MacGyverisms - Help me build a MacGyver Survival Kit

spectre

First off, welcome to this thread.

Next

I am working on building a survival kit that MacGyver would have been proud of.  Feel free to post your ideas on what I can add to this and then I will update the Master List in the bottom of this post.

The plan is to make it as small as possible, perhaps to fit inside a Waterproof Box, like this.

Otterbox-2500-waterproof-case-clear.jpg

I won't list all of the items I have included so far so as to give you guys a change to post your own ideas. Just post up a Picture when you make an addition.  Sort of like a forum game.  Also, you can post up any Science type videos that MacGyver would proud of. The plan is to have a survival kit with links to all kinds of things you would be able to do with the kit included in it.

Like this for example.

How to cut a glass bottle, clean in half

As we find new and interesting science experiments, we'll add the necessary items. Also, if you have some random knowledge, chime in like this.

"Did you know, banging a metal pipe on metal causes temporary molecular structural alignment as all the ions run to the other end thereby creating the magnet"

MASTER LIST

• Waterproof Box
  • Yarn, 10 ft length
  • Multi-Tool
  • 2 AA batteries
  • 1 9 V battery
  • 1 12 V a23 battery
  • 5 sticks of chewing gum
  • Tin Can with top cut off (store additional survival items inside to save space)
  • Rubber Band
  • Sewing Needle - and kit
  • Wire, Insulated, Copper - 24"
  • Candle Wick
  • Superglue tube
  • Safety Pins
  • Swivels, Fishing
  • Toothpick
  • Trick B-Day candle
  • Valve Stem Cap remover
  • Lip Balm Tube (store emergency money in)
  • Ball Point Pen (parts - plastic tube, spring, ink)
  • Dental Floss (cordage, dental care)
  • Emergency Can Opener
  • Pencil Sharpener
  • Carpenter Pencil
  • Heat Shrink Tubing
  • Zipties
  • Ductape
  • Scissors (sewing kit)
  • 6 color roll of thread
  • Razor Blade
  • 6" length of medical tubing (tracheostomy, use as straw, nasopharyngeal airway)
  • Clothes pin
  • Alligator clips
  • Caribiner (use to attach box to pack on outside)
  • Velcro strips, 6 "
  • Pocket Socket Wrench, Survival tool
  • Field Fix it kit
  • Rubber repair kit
  • Mini button compass
  • Mini survival mirror
  • Survival Finger Saw
  • Mini bobber (fishing)
  • Band-aids
  • Cordage, fishing line, 20 ft
  • Cordage, jute twine, 6 ft
  • Cordage, nylon, 6 ft
  • Handcuff key
  •  

MASTER LIST - DID YOU KNOW

Magnetism

• "Did you know, banging a metal pipe on metal causes temporary molecular structural alignment as all the ions run to the other end thereby creating the magnet"
  • ...You can magnetize a needle to make a compass

Light

• You can insert a candle wick into a can of tuna in oil to make an oil lamp

Physics

• ...you can use a rubber band to open a door locked by a sliding chain, from the outside. Attach one end to the chain and the other end to the door knob. Open the door and it will slide the chain off.

Fire

• ...you can use a piece of chewing gum foil to start a fire. Just fold up the foil and attach each end to opposite ends on the battery. The current flowing through will ignite the wrapper.
  • ...you can