What is your top game of the 90s?
Posted
27 minutes ago, WelchyTV said:

Being born in 1993 I didn’t have too much time with video games in the 90’s. That being said, I did have a game boy and a Dreamcast. So I would have to say Pokemon Red/Blue for me, with a shoutout to SoulCalibur too!

I was born in 1990, that's no excuse! 😛

A lot of my gaming was gameboy / megadrive to be fair. The gameboy was the first one my parents bought me but I got the mega drive quite young as I was given it by my cousin, he was much older and I think at the age where gaming got left behind a little while he went off chasing girls and such I suspect.

Luseth.png

What is your top game of the 90s?
Posted

Looking back we were in a state of transition, moving away from 16 bit graphics to experience our first forray into 3d. A lot of the 3d models were blockish and certainly would not hold up well today, heck it's not often you see someone make a 90s style game but people do keep going back to our 16 bit era.

So, are there any games you remember fondly? For me it'ss the obvious final fantasy games, but in addition to that I always remember fighting force. Spending a lot of time on streets of rage when I was younger I suppose this was the sort of game that evolved from them, walking around 3d levels beating the crap out of people.

So, are there any that you remember fondly?

Luseth.png

I don't know if anyone saw this the other day but a 13 year old lad has managed to make Tetris reach the kill screen on the original NES, this has only ever been done by ai machines before so for a human to do it is quite incredible.

Not sure if any of you play Tetris very often but it can obviously get incredibly manic as the difficulty ramps up, if you get a moment have a nose at the video on youtube and take a look see just how quick his reactions had to be!

Luseth.png

Best Retro Game Bosses
Posted

I think my favourite bosses may be a little different, growing up with a lot of my games I rarely got to final bosses, whether it was a shorter attention span or not being good enough I don't know, however I did get to a few bosses when it came to JRPG's. I think the first one I always think of is a boss that I don't think you ever got to beat from memory -

I thought her character was fantastic throughout, I know not a main feature but her loyalty to the crown, her strength, she came to her senses midway through the game, I don't think they realised at the time but if they had fleshed her story out a little more it would have paid off.

Luseth.png

So recently I have had a bit of a focus on psp and ps vita games, the vita games I have 3 new additions and I am finding the games already pricey to collect so be mindful of that if you ever want to collect vita stuff. 

That said if you want to begin a collection and keep it wuite affordable, psp is a nice place to start, the last couple of months I have picked up a fair few games (most of them being under a tenner) and they are all fun exciting games in my eyes, many of which I have not played to date -

IMG_5393.jpeg

Luseth.png

19 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Anyone played Revelations Co-op? Its a great experience which feels slightly different to the rest due to the co-op gameplay. Shortish games but well worth a go. Not saying they can make top 5 but maybe if people want to jump in together for a few tries it may feel like it could be close to number 5 at least.

Would be up for giving this or any sort of co-op game a go, it's one type of mp game we don't really play here, in that most games we tend to play together are competitve but there are some great co-op games about (though obvious numbers become limited).

Luseth.png

Mega drive lovin
Posted
6 hours ago, Sir.Arthur said:

I grew up playing and adoring the MD,I really have good memories of these games : Gaiares, Vampire Killer,Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi and Sonic series.

I had Revenge of Shinobi, at the age I was owning a mega drive I never got very far! I do still have the game at home somewhere though (unfortunately unboxed). Sonic was one of my go to games when I was younger, it was bright and colourful and happy (despite the fact some meglamaniac was stealing all the little animals!)

Luseth.png

Excuse the mess, having a bit of a sort out at home :D

Anyway, I grew up being a big gameboy fan in my young years i.e. 5-10, used to love being able to play pokemon everywhere and the og games were quite long due to the amount of grinding required etc. Unfortunately none of these are my original gameboys as they got broken when I was younger (I did not appreciate the hardware like I do today), so back right is the og gameboy, that one is a bit yellowed these days and it was actually my wife's from when she was younger. The only game that one has ever really seen was tetris which I think came with it?

Middle left is one of my jewels in the collection, these go for a tidy sum as it is but what makes this one a little bit special is I bought it for about £30 on ebay around 6 years ago, the value has shot up since then but it was probably my first real gaming bargain. I put a bid on ebay, it did not detail that it was boxed or anything so when it turned up complete (the box has seen better days) it was a bit of a score, the handheld itself is immaculate.

Back right is GBA SP - Pearl Blue, I have no idea if it is a reshell but it's a lurvley looking handheld.

At the front are the og DS which I bought recently for about £30 as I wanted something a bit more comfortable to hold when playing gba games, the white psp is also a recent purchase and I have gone a little mad on buying games for that with about 13-14 games for it already I think (probably part of the reason I am going to be broke for the next couple of months ^_^ )

The red console in the middle is a Vita, the coloured versions were only released in Japan, I have no idea why, I had a black OLED one originally and like a numpty I sold it. Then when I came to wanting one again the price was near enough the same for this as it was black UK equivalent so I picked this tidy thing up.

Then I have my 3ds's, the DS is a brilliant console in itself, there are a huge number of games and such a variety. The right one is the pikachu version, again because it's pokemon related it's a nice little collectible and then the right one is a new 3ds, this is meant to sit in another box which I imagine would add some extra value to it but these are becoming quite sought after, you had to be some club nintendo member in order to be able to pick one up, you only became a member of this if you bought a 3ds before the original price drop in it's early days, so Nintendo's little way of saying sorry I imagine. Anyway the faceplates are a little scuffed but other than that it's a lurvly little thing ^_^

IMG_5115.thumb.jpeg.56227b20ef9c9e2ee4bb6d290bfd367e.jpeg

Luseth.png

What is the best handheld console?
Posted
22 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I've gotta lot of thoughts about them, so i'll probably visit this thread back and forth over time. Everything is cyclical @Luseth so they won't really ever die out imo. People want everything in one space like your phone, but with games because people will demand more in the coming years of AAA games, mobiles won't be able to handle them as they'll be a Jack of all trades, Master of sweet FA. Look at the camera industry. Don't need them as much now because of phones, but there is slowly becoming a resurgence in fully fledged standalone cameras because they give you more freedom for the people that love taking photos.

Yeah I agree that a product that is dedicated to a task tends to be way better, I still have a camera, I mean the big one is I don't want to drain my phone battery if I go out with the intention to take a few photos. But that said mobile gaming is the biggest element of the gaming industry now and I can't help but feel it is only a matter of time before handhelds as we know it will fade out. There will still be a place for say emulation devices and such but whether or not a Switch will still be around in 40 years time, I am not convinced (especially as cloud gaming does fully take over).

I have a lovely handheld collection and plan to put some photos up, that said it probably doesn't go earlier than the gameboys unfortunately.

Luseth.png

What is the best handheld console?
Posted

Putting this one here as though the Switch is handheld and we now have the Steamdeck the majority of handhelds are getting on a bit now.

In fact it seems like there is not much of a future for them considering the power we have in our tablets and mobile phones these days. That said I have quite a growing handheld collection with a nice white psp being added to the collection the past week and it got me thinking about which one's are my favourite.

We have the DS / 3DS consoles where there was an abundance of games and it was incredibly accessible for people, the PSP being Sony's first forray into handheld consoles and it being fairly successful to it's PS Vita offering which I think was maybe the best console but let down by Sony.

So do you have a favourite, do any of them still get a look in with modern consoles, steam decks, nintendo switches being available? Are there any games that bring back fond memories?

For me it is the PSP, partly because I had a PSP Go back when I used to work away and it was incredibly versatile, had an abundance of jrpg's that I loved (Jeanne D'Arc was brilliant as a tactics type game) and I used to sit at the top of 30m stacks just gaming and every now and again taking a reading. It was pretty great.

Luseth.png

So just been discussing this series with some friends, I have never played a Resi Evil game properly. I might have dipped in 1 or 2 for a few minutes but never comitted any real time to a game.

Looking at 7 on the ps4 and having it in my library I plan to give it a go once one of the games I am currently playing finishes up. What I wanted to ask is your top 5's and recommendations?

I felt retro is more apt as I suppose these day's the games before 7 are mostly retro?

Luseth.png

Remakes you want to see?
Posted
2 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

@Luseth - My worry with any Final Fantasy remake is they will change the battle system as seen in FF7 which left me tainted. Nothing beats the ATB system for me in those worlds.

Agreed, that's why I said they couldn't fuck with the combat system

😛

Also what the fuck is wrong with you????

