Nat Type

BO7H B4RRELS

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's all good.  I just thought it was weird, and maybe had something to do with my issues.  But, if it's normal, then I'm good.  But, damn, I could swear I remember seeing that speedtest start in Indiana before.  I don't remember it ever showing anywhere else as the start point.  

The internet confuses me.  lol

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Yes please Bart, this is an interesting thread!! :)

So IP addresses are like phone numbers. The problem is that there is a finite amount of them, and we don't have Area Codes fully implemented yet (IPV6 is Phone numbers with Area Codes).

So ISP's lease IP Address ranges for a few months to a year. In order to better manage how many IP's the ISP's need, they have all modems set to release/ renew their connection on a one month basis

(This is an approximation, some do it more frequently, some do it less. If you are a business, then it typically doens't change at all, depending on your contract, and what sort of Net presence you need)

http://www.nro.net/statistics- this site keeps stats on when ip ranges move/ shuffle around. Typically this is due to ISP companies going out of business. Most ISP's are loathe to relinquish addresses once they have them.

So lets do an example here

This is my IP address right now: 198.167.32.134

Around Thanksgiving of this year, when my IP address did the release/ renew thing. It started showing that I was located in Canada. Pandora, Spotify, and Netflix all started acting weird on me as those services are different up there in the frozen north.

I did some digging and there was an ISP up there that went out of business. My provider bought it and the DNS info for that IP address never updated fully, to show it was now down here in the states. It took about 2 weeks for the problem to resolve itself. 

DNS History shows this:

IP Location Results for 198.167.32.134

==============

City:         Summerside

Zip Code:    

Region Code:  PE

Region Name:  Prince Edward Island

Country Code: CA

Country Name: Canada

Latitude:     46.4

Longitude:    -63.7833

GMT Offset:  

DST Offset:   

Website with cool tools:

http://viewdns.info/

Once everyone got the right DNS information for that IP address, then it got fixed. (For the record, this is why I tell people to use the 8.8.8.8/ 8.8.4.4 DNS addresses. Google is much better at updating their logs)

I hope this makes sense. I need to get back to SQL for now though, and might expand upon this further later

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Also, when IPV6 fullys rolls out to the world, all this will go away. 

We will have area codes, and even Country codes.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Also, when IPV6 fullys rolls out to the world, all this will go away. 

We will have area codes, and even Country codes.

Thanks Bart - let's hope I remember it if I need it!

When does IPV6 roll out?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Thanks Bart - let's hope I remember it if I need it!

When does IPV6 roll out?

Well thats tough to answer to be honest. It is already built into every OS out there (Unless you are running windows 95 or 98, and they might have patched that, I don't honestly know). Some places have already implemented it.

This article here covers it pretty well.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/07/at-our-current-rate-of-progress-ipv6-will-be-fully-implemented-on-may-10-2048/

The URL is slightly off, it should read as 2148, not 2048, the article is sort of weird 

This paragraph sort of covers it:

According to the Internet Society, much of that is because technologies like NAT (network address translation) have enabled many ISPs and companies to use a single IP address for many machines. But the biggest problem is that IPv6 requires time and investment, and since there are some workarounds that have done the job until now, many organizations aren’t willing to lay out cash for no clear or immediate return.

What this means is my home, with all the random devices on it, actually only uses 1 IP address. The whole article is worth reading though if you are interested.