Loot Crates

I cannot believe how bad this has got in the industry especially now these 'loot crates' are even appearing in single player games. Shadow of War has them and even has the main ending locked behind a paywall. Forza 7 encourages you instead of actually playing the game as intended by competing in races; you buy crates to unlock car mods which expire but are essential to winning races. You can't compete without them in the first place so you pretty much have to start coughing up right away and you must keep earning in game else you lose your mods and then have to buy more crates for credits. NBA 2K17 had something similar where your character was so bad attribute-wise; it was impossible and highly unenjoyable to improve unless you bough a load of 'VC' (virtual credits) just to get going and improve your player once again by not actually playing the game!  Even seasoned career gamers were having to spend $hundreds just to get going on top of buying the most expensive version of the base game. 

After the Battlefront 2 beta; many suggested that game would be pay to win and Call of Duty is already flaunting Supply Drops for WWII and encouraging users to buy and open them by this new phone app crap plus you can also open them with your buddies in-game where they can watch and win prizes themselves which mimic that of case openings. I'm beginning to get sick of this F2P/mobile style economy in full price AAA games with season passes and other DLC and now they are creeping into single player games; it's more like pay to play and pay more as you do so. 

What the fuck happened to this industry. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone loves a lottery. RNG whether you like or hate it, actually gives a better return to keep playing going in the thought they have a 'chance' at their favourite gun or god roll on specific gear. I wanted to hate it in Destiny 1 but I must admit, it is one of those reasons you don't realise why you play it so much but it is because of the Loot box/RNG element to games.

I don't mind it. Overwatch do it in a way that its purely cosmetic. What I don't like though is if I still want a specific non-play to win cosmetic, I should be able to buy it, not the loot box that then I have a chance of getting it. That's bullshit.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Loot crates for cosmetics is one thing and now widely accepted but loot crates for things like progression making the game pay to play is another level of BS. 

This is thread isn't really about earning loot boxes in-game by playing as this concept is the norm for many games and isn't a major issue - the ones that are weeding their way into single player games and are forcing people to buy them due to deliberately stifled progression systems that have been deliberately engineered; that is more what I'm getting at.