3 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

- I'd love to see Chrono Trigger because i've never had the chance to play it either.

Also I have it on the nintendo DS 😄 It's probably the most affordable way if you want to own a copy (I think it's still under £100 just about), can't remember how much I paid for it years back.

Luseth.png

Remakes you want to see?
Posted

Ooooo these have to be full on remakes -

Final Fantasy 9 - My favourite game to date, if they remade this but don't fuck with the combat system I would be well happy.

Knights of the old republic (They are doing this anyway so we will see what they do with it

Witcher 1 - Again they are doing this and I am quite stoked for this one.

Jade Empire - This was one of those underrated games that didn't quite do as well as it probably should, a real gem.

Dragon age origins - One of my favourite games to date and I don't think this one would be too difficult to do, members of the original team have said they would be keen but EA just don't get single player games and probably don't see this being profitable.

The Lord of the rings Two towers - Your telling me this would not sell well, running across the top of the fortresses throwing orcs over the side and shoving ladders down and hearing them scream 😄

Dark Cloud & Dark Chronicle

Luseth.png

@GazzaGarrattthe two stores i visit frequently are below. There are 1 or 2 more not too far as well but I have not been to them, will dig out store names and locations when I get a moment though

Vintage gamer -

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Old skool gaming -

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Luseth.png

Show us your recent retro purchases!
Posted
57 minutes ago, James5497 said:

I put this on my PPR but I thought I'd post it here as well. I manage to pick up, The Simpsons Hit and Run, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Sonic Heroes and Star Wars Battlefront 2 all for Playstation 2.

I also then received a few other beauties including SSX and PES from @GazzaGarrattwhich I was extremely happy about.

I've yet had the time to properly play any of them but I am very excited for when that moment does come around!

PXL_20230110_210943065.jpg

set yourself aside an evening a week as retro game night 🙂 one of the best thing I started doing and even get the little un to have a go sometime ^_^

Luseth.png

1 hour ago, James5497 said:

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on where the best place to buy retro video games is online or irl?

Personal experiences -

cex is fine if you go in store, buying online can be very hit and miss with quality

Ebay can be good if you know exactly what you are after but priced a little high

Charity shops are much more difficult to find a bargain these days, a lot of them have cottoned onto the value and put them on ebay these days

My best experiences have been smaller independant stores and retro game fayres. There are 2 or 3 local to me and they have recently been revamped so they tend to be my first port of call.

Luseth.png

Videogame Shops
Posted

This one was my local one based in merry hill. I loved these stores and was the first place I bought a Final Fantasy game (despite it's recent issues / flaws it's still my favourite series to date)

No photo description available.

It is a shame the way stores have gone, online buying has almost completely taken over but there's a charm to some of these places.

My favourite store currently was actually recently reviewed by thegebs youtube woman -

Vintage Gamer

Luseth.png

Videogame Shops
Posted

This is a disappointing post James, all the effort and thought gone into it and then missed out gamestation 😄

I only ever visited game / gamestation, these day's I enjoy my local retro stores and the nearby HMV has completely changed in that they have gone down the route of more pop culture, they have some arcade machines, vinyl and the such and I was mesmerised when I first went in the other week (sadly not enough spare cash to buy everything though).

Luseth.png

Posted
11 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Ah man, those Sega Saturn games makes me want to sort my gaming station out again as I haven't got all space right now for all the consoles out. Shining Force 2 is supposed to be a stellar game i've heard, nice purchases Matt!

That's 3 (or at least part 1 of 3) 😄 The second game is the only one I do not have 😞 The first game I have on mega drive but doesn't have the manual, the third game, the later parts were never released outside Japan so they only way I will play them is a re-release or emulation (I am fairly sure there are English translations). But we will see, I am playing the first one on the Switch at the moment as they did a re release. It's up there with Fire emblem as one of my favourite series. I won't tell you what I paid for the third game 😄

Luseth.png

Posted

I never got round to uploading these photos late in the summer but I picked up my first sega saturn and first few games for it along with a PS1 game that was meant to be the prelude to the shadow hearts games on the ps2.

Admittedly I have not played them yet but they are on my list to play in the near future, particularly Kodelka which looks just my type of game.

IMG_3744.jpeg

IMG_3752.jpeg

Luseth.png

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy