Mr Miyagi (Bonsai Daniel-san)

Drifter

Since we lost the old posts thought I'd start a new on on my Bonsai. And now is as good a time as any because I just  finished another new one today. This one is a spruce that I collected from my property up north by my cabin. Just finished trimming/pruning/potting and starting to train this one. It's very young right now but it has a really nice trunk on it that should be really sweet looking in about 10 years.

r7o8.jpg

See Tommy I told ya it was a common mistake lol

What's the point in it if you don't me asking? So you can have nature with you at your desk?

It's an enjoyable thing to do is all. It takes years to ever master it and then to actually get a healthy thriving bonsai tree it takes years of patience and dedication to keeping the tree alive, trimmed and growing properly so it's almost a form of living art.

This is on my bucket list. Where do I start? I have read a book on the subject 10 years ago.  Lol, I have several things I want to do and this one has been floating around up there for awhile.

Best way to start is to start with a tree that will do well indoors under a grow light. You don't want to start with an evergreen of any sort because they need a dormant period in the winter and are a bit harder to keep alive when you first get into it. Believe it or not the best one to start with is to go to Walmart and in the garden section they carry two types of bonsai trees at most all Walmart stores. One is a ginseng ficus (not a fan of those) and the other is a Fukien Tea tree. Get the Fukien Tea tree. It is very hardy and will do very well inside, plus it only costs $10.88.

Here's the thing though. Walmart sells them in plastic pots with potting soil and little pebbles glued all over the top of the soil. If you leave it in that it wont last more than a month or two at best. Bonsai trees need a VERY quick draining soil that is made up of quick drying properties such as a mix of crushed lava rock, sand and even kitty litter. Also the plastic pot is not good for them, they need an actual bonsai pot that is shallow, has drainage holes in it, plus has holes for wiring the tree into the pot.

My suggestion for getting started is before you buy the tree, get a bonsai pot and some bonsai soil. After that then I can help you with what you need to do next such as raking the roots out and trimming and repoting and pruming/wiring etc etc.

This is a good bonsai pot right here for a good price. It has a lot going on for it such as being unglazed, has two drainage holes as well as multiple wiring holes http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oval-Yixing-Zisha-Bonsai-Pot-11-x8-5-x2-/141038592206?pt=Planters_Pots&hash=item20d68e20ce

Well now comes the "patience" part of bonsai. I have a new one. This one was a Fukein Tea from Walmart while upnorth last weekend. I transplanted it and I plan to do it as what is know as a "root over rock" bonsai. This one/style takes the longest. The roots are small now, but I wrapped it over the rock of choice and planted the rock below the surface on a training pot. Now the patience part....1-2 years from now it may be ready to repot as the root over rock I want.

2o8y.jpg

mm20.jpg

cool, looking forward to the progress. I think things like this, that take patience, are impressive.  (much like sculpting an epic beard  :P ) hoping you take that on again too.

I'm going to get one of these soon, I'll post pics to this thread if you don't mind.

Keep calm and question nothing.