AI in the video game industry

AI is something that is going to affect a lot of us and a lot of the jobs we do in the future, it just got me thinking of how many jobs are already being affected within the video game industry and if more measures should be brought in to combat or restrict some of it (for all roles and sectors)

AI art has come a long way in the last couple of years, is there now any need for someone to sit there creating concept art or could the person with the idea for the game sit down and type a few words, hit refresh a couple of times until they get something they like? Similarly are we far away from say using Chat GPT from writing the story behind the next Fallout or Call of Duty games? I imagine they probably could do so already? But then if AI is taking away those roles and ultimately helping the cost of games or media to come down will that ever translate into the price we pay for content?

Luseth.png

• Luseth changed the title to AI in the video game industry

I can see the likes of Ubisoft jumping on this and the state of Call of Duty writing these days; it may as well be written with AI. Actually AI could probably do a better job than what Sledgehammer did for Vangarbage and IW for MW3. I think a few indie developers have already expressed interest in using AI generate art for some in-game stuff which could save time and money but the AAA ones shouldn't go down this route. It's bad enough with copy and pasted assets and concepts *cough *cough Ubisoft. 

Sadly if jobs are lost and big games go this way then the gaming community probably wont bat an eyelid as they support enough horrible practices these days as it is. On the other flip side, some of the writing in games is so dreadful, AI is worth consideration. It will be interesting to see if AI is capable of generating extreme-quality in-engine assets through which could be a game-changer but as of now, I only support hand-crafted games from reputable developers.