Help - Build me a Gaming PC

spectre

I'm seriously thinking about getting a new computer.  My price range is $1000.  I already have a very nice HD gaming monitor so that won't be needed.

There is a plug-in for After Effects that I want to be able to use and so the requirements for that are at least this

GRAPHICS CARD REQUIREMENTS:
• Nvidia & ATI, minimum 512MBs of memory.
• Nvidia GeForce 8800, &9000 Series
• Nvidia GeForce 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 Series
• Nvidia Quadro FX Series 4000 and better.
(some restrictions apply)
• ATI 3870 and better on Windows
• ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series and Later on Mac
Supported GPU list
RECOMMENDED CARDS:
For ideal performance we recommend at least
a Geforce 285 or ATI 3870 with 1GB of VRAM.

I'd most likely be playing Battlefield 4 on this system but would love to look at any other games you guys might recommend.

Keep calm and question nothing.

If/When you get a gaming PC, you need to get two games; Minecraft and League of Legends.  

If your budget is $1,000, you'll have no problem putting together a solid PC.  Are you wanting to assemble it yourself?  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Diddums told me what to buy when I decided to get into PC gaming, so I'd definitely listen to whatever advice he gives you. With that in mind, I'd recommend checking out logicalincrements.com, they have a massive list of recommend builds for a range of budgets.

At around $1000, you should definitely be able to build a quality PC.

My brother bought a £1200 Alienware Gaming laptop. Came with a gaming mouse and headset. He got Call of Duty, LoL and Minecraft. It glows red, an angry red, like it's the devil and it can see through to my soul, telling me "console minion, I am better than you".

He uses it for eBay.

You'll get a decent system for a grand. My personal experience of Razer is that it's rubbish. Every single Razer product I've had bar the Nostromo has failed in one way or another. My RAT 5 went on forever, I gave it to a mate and he's still using it about four years on. Great mouse. I'm now using a Vengeance M60 and it's by far the best mouse I've ever owned. I absolutely love it.

I'll put together a list later, but you're going to need to assemble it yourself. Have you got a copy of Windows? It's best to get a legit one, Windows is getting fussy with pirated versions.

banlol.png

It's fucking ridiculous how much more we pay for PC components than our Merkin' brethren.

Here's a fucking awesome build I stuck together in literally 5 minutes. It's got a haswell i5, 8gb RAM, a 7870 GPU and an SSD. For this price, it's simply pissing me off that we'd pay almost the same numbers, but in pounds.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2eY9b

You can leave out the SSD and go for a better GPU, but to be honest this one should be fine. I've also included 1tb of storage which should be enough for your video editing needs, and it;s a damn fast HDD too. An SSD will change the way you look at computing,

You could go for an AMD build and save about 50-100 bucks, but given you're not a hobbyist and this is to last you a while, just stick the best you can afford in there and be done with it.

This is also assuming that you have an OS, if you don't, let me know and we'll have to tweak it a bit.

ALTERNATIVELY:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2eYuh

This is an AMD build. The CPU has two more cores which will speed up your rendering a bit, and it's also got double the RAM at 16gb. It's also got a considerably more powerful graphics card which is excellent for gaming, and as far as the 760s go, this is the best, hands down. The trade-off? Slower per-core performance. You probably won't notice it, but it'll be there. The Intel will also last longer, although how much longer, I can't really say. This build also has a whopping motherboard with features that piss all over the Intel's, so if you want, you can always crank back on the motherboard and shove that cash elsewhere.

At the end of the day it's up to you. We've reached a point in CPU terms where things are stagnating for desktop gamers. The CPU manufacturers are aiming for lower power consumption and more mobility, which for the rest of us means that the performance is at a level which isn't going to be raised any time soon. Provided you're not looking at a $40 CPU, you're pretty much set, although the two listed here are pretty much the best at what they do, hands down.

As for graphics cards, there is so much competition going on between Nvidia and AMD at the moment that they've both had to slash their prices to remain competitive. A $500 card last year is now going for $300, a fact that PC gamers are more than happy to point out.

Let me know what you think.

banlol.png

Thanks alot for doing this man. I'll for sure be buying one or the other probably within a couple months.  I dont know enough about computers to really tell the difference between the two but I think the second sounds better.  Like I said in earlier post, I just need at least those specs so I can run the element 3d plug-in for After Effects.  I'll have to look through my discs for that OS install to make sure I have it.

Keep calm and question nothing.