Job/Life? Advice

jordie1892

Hey guys,

I've realised I'm quickly coming to the time in my life when I need to take some action into getting a full-time job. I'll be finishing with college in a couple of months and have no plans ready for what to do afterwards.

I'm fed up with the school system right now and university doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm looking at around £50k+ of debt, with no guarantee of a job afterwards. I've got friends and family members who stack shelves for a living despite having a fancy degree, surely 3 years of work experience can be just as good?

In the perfect scenario I'd have my own business. I'd help other small business' to market themselves through websites, flyers, radio and other forms of media, without charging an arm and a leg. I wouldn't expect to earn a whole lot, but I'd enjoy doing it. The main problem with this is that it's already a competitive market, and who's going to trust an 18 year old fresh out of college with their marketing budget? 

Whilst I'm lucky enough to have parents willing to support me for the near-future, I refuse to be a leech. I can't stand the thought of sitting on my arse getting nowhere in life and relying on others for support. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Hey guys,

I've realised I'm quickly coming to the time in my life when I need to take some action into getting a full-time job. I'll be finishing with college in a couple of months and have no plans ready for what to do afterwards.

I'm fed up with the school system right now and university doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm looking at around £50k+ of debt, with no guarantee of a job afterwards. I've got friends and family members who stack shelves for a living despite having a fancy degree, surely 3 years of work experience can be just as good?

In the perfect scenario I'd have my own business. I'd help other small business' to market themselves through websites, flyers, radio and other forms of media, without charging an arm and a leg. I wouldn't expect to earn a whole lot, but I'd enjoy doing it. The main problem with this is that it's already a competitive market, and who's going to trust an 18 year old fresh out of college with their marketing budget? 

Whilst I'm lucky enough to have parents willing to support me for the near-future, I refuse to be a leech. I can't stand the thought of sitting on my arse getting nowhere in life and relying on others for support. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Can't really help Jordie, but I feel your pain.

There are a few connected folks here, and most of them in the UK area, hopefully they can help.

DM9ON.png

Can't really help Jordie, but I feel your pain.

There are a few connected folks here, and most of them in the UK area, hopefully they can help.

Cheers man. I know there's some "older" guys here who've got job experience so I thought I'd ask.

Right, the problem with I find with trying to give advice with things like this are how one direction that works for one could be a disaster for someone else. Here's what I did anyway...

I went to university. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left school and university seemed the easy choice. I did 4 years and walked away with an Honours Degree in Computer Science. There was no jobs out there for me when I left. None. They all wanted experience and everyone mentions that catch 22, how can you get experience if no one wants to give you a chance in the first place? I went home and got a job in a call centre just to keep me going. Within a month I was moved to a team lead role and I stayed there for 1 and half years. I then got an interview to for a programming job in a large bank in Scotland. I got that and I've been working there for just over 2 years (and enjoying it).

University worked out for me because it did give me that degree that helped me get an interview but it gave me a lot more. I was incredibly shy at 18 and had very little confidence. Uni was where I felt that all change and I'm feeling the benefits of that experience more now than the 4 years of knowledge they tried to stuff down my throat. I don't think I would have as good a job just now had I left school at 18 and did a trade (most people I know go in to a trade). But that's just me. I hated actually going to uni, I skived and I'm surprised I passed but it helped me so much.

I don't envy you. I hated that decision and in hindsight, I think I made the right decision. Scotland helps you take that uni risk because, unlike England, it doesn't charge you ridiculous fees. You can take a chance on it, and most do. I know a lot who have tried and failed in the first year and it's not a huge issue. They weren't interested so they wasted a year (and may have learned some life lessons and not ended up with a ridiculous fee at the end).

I guess my point is, because I think I'm rambling a bit, is that my story is pretty irrelevant to you and one of the hardest choices you'll ever have to make. If you don't want to go to uni, don't. If you want to go in to marketing, try and find an apprenticeship. Look for open college courses. E-mail companies and ask them what they look for in candidates and any recommendations they might have for you. You seemed to have a good attitude. I know plenty of people who didn't even want to face up to this, or went to uni because their parents wanted them too, or where quite happy to sponge of their parents. Your attitude puts you a step ahead of a lot of people your age.

Good luck with what you decide to do, loads of people on here will have better advice than me.

Right, the problem with I find with trying to give advice with things like this are how one direction that works for one could be a disaster for someone else. Here's what I did anyway...

I went to university. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I left school and university seemed the easy choice. I did 4 years and walked away with an Honours Degree in Computer Science. There was no jobs out there for me when I left. None. They all wanted experience and everyone mentions that catch 22, how can you get experience if no one wants to give you a chance in the first place? I went home and got a job in a call centre just to keep me going. Within a month I was moved to a team lead role and I stayed there for 1 and half years. I then got an interview to for a programming job in a large bank in Scotland. I got that and I've been working there for just over 2 years (and enjoying it).

University worked out for me because it did give me that degree that helped me get an interview but it gave me a lot more. I was incredibly shy at 18 and had very little confidence. Uni was where I felt that all change and I'm feeling the benefits of that experience more now than the 4 years of knowledge they tried to stuff down my throat. I don't think I would have as good a job just now had I left school at 18 and did a trade (most people I know go in to a trade). But that's just me. I hated actually going to uni, I skived and I'm surprised I passed but it helped me so much.

I don't envy you. I hated that decision and in hindsight, I think I made the right decision. Scotland helps you take that uni risk because, unlike England, it doesn't charge you ridiculous fees. You can take a chance on it, and most do. I know a lot who have tried and failed in the first year and it's not a huge issue. They weren't interested so they wasted a year (and may have learned some life lessons and not ended up with a ridiculous fee at the end).

I guess my point is, because I think I'm rambling a bit, is that my story is pretty irrelevant to you and one of the hardest choices you'll ever have to make. If you don't want to go to uni, don't. If you want to go in to marketing, try and find an apprenticeship. Look for open college courses. E-mail companies and ask them what they look for in candidates and any recommendations they might have for you. You seemed to have a good attitude. I know plenty of people who didn't even want to face up to this, or went to uni because their parents wanted them too, or where quite happy to sponge of their parents. Your attitude puts you a step ahead of a lot of people your age.

Good luck with what you decide to do, loads of people on here will have better advice than me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply man :)

I think Uni would be more beneficial if I was aiming for a job in which the degree really helps. A lot of jobs within the media industry are portfolio/experience based. Getting a degree in something like computer science or business would definitely open up opportunities. I'll also start shooting out some e-mails, good idea.

Are there internships available in your field in your area?

Unfortunately not in media, and when they do crop up they're gone in minutes :/

I shouldn't be limiting myself to just jobs in the media industry though right? I know it's something I enjoy but if I don't consider other options I could be shit out of luck haha

Since you seem to have some support from your parents and you seem responsible enough I would suggest that you try and run your marketing business idea and see how it goes. Give yourself a timeline to determine success and if you meet it great if not reconsider.

The internet is a beautiful tool if you use it well and you could create a sample portfolio and post it. Then send out links/information to different companies and see if there is interest in your work. If you are creative and people like what you do you should get some leads out of that. People will not necessarily know at that point you are just a young guy without a formal education.

I would also suggest that you take some college classes. It will give you some contacts and it will hopefully give you some additional skills. It will also leave the door open should you decide to get a degree.

I personally am in favor of degrees however. I have several and so does my wife. There isn't a one person in our entire family that doesn't have an advance professional degree and it's worked out marvelously for us. However I do understand that cost and the employment situation has changed drastically for young people. My son is planning for University next year and my daughter should follow in two.

There are a number of jobs here in Canada were you simply cannot be considered unless you have a degree. It's something that you need to consider in the future.

I applied for a Marketing apprenticeship two years ago. The job application made it sound like a good starting job. I'm like you. I feel like if I can get my foot in the door then hard work and my lovable character will progress me. It promised me a starting salary of £20,000 and a starting block for a long and fruitful career.

