgraded.  With more and more games supporting cross play and cross gen, there's less reason to upgrade when you can play the same games with the same friends just with slightly worse graphics.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think now we're just seeing the natural closeness because technology doesn't grow as quick as it used too. I mean, our eyes can only see as good as they can....mine probably doesn't see much difference after HD now!

I disagree on this, Moore's law might not strictly apply these days we're still roughly following it which means continued advancements in computational power.  The problem is how that power is being used; I will be getting the new CoD but, outside of the graphics, is there anything actually in the game that couldn't have been done 2, or more, generations ago?

Generally speaking all we've seen of more power, both CPU and GPU, is better graphics and bigger open world maps.  There's been little advancements in leveraging the processing power to make better games; things like object permanence or our actions having impacts on the game world outside of a few predefined story paths.

4 hours ago, JamaicanSteve said:

I concur, Tad and I only use the Realm server but it would be a shame to see all the builds go to waste. 

I should be able to contribute more to sever costs this year and next. 

For the modded server, I download the world before changing pack.  Assuming the realm has the option Matt could download the world so it could be restored if we want a server in the future.

I don’t generally play on the realm but it would kinda be sad to see it go being it’s the only one everyone can get on.  Though if it isn’t being used then it’s understandable if it goes.

33 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Keep the Minecraft modded PC server. This has peaks and troughs of usage (for me, depends on the time of year) but Greeboth keeps it fresh by changing the modpack occasionaly to keep us on our toes. It's an easy, chill dip into game

After 3 years (or 4years?) of the modded server it is getting harder to find new packs without basically playing the same packs.  But as long as I can find packs or people want to play, the modded server shall be up 🙂 

As for the rest, I still haven’t tried Valheim but know I should.  Also, even though I know there’s the list, I didn’t know we had a vanilla 7 Days server.  But I find 7 Days has it’s peaks and troughs so if no-one plays it maybe get rid until there’s more interest again.

2000 Year Old Ancient Computer
Posted

It's easy to say today that it's not impressive as it isn't hard to make a geared machine that provides an analogy to our solar system.  To do that 2000+ years ago however is crazy! Just tracking the moon or sun a day or week in advance is impressive.

Veritasium did an interesting video on mechanical computers which includes the Antikythera mechanism and others

Your "Go To" game?
Posted

I’m with Dave, Minecraft is always a relaxing choice that I’ve spent far too much time on across the various mod packs.  Though currently trying to play on 2 vanilla servers and a modded one is tricky.

Sim racing is another go to of mine usually playing Assetto Corsa or Assetto Corsa Competizione.  I don’t play them enough but games I can play any time and waste hours on too.

Blizzard Lawsuit
Posted

I'm always a bit dubious of statements such as the leadership is exclusively male and white.  While no doubt a true fact, given the experience required to get to executive level (which is what I'm presuming they mean by 'leadership') then I imagine you can struggle to find someone who isn't white and male as that's who has the requisite experience because that's how the company was hiring 30-40 years ago. 

However that aside as it's far from the biggest issue raised for Activision Blizzard in this report.  The industry does seem to going from one negative to another recently (loot box gambling, crunches and working conditions and now this) I do wonder if it will require a company the size of Activision Blizzard folding to actually bring about a change in what, as times goes on, seems to be a more and more toxic industry to work in.

Your first PS5 game
Posted

So did I Lee, it’s great playing on the ps5 for the quick load times and lack of dropped frames.  Though honestly I can’t tell the difference between playing the ps4 version on the ps5 and the actual ps5 version.

As for actual ps5 games, I picked up Miles Morales the other day.  I got the ultimate edition so playing through the original Spiderman first which does have a ps5 upgrade too.

Gaming Addiction
Posted

Similarly to Phil and La, I’d say I’ve been obsessive about a game here and there.  Certainly to the point of all my free time being spent on the game.  I think that’s where the line is though, even spending all your free time on something can be ok, it’s when yoy deliberately start making time by skipping school, work etc.

Though I also find with any hobby of mine, if I’m absorbed in it too much I find myself through burning out or boredom wanting to do my other hobbies more until it breaks the obsession.

Super Bomberman FTP
Posted

I just came across this, I’m not sure on the specific version and guess because it’s ftp there will be microtransactions.  But fir free still worth checking out.

Depending how people can party up / play together it could be good for a FG Friday too.

share_img_index_en.jpg?v2
WWW.KONAMI.COM

Blast it out in a 64-player battle royale with SUPER BOMBERMAN R ONLINE! Now with the unique...

Event Title: Assetto Corsa (PC)
Event Author: Greboth
Calendar: Community Calendar
Event Date: 03/18/2021 07:30 PM to 03/18/2021 10:00 PM

Several people bought Assetto Corsa while it was on sale recently and most have also got a wheel too so it's about time we have an evening of racing.

Sadly you can't create a server like on GT Sport but there's still plenty of servers up so shouldn't be too hard to find one we can all join.  Probably will be something like GT3 cars at Mugello or Spa Francorchamps.

Assetto Corsa (PC)

N.B. If viewing this via the FG App, please visit the Calendar event via browser to RSVP. Thanks.

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy