Playstation will start collecting Tax on sales

GazzaGarratt

One of the many reasons I'm happy to live in the UK.

Sony announced from 1st April that they will start collecting tax in areas that pay tax. Not sure if that means for most of you US guys it'll go up significantly or not on PSN.

People are getting around it but it will be illegal from that date forward. Using a UK address and paying via PayPal or using PSN cards it seems.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

One of the many reasons I'm happy to live in the UK.

Sony announced from 1st April that they will start collecting tax in areas that pay tax. Not sure if that means for most of you US guys it'll go up significantly or not on PSN.

People are getting around it but it will be illegal from that date forward. Using a UK address and paying via PayPal or using PSN cards it seems.

Taxes are complicated in the USA, I don't see it working very well because some states have sales tax and some don't. Most are different. So it would be a matter of giving an address in a zero tax state

If you use your PS4 for streaming or watching video you want to be careful about it but it isn't impossible. For instance I had to create an American account on my PSN in order to be able to watch American amazon prime and HBO and Comcast (my cable company). I could not on the Canadian account because those services are not available there, PSN can easily check you IP address and determine where you are unless you use a VPN to mask the address.

This might be a bigger issue. I know that the Tax agencies have said they would go after online commerce because they lose Billions in tax revenue when taxes are not collected. Sony is just getting ahead of the curve to avoid litigation.