I went for my interview and the job was actually going round East Kilbride (which is a sucky town outside Glasgow), knocking on doors, trying to sign people up to charitys. I was shown around by a 17 year old girl who had her best week the week before because she made just over £100 in commission. There was no pay. Your pay was commission.

I turned the job down.

Since you seem to have some support from your parents and you seem responsible enough I would suggest that you try and run your marketing business idea and see how it goes. Give yourself a timeline to determine success and if you meet it great if not reconsider.

The internet is a beautiful tool if you use it well and you could create a sample portfolio and post it. Then send out links/information to different companies and see if there is interest in your work. If you are creative and people like what you do you should get some leads out of that. People will not necessarily know at that point you are just a young guy without a formal education.

I would also suggest that you take some college classes. It will give you some contacts and it will hopefully give you some additional skills. It will also leave the door open should you decide to get a degree.

I personally am in favor of degrees however. I have several and so does my wife. There isn't a one person in our entire family that doesn't have an advance professional degree and it's worked out marvelously for us. However I do understand that cost and the employment situation has changed drastically for young people. My son is planning for University next year and my daughter should follow in two.

There are a number of jobs here in Canada were you simply cannot be considered unless you have a degree. It's something that you need to consider in the future.

I'm working on my portfolio website now and I suppose you're right, if they like what's produced it shouldn't be a problem. I've been studying creative media at college for the last 2 years and enjoyed it. I have the necessary UCAS points to get into university right now (kind of like a point system to see how capable you are). It's the same in England with some jobs requiring a degree to even be considered. It could be a case of doing a part-time course later in life if I have to.

I applied for a Marketing apprenticeship two years ago. The job application made it sound like a good starting job. I'm like you. I feel like if I can get my foot in the door then hard work and my lovable character will progress me. It promised me a starting salary of £20,000 and a starting block for a long and fruitful career.

I went for my interview and the job was actually going round East Kilbride (which is a sucky town outside Glasgow), knocking on doors, trying to sign people up to charitys. I was shown around by a 17 year old girl who had her best week the week before because she made just over £100 in commission. There was no pay. Your pay was commission.

I turned the job down.

...yeah that's some bullshit. I've got a friend on a construction apprenticeship who makes just under £3 an hour. It's practically slave labour <_<   

Uni is a no-go in this climate at present particularly with the lavish tuition fees which doesn't include the living costs. A few of my friends in the past few years went to university and none of them to this day have got a position in their desired field of employment and a couple of them went without work for way over a year. In the end, they just bit the bullet and got simple low paid jobs. It was a fun experience for them but they are in dimes of debt on a horrific level and bound by repayments come when they receive a job at a certain salary.

Many internships promise so much but deliver little. It's just ways for companies to exploit people to make the tea :lol: If you go this way; make sure the role is detailed and consistent and that they have the determination to take you on if you are successful. 

Part time work is also good to start your career. It's experience and not too heavy plus you can do studies on the side or if you enjoy the job; earn more hours if possible. It doesn't have to be your career but it's money coming in and you still have time to do other things.  Best thing to do is find something you enjoy and as you have parental support; you don't have too much money worries and won't need to look for something that pays high but you;ll hate.

It's a dreadful working world out there at the moment and many are struggling but you're just starting your career and you have good security and lots of potential.

Oh and Burger King are hiring in most places if you get desperate ;)

I turned the job down.

You could do both - if you know you can go to Uni now why not aim to get a place for September , and try between now and then to test the job market, or try out your own business. Keep your options open as much as possible, its a tough job market. Get some experience in working, even McD would look better on a cv than doing nothing. Don't knock it, a lot of marketing departments do have young people doing their first career job - so stand out from the rest of the young people looking for their first job by demonstrating you've worked hard, even in a stop gap.

Uni is a no-go in this climate at present particularly with the lavish tuition fees which doesn't include the living costs. A few of my friends in the past few years went to university and none of them to this day have got a position in their desired field of employment and a couple of them went without work for way over a year. In the end, they just bit the bullet and got simple low paid jobs. It was a fun experience for them but they are in dimes of debt on a horrific level and bound by repayments come when they receive a job at a certain salary.

Many internships promise so much but deliver little. It's just ways for companies to exploit people to make the tea :lol: If you go this way; make sure the role is detailed and consistent and that they have the determination to take you on if you are successful. 

Part time work is also good to start your career. It's experience and not too heavy plus you can do studies on the side or if you enjoy the job; earn more hours if possible. It doesn't have to be your career but it's money coming in and you still have time to do other things.  Best thing to do is find something you enjoy and as you have parental support; you don't have too much money worries and won't need to look for something that pays high but you;ll hate.

It's a dreadful working world out there at the moment and many are struggling but you're just starting your career and you have good security and lots of potential.

Oh and Burger King are hiring in most places if you get desperate ;)

I hadn't considered part-time work. Maybe earning something alongside starting my own business. As you and others have said, enjoying the work seems to be more important than getting paid more, I'll definitely take that into consideration.... And I'm more of a Subway man  :lol:

You could do both - if you know you can go to Uni now why not aim to get a place for September , and try between now and then to test the job market, or try out your own business. Keep your options open as much as possible, its a tough job market. Get some experience in working, even McD would look better on a cv than doing nothing. Don't knock it, a lot of marketing departments do have young people doing their first career job - so stand out from the rest of the young people looking for their first job by demonstrating you've worked hard, even in a stop gap.

Most Uni's have already handed out their offers back in January, It looks like I'll have another year before it's an option again. For me doing nothing isn't really an option, I need to stay occupied. I can always apply for a job at Waitrose but I figured there were more worthwhile options.

Alot of solid advice here. And I'll add my $.02.

I've always been of the opinion that college isn't for everybody, nor should it be. And not going to college isn't something that should be looked down upon, so first and foremost don't ever feel like you're "less" than anybody for not going to college.

Next, if you really love what you do, and you put in the time and effort, you will be sucessful - whatever sucessful means to you.

The most important thing to do though, in my opinion, whether you go to college or not, is have a solid plan. Having a solid plan will enable you to evaluate yourself at various times and let's you know if you need to make adjustments or rework your plan. I can almost guarantee that at some point in time, your plan WILL fall apart, but that's ok. You can rework your plan at any time.

I don't know you well enought to say you should or shouldn't go to college, but I know that the later in life you get the harder it is to go back to schol. I know in the US there are alot of scholarships and grants that you can apply for to get financial aid to help lessen some of the high costs. At a minimum if you're looking into a career where many of your peers/competitors have degrees, you should at least look at the cost/benefit analysis of going to college. It may make sense, it may not. That's for you to decide.

Alot of solid advice here. And I'll add my $.02.

The most important thing to do though, in my opinion, whether you go to college or not, is have a solid plan. Having a solid plan will enable you to evaluate yourself at various times and let's you know if you need to make adjustments or rework your plan. I can almost guarantee that at some point in time, your plan WILL fall apart, but that's ok. You can rework your plan at any time.

My problem is I don't really know what the end goal is. The business idea is something I would love, but I don't know much outside the media industry. It's something I'm going to have to sit and think about. Thanks for the help.

My problem is I don't really know what the end goal is. The business idea is something I would love, but I don't know much outside the media industry. It's something I'm going to have to sit and think about. Thanks for the help.

Maybe the first part of your goal is to have an end goal in 4 years. At that point you can rework your plan and adjust accordingly.

No one says that what you do now, has to be what you are doing in 20 years. When I first started college I really didn't know what I wanted to do. But I know I really loved math. Well as it turns out I really like economics and business as well - but I didn't know that until I went to school and learned about it. But I still had no idea what I wanted to do. In my sophomore year I learned about an internship at a Reinsurance Company. I, like most people, didn't know what the heck that was. I did a little research and thought it sounded interesting so I applied and got the internship. I really liked it and ended up doing it between my junior and senior years as well. Now I've been in the industry for 4 years and I really enjoy it. 6 years ago I had no idea that this industry even existed. And now I'm in the process to moving on to an investment banking role in the same company (along with my current role). Again something I hadn't even thought about 6 years ago.

