So how much would you pay....

For this hand painted picture. It measures 48" x 30" and is obviously one of a kind. The reason i ask is my father in law really enjoys creating bespoke pictures but wants to know if there is any way he'd be able to cover his costs and also get a resonable return on the hours invested.

20140528_182314.jpg

All feedback is appreciated. He's not the type to ask other people's opinions!!

Edit: Not trying to flog it on here! Just wanted to get a gauge as i couldn't find much info on google

There was a time when my son would have loved this.

Honestly though, with it being something more for a child, that will phase out of liking all of these things, I would only pay 50$ at most for it, and even then, it would be a stretch

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It's a great picture...

Given the subject matter I can't imagine you would get a fair price for his work, in terms of materials and time taken to paint the picture, simply because it is aimed at children, would look great in a child's bedroom, but would parents pay that much for it?

If he paints other things such as landscapes etc then really the sky is the limit, the price of some of the 'Art' I have seen over the years can be ludicrous...

blackops2sig.jpg

He does nice work. The problem with art is that to get a fair price the artist needs to be "known" or the price will not be much. I've seen some absolutely fantastic paintings being sold for dirt cheap simply because the artist was not a known artist. Attach a known name of a famous artist to a piece and the price shoots up.

Sadly, it's exactly what Steve says... Almost no one cares if the artist isn't well known.

Personally I hate how overrated some of the old artists like Da Vinci, Van Gogh etc. are. I see nothing special in their works and there are people way more talented alive today that will never get any recognition whatsoever.

Less than the copyright holders would sue for, probably.

Honestly I have never paid more than $100 for hand painted work. His best bet is to paint some non copyrighted material and approach a local gallery.

My thought exactly, copyright can be a pain in the ass.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

I know you're not flogging it but if he does want to sell it, i'd love to buy it.

I'd say named your price but i know you so i expect a 120% discount, so you basically owe me 20% of the cost  :lol: but seriously, my nephews would love this and i'd honestly buy it.

I also immediately thought about the copyright infringement angle but I've been confused for a while now. My friends wife makes mini polymer clay things and sells them on etzy.com. A lot of the items she sells are trademarked and copyrighted products and shes never had an issue? Franks RedHot actually did a blog story about her mini Frank's RedHot bottles. :huh: She scans actual products, shrinks the art down, prints it and affixes it to clay. (NES cartridges, Kraft Mac&Cheese, Oreo Cookies, etc...) Again I'm confused?

IMO I think the $50-100 price range is fair for that when considering you can pick up wall stickers of most of those characters in the $10-50 ea. range.

EG: 68-1/2" x 23-1/4" $17.99

RMK2289GMlg.jpg

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg