WRC (2023)
Posted

There’s a bew WRC game coming out next month which I didn’t pay too much attention to as the previous one wasn’t great.  But this is getting some pretty high praise from a few youtubers who have been given early access.

Always wary of anyone having early access and praising a game but certainly something to keep an eye on.

WWW.EA.COM

Build the car of your dreams in our biggest rally game ever when EA SPORTS™ WRC launches Nov 3, on Xbox Series X/S...

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Forza Motorsport
Posted

Reviews seem to be a little mixed on this one but tempted to pick up a month or 2 of gamepass to try it.  Though might wait a few weeks to let them get a patch or 2 out first and for the community to settle on some good wheel settings.

It’s a shame there’s mixed reviews though as it seems FM3 and 4 were the peak but they’ve been a bit downhill since.  Still one to keep an eye on and will look forward to your thoughts when you’ve had chance to play it more.

F1 Manager 2022
Posted

I enjoyed Motorsport Manager on mobile for a bit.  It is (was) quite simplistic in some respects though and I lost interest eventually.  Hopefully this been a fully fledged game it will have more detail and more nuance.

I’m surprised at the trailer though, if it‘s due out in the next few months that it would involve some actual gameplay.

Assetto Corsa Competizione
Posted
On 12/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, phil bottle said:

@Greboth you've probably already seen the update, there's a VR fix but not sure that applies to you?

No that doesn't really apply to me.  A bit of google sleuthing suggests it's something to do with DLSS and reprojection of frames.  I still haven't gotten around to trying again but hopefully will soon.

Posted

ACC is actually the one, or one of a tiny few games, where keeping TC on is faster.  Unlike GT Sport, or even AC, where the TC system is not the greatest and can cost you lap time.  In ACC, Kunos have implemented it very closely to the real system used in the GT3 cars, so keeping it on 1 or 2 is actually advisable and the quickest way to drive.  There's a video where David Perel talks about it and as he is/was a real Blancpain driver who helped develop ACC I figure he knows what he's talking abou.

Posted

It's probably a little early to come to a definitive conclusion on VR performance but it's certainly better than it was.  I'm getting some weird graphical issues though I'm not really sure what's causing them.  I found someone who posted their settings on a 2070S so I'm going to give them a try as they should be pretty close on my 2080.  I still don't think it will be great sadly, there seems to be something about ACC that just means it doesn't run as well as other games.

As for the other updates in this patch, I'd seen some comments about overheating tyres and they're sensitivity to pressure.  However a quick race around Spa using the default aggressive setup I didn't have any problems except when I spun but the less said about that the better.

Posted
1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

I saw this, maybe some ACC this weekend👍

My thoughts exactly.

Going to have to mess around with settings first to see if I can get VR running properly.  But I currently have no plans this weekend so plenty of time for racing.

Posted

So ACC has had quite a major update yesterday.

All covered nicely here;

The cliff notes though are;

- Improced physics engine which now runs at 400hz

- A few tweaks to the tyres model with respect to heat transfer and management

- Added the BMW 4 series GT3 car

- Added DLSS for nVidia and FFX for AMD gpu’s

It’s the DLSS I’m most interested in as ACC is a pig to run in VR.  So hopefully with the benefit of DLSS it will be possible to get a usuable framerate in VR.

Forza Horizon 5
Posted

@GazzaGarratt On second thoughts, I feel I should clarify also that ‘cars’ isn’t the right word, ‘vehicles’ is more accurate.  As yes there are cars but there are also buggies, trophy trucks and a few lorrys too.

Also the Halo warthog which is great fun to drive as I have the Halo musical horn too 😄 

Forza Horizon 5
Posted

Some of the bugs are annoying, like having you car instantly stop especially as it ends your skill chain and cost me a 150,000 x 10 last night 😞 

I’m also finding the challenges really inconsistent.  I did one last night where I got 3 stars with almost a minute spare. Yet another took numerous attempts to just about squeeze under by a few tenths.  Others, like the photography one in the Vocho quest, I’ve just given up and accepted 2 stars.  Though I’ve sinced looked up the Vocho one and it seems there’s 1 route that works and only if you get it perfect; turn off the road earlier or later and you won’t make it.

As much as I’ve moaned about the game giving you loads of cars and money, it seems to be holding my attention better than FH4 did even though, outside of the map, there really isn’t any difference.  It’s quite a relaxing game and fun hooning about across the countryside.

Forza Horizon 5
Posted

"Very much the same as FH4" is how I'd describe it too.  It's fun and I'll be playing it more but certainly not a long term game for me.

I am having a blast going everywhere in the Rockstar pro truck, it wasn't that great as standard but 4wd and 1700hp means you can pretty much go from and to any location in a straight line 😄  Though I think I might have a new favourite since I found someone made the paintjob so I tuned it accordingly and made Binky 😄

2021422767_ForzaBinky.thumb.jpg.b71d21ee01271163311300c888e10bae.jpg

Forza Horizon 5
Posted

As this comes out tomorrow, who will be playing it?

I enjoyed FH4 but the one issue I had was the amount of cars and money it gives you.  As a couple hours in you have more money than you need as well as super and special cars out the wazoo.  This one seems similar so rather than buy it picked up the game pass offer of £1 for 3 months as should be enough for me (especially with other games coming out soon too).  However I shall definitely be dedicating some time to it tomorrow night.

Sim racing/steering wheel advice
Posted

Literally answered this question on a different forum earlier today so I’ll copy paste that answer. They also asked about if a belt driven wheel is better and it is something to consider so I’ve left it in.

Some of the pros attributed to belt driven wheels is simply because they're a better (and more expensive) wheel.  For example, most (if not all) belt driven wheels have a higher peak torque than gear drive wheels - higher peak torque is a good thing but this is down to the manufacturers choice of gear/pulley ratio and motor(s) to use rather than being specifically attributable to a belt is better.  With that said, gear driven wheels and belt driven wheels work on the same principle of a small motor with a small gear or pulley driving a larger gear or pulley attached to the wheel.  This means they suffer most of the same cons; lower FFB torque, slower rotational speeds and some tiny torque inconsistencies due to gear lash and belt tension when FFB oscillates.  As said though, these cons apply to both though so can't really judge which is better on these.

There is one advantage belt wheels have; smoothness and as a consequence, noise.  Because of gear lash (the small gaps between the gear teeth) when the FFB engages and closes this gap there can be quite a clunk noise and over something like a kerb that causes oscillation of the FFB it causes a rattle.  As a belt pulley is designed differently, there isn't the requirement for this lash and so are quieter in their operation.

With respect to your specific question, objectively the T300RS GT is a better wheel; as above it's belt driven so will be quieter (though the fan on the TM still makes some noise), a quick google shows the peak torque being almost twice that of the G29 (3.9Nm v 2.1Nm), the T300 is 1080 vs G29's 900 degree rotation, there's more customisation options with the TM as you can change wheels rims if you want as well as being able to expand the TM to include a h pattern shifter (which is superior to the Logitech offering) and a handbrake/sequential shifter if you want one too.   Finally, the t3pa pedals are better than the Logitech offering too - this is arguably subjective rather than objective but it's hard to find someone that says otherwise so I'm counting this as objective too.

How much 'value' you attribute to all of that is your personal opinion and somewhat governed by what you like to race.  In my opinion though, while the price difference isn't insignificant, it is worth it.

TL;DR - The G29 is a good entry level wheel but a T300 is better and worth the extra.

4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

@Greboth

John is running 11 lap races in Mugello this week if you fancy? Tuesday and/or Wednesday after 9pm. What ya reckon?

Yeah man, I’ve mostly been playing some ACC recently but I do love some Mugello.  I’ll be around both days ao just drop me a message when he decides which day(s)

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy