I'm going to ask all of my noob questions here.  If you've got some of your own, feel free to ask away.  We can use this thread to ask and answer noob pc questions. 

So... I've been playing Crysis 2.  Solid game.  Never played the first, but I'm having fun with this one.  I had everything maxed out.  Ran perfectly smooth.  But just shut off out of no where.  Play a second time, just a bit ago, and turned Anti-A off and turned it down to High instead of Ultra or whatever the first step down from Ultra is.  It played perfectly smooth still, but then shut down again. 

What could it be?  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

First I'm in love with Crysis 2. It's such a great game.

I had trouble with Windows color scheme bull windowing the game. Then when I was able to get to the desktop the warning would disappear (still in game) I finally caught it and turned it off.

Overheating may be an issue also depending on your set-up. Video cards get hot as hell especially if your pushing them at max. My old PC would quit the application when the card got too hot.

Good luck.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

It could be it is over heating

Try turning on Vsync if it is off. That will force the card to operate at 60 FPS if it's operating higher. I have a 7850 also and my card runs way hotter when Vsync is not on (since it runs about 150 FPS). 

Are you over clocking or doing any other performance enhancements with the card? Turn them off and see. 

Is there a performance monitor for you card? My ASUS card came with one and will monitor temp/voltage/clocking. Try that if you have it. It should be able to tell you if you go out of spec and that causes the problem.

Those would be the obvious. 

You can also try an application called fraps. Turn that on and it will tell you how many FPS the game is running at. If it's low then what I've said may not apply. 

Some games also get the CPU to do a lot of work rather than use the GPU engine. They don't optimize the GPU. That could also be causing problems because the CPU is running too hot. Does you CPU have a FAN or just a heat sink (piece on metal without fan) on it?  

I got Crysis 2 as part of the humble bundle but haven't even downloaded it. I played 1 and 3. Not 2. I'll give it a try if I get a chance on my system and see how it reacts.

Patrick

You should have AMD Catalyst Control Center installed. If not, download this and run it. It'll scan your system and recommend the best software for you. Once yu've got Catalyst installed, run it and click on "AMD Overdrive". You should get a warning about overclocking, accept it and go further. We're not everclocking at this point, merely using the temp monitoring tools (although you can overclock with this software, it's very safe, won't let you come near voltages or anything). Check out your temps, you should be idling at 40ish.

Once you've confirmed that, download this and install it. The aim here is to benchmark your graphics card and keep an eye on the temps. If you don't go over 90, it's all good. If you do, that's where the problem lies, although I highly doubt it.

To be honest it happens from time to time that a PC makes you go "huh?". if it's a one off I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens more often, it might be time to look at possible causes.

banlol.png

I've read your replies, but I haven't had any free time to sit down at my PC yet.  I'm working all weekend, so I'll re-read these and post up on Monday or Tuesday.  Thanks a lot fellas, I appreciate the help. 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png