My point is that you don't know whats out there until you start doing something. That thing you decide to do, may open doors to other opportunities that you like even more. Try different things out, it might work it might not, but it'll be a learning experience either way.

Maybe the first part of your goal is to have an end goal in 4 years. At that point you can rework your plan and adjust accordingly.

No one says that what you do now, has to be what you are doing in 20 years. When I first started college I really didn't know what I wanted to do. But I know I really loved math. Well as it turns out I really like economics and business as well - but I didn't know that until I went to school and learned about it. But I still had no idea what I wanted to do. In my sophomore year I learned about an internship at a Reinsurance Company. I, like most people, didn't know what the heck that was. I did a little research and thought it sounded interesting so I applied and got the internship. I really liked it and ended up doing it between my junior and senior years as well. Now I've been in the industry for 4 years and I really enjoy it. 6 years ago I had no idea that this industry even existed. And now I'm in the process to moving on to an investment banking role in the same company (along with my current role). Again something I hadn't even thought about 6 years ago.

My point is that you don't know whats out there until you start doing something. That thing you decide to do, may open doors to other opportunities that you like even more. Try different things out, it might work it might not, but it'll be a learning experience either way.

Cheers man. I guess I should just get stuck in haha

Jordie it is always hard to try to give job advice to someone else because everyone is so different. What works for me might not even make sense to you, or what works for the next guy might seem like insanity to someone else, so with that said all I can do if offer my opinion based on what I myself would do if I were a young 18 yr old guy like yourself just getting out of college, not sure what I want to do, and 50K worth of debt.

First off you are NOT being a leech to your parents. If it makes you feel better then throw a few bucks to them for rent but stay there for a couple years while you get some of that 50K debt paid down because once you are out on your own you will not have the chance to pay the debt off like will be able to now. Since you don't know yet what you want to do, and like you said being 18 right out of school it's gonna be hard for someone to trust you with their marketing budget right now because of that. So What I would do...

I would go get just basically ANY job you can get right now. No matter what it is even stocking shelves or what have you, because if you stay at home for 2 years then you could get that 50K debt paid down dramatically with even a low paying job because you would not have any other bills to pay. Then after 2 years or so you could then start to look into starting up your own media business because you would have most your debt paid down, you would no longer be a 18 yr old just out of college so people would be a bit more apt to consider you for their marketing needs, but the main thing is you would not be starting life 50k in the hole. Then you could actually look for something that you truly enjoy doing.

Like I said that may not be the best advice for everyone, but that's what makes sense to me personally.

I think (and hope) that the 50k debt Jordie mentions is what he would owe if he went to university.

Jordie, from what I've read here and in some of your other posts, I think that you'll succeed at whatever you put your mind to. There's always football coaching ;)

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I was assuming since he said he is finishing college that the 50K debt was already there?

College in England isn't like in the states, I think high-school would be the closest comparison? Basically free education is finished now and It would cost me just over 50k if I went further. Thanks though :)

I think (and hope) that the 50k debt Jordie mentions is what he would owe if he went to university.

Jordie, from what I've read here and in some of your other posts, I think that you'll succeed at whatever you put your mind to. There's always football coaching ;)

Cheers man :D

I've actually still got some contacts with the Dons, and my old coach is head of the Watford academy right now. It might be worth me getting the right coaching qualifications and seeing where that takes me (at least in the short-term).

College in England isn't like in the states, I think high-school would be the closest comparison? Basically free education is finished now and It would cost me just over 50k if I went further. Thanks though :)

Yeah definitely very different than here. My Nephew got a $82,000 scholarship to Lawrence tech, and it's still gonna cost him another $20,000 debt even on top of the scholarship :blink: