What TV? Help!

JBR-Kiwi

Ok after the farce that is Samsungs customer service team, over a month later they have said that I can either have a refund or an exchange for my faulty TV that i havent even had for 2 and a half months in a 12 month period.

Now im just going to get a refund and buy a new TV from a more independent place that comes with a 5 year guarantee.

Heres my choices

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40h5000/sams-ue40h5000

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42lb550v/lg-42lb550v

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx39a400b/pana-tx39a400b

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl40r483bbu/sony-kdl40r483bbu

Which one do I go for??

APmVvKG.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weve got the Samsung in our room, lovely telly. It's only 60hz though, telly manufacturers have developed all sorts of marketing bullshit to blag higher refresh rates, and samsung's cinema whatever it is is just as much bullshit.

banlol.png

I have to say (when it was working) the previous Samsung TV had great picture quality. It was just let down by some unknown inherent fault and frankly abysmal customer service.

Weve got the Samsung in our room, lovely telly. It's only 60hz though, telly manufacturers have developed all sorts of marketing bullshit to blag higher refresh rates, and samsung's cinema whatever it is is just as much bullshit.

I had heard about the Hz issue but I think at that sort of price i dont think it will annoy me that much and the girlfriend wouldnt have a clue either way  :lol:

It was really down to the Samsung or LG so thanks for the advice guys  :D

APmVvKG.gif

Can I just add that we try and buy all our electronics now through John Lewis. They offer their own (not manf') 2 year guarantee, they're not massively over priced being cheaper in some cases and their customer service is absolutely exceptional. Worth a look

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Can I just add that we try and buy all our electronics now through John Lewis. They offer their own (not manf') 2 year guarantee, they're not massively over priced being cheaper in some cases and their customer service is absolutely exceptional. Worth a look

Yeah I did have a look at JL but Ive had past issues with them which has put me off. That was a few years ago now though so maybe its forgive and forget and try again with them.

APmVvKG.gif

Like Joe, I prefer Sony. I literally just purchased a 40" LED Sony Bravia TV this past weekend. I love it. That would be my recommendation. 

1080 or 720? I have a 32" 720 in the bedroom. 0 complaints.

The only other TV out of the ones on the list I've had an opportunity to fuck with is my mom’s 42” LG and only watching cable. The one thing I really liked was the interface grouping SD and HD channels together when using HD over air. Other than that it was nothing special.

Samsung’s do have a great picture but are you basing your findings off of in store displays with the color/brightness/contrast/etc.. almost always set to max? There are home theater set up sites out there that will give you suggested cinema, game, etc… TV setups per model. You’d be surprised at the differences even from stock demo settings. It all depends on personal preference obviously (if you like it colder or warmer, brighter or blacks to be black) but a lot of the times seeing it on display isn’t a great gauge of how it’s going to look in your house.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Our yv in the family room is a Samsung. I've had zero issues with it and love it. Have a LG in the bedroom and I hate it. Its probably four years old but the user interface is a bitch to use. No side hdmi ports,all are on the rear of the tv. Never had Sony tv's but have two Sony bluray players and they are what you expect from Sony. Plus they have great customer support

Our yv in the family room is a Samsung. I've had zero issues with it and love it. Have a LG in the bedroom and I hate it. Its probably four years old but the user interface is a bitch to use. No side hdmi ports,all are on the rear of the tv. Never had Sony tv's but have two Sony bluray players and they are what you expect from Sony. Plus they have great customer support

We have a Samsung in our living room and a LG in our bedroom too, lol.  

I really like Samsung TV's.  The LG is okay, but all the buttons and shit are awkward as hell.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Okey dokey so I finished work early yesterday and went to the store to have a look.

They didnt have any Sony ones left in my price range and I couldnt really spend more although their 4k TV looked amazing!

One issue with the LG one; Unless I wall mounted it it wouldnt be able to sit on our TV stand because the legs are right on the edge and our TV stand is just too small.

So I ended up with the Samsung one. After using a 22 inch monitor for the past month and a half this thing looks absolutely gigantic! The picture is bloody good (assassins creed looked amazing once i had set it up!), and i was quite impressed with the sound quality as well. The bloke eve knocked some money off for me as it was my first time purchasing something from them and I had come to them especially to look and purchase.

APmVvKG.gif