Bungie: How do decimals work?

Sennex

So, Bungie posted to twitter that their patch notes and talking points for the last 4 weeks had a typo in them.

What they actually meant to post for this weeks AR/Pulse Buff/Nerf was this:

Auto Rifles

Small increase to base damage

Low RoF (Suros Regime, An Answering Chord): 0.3% increase from previous base damage

Med RoF (Zhalo Supercell, Paleocontact JPK-43): 0.7% increase from previous base damage

High RoF (Arminius-D, Necrochasm): 0.04% increase from previous base damage

Pulse Rifles

Reduced base damage

Low RoF (The Messenger, Spare Change): 0.9% reduction from previous base damage

Med RoF (Hawksaw, No Time To Explain, Red Death): 0.9% reduction from previous base damage

High RoF (Bad Juju): 0.9% reduction from previous base damage

Highest RoF (Grasp of Marok): 0.97% reduction from previous base damage

Reduced damage falloff to start between Auto Rifle and Hand Cannon ranges

A low range Pulse Rifle will have shorter damage falloff than an average Hand Cannon

A high range Pulse Rifle will have farther damage falloff than an average Hand Cannon

Increased base damage against AI combatants by roughly 5%

This doesn't make sense on any level.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure how to explain percentages here but will try

The actual game changes are not this straightforward, but here:

If your pay is 100$ an hour

Would you rather have a 4% increase in pay? or a 0.4% increase?

4% increase = 104$ an hour

0.4% increase = 100.40$ an hour

Which one would you end up noticing?

If you want actual math breakdowns, I can provide them based off of what others have already compiled

EDIT: this isn't the first time they have done this, anyone remember the Vex Mythoclast issue from last year?

"Gonna nerf the Vex by 34%"

~Patch comes out, Vex nerfed by 50%~

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

If those are the changes:

Low RoF (Suros Regime, An Answering Chord): 0.3% increase from previous base damage

Med RoF (Zhalo Supercell, Paleocontact JPK-43): 0.7% increase from previous base damage

High RoF (Arminius-D, Necrochasm): 0.04% increase from previous base damag

Why even bother  .04% is really not going to be noticeable. I doubt people would notice 0.3 or 0.7% also on video game. 

I think that's perhaps what Dave meant. I notice the math, however from a piratical perspective I doubt I would notice anything while playing

That is exactly the problem. The % was so small, it effectively netted a 0% increase.

Which means, why even put it in the notes, or talk about it for 4 weeks?

I think that's perhaps what Dave meant. I notice the math, however from a piratical perspective I doubt I would notice anything while playing

Correct..perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Sorry guys

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I vaguely remember "accidental" changes via Bungie that were eventually acknowledged by them and then never corrected. (Winters Run reset, Myhoclast 50% nerf rather than 34%)

Let's be honest math is never this companie's strong suit. They still couldn't code to count kills on yellow minions towards grimoire , and certain ultras don't count as ultras like Omnigul and the Psion Flayers.

I have no idea how to code but there's a theme with certain pieces of coding their team is God awful with.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

If you can't do basic math -> Algebra 2, then you shouldn't be coding complex systems

This really looks like another "Weapon Parts" situation

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong though, I am going to play regardless until I have the Y2 Hardlight!

Correct..perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Sorry guys

If those are the changes:

High RoF (Arminius-D, Necrochasm): 0.04% increase from previous base damag

Why even bother  .04% is really not going to be noticeable. I doubt people would notice 0.3 or 0.7% also on video game. 

I missed that completely.

Sorry, I work all day with PHD's and MA level folks that can't even figure out how to use their mouse. It clouds my judgement and I tend to assume what others mean based off what these jackasses I work with mean.

I missed that completely.

Sorry, I work all day with PHD's and MA level folks that can't even figure out how to use their mouse. It clouds my judgement and I tend to assume what others mean based off what these jackasses I work with mean.

Well they must be mechanical engineering PhDs rather than electrical then :)

I remember in high school we had 4 guidance counselors and one of them a massive cunt. She had a Ph.D. And anyone that called her Mrs. Roy got an earful about how you need to address her Dr. Roy.

I've ran into 3 teachers all with the same mindset, sorry Dr. Velazquez but your teaching Western Civ to college freshmen not neuroscience.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

There are a few PHD's at work that I call Dr. <insert first name here>, they are typically humble, and deserve the title

Most of them have these huge inflated ego's, so I call them purely by their first name, or even the wrong name entirely.

The key to it all is in how you treat me and those around me on a day to day basis. 

If you are a raging twat, then you get called the wrong name to reinforce that you ain't nothing special.

IT is very much a situation like this:

tumblr_lsvtz33eAh1qkae66o1_500.jpg

So they changed the numbers again.

Auto Rifles

Low RoF (Suros Regime, An Answering Chord): 0.30% increase from previous base damage

Med RoF (Zhalo Supercell, Paleocontact JPK-43): 0.78% increase from previous base damage

High RoF (Arminius-D, Necrochasm): 0.04% increase from previous base damage

Pulse Rifles

Reduced base damage

Low RoF (The Messenger, Spare Change): 14.23% base damage reduction

Med RoF (Hawksaw, No Time To Explain, Red Death): 10.69% base damage reduction

High RoF (Bad Juju): 8.17% base damage reduction

Highest RoF (Grasp of Marok): 2.97% base damage reduction

**This is Deej's explanation**

What is the point of increasing damage if the numbers don't go up?

The damage numbers you see in game are not the raw base numbers we work with. The number shown at a damage event gets scaled by a lot of factors (activity, target, Light level, difficulty, precision, damage type, etc.) and then displayed to the player in combat as rounded whole numbers with a clean UI presentation. A small adjustment to an Auto Rifle may not be enough to change the displayed number, but (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE) if your base damage changed from 20 to 20.2, and then you fired that damage value every other frame (at 30 fps) over the duration of a 50 round magazine, you're actually getting a change in DPS even though the base number still reports as 20 in the UI.

Thats right fella's, your Frame rate helps decide your damage now!

Also, all of us are to dumb to understand math.

iWKad22.jpg?fb

It makes me wonder, did the good devs get bumped to Destiny 2, and we got the interns from now on?

That tactic was pretty typical of Blizzard for WoW, I just don't have enough experience with Bungie to know if they do the same crap