Another trip pics

Drifter

Spent the past few days with my fishing buddy Mark and I trekking around the upper reaches of the Au Sable fishing for wild brookies and browns. Was nice to explore a bit and fish some waters other than the traditional ones, staying at different places each night, eating at different small town restaurants, and basically just bouncing from place to place looking for trout.

rpnx.jpg

unyv.jpg

dqyh.jpg

tqp3.jpg

h6ek.jpg

ysd5y.jpg

nxncu.jpg

rxkr.jpg

0fms.jpg

2p8f.jpg

xrwo.jpg

wway.jpg

n1vx.jpg

Fly fishing can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. To get started you can learn a lot from fly casting and beginner videos on youtube these days. Things which I didn't have the luxury of back when I started 25 yrs ago -_-

Best thing to do is to watch some casting videos and then pick up a cheap rod/reel/line and start practicing on the lawn. Then when you can get at least 25ft of line out then hit a local pond/lake with a small dry or popper and start catching some bluegills. Once you get the hang of that then you can start reading up more on things like all the various flies and leaders and when to use what etc etc and then start chasing some trout or other more difficult species to fool.

Great shots. Is the arrow pointing to a monkey or porcupine?

Been meaning to ask if you watch River Monsters? I saw an episode the other day where my man JW caught an Arapaima using a fly rod/reel. He's caught other huge fish with a fly fish set up. I didn't think the rods could hold up to that much abuse but he proved me wrong.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Yep that was a porcupine that was tryin to hide in a tree next to the trail on the way out of the river Monday night.

LOVE River Monsters, my fav show on TV. Jeremy is the kind of guy I would get along with well. Fly rods come in weights from 0wt all the way to 14wt so there are fly rods that can handle very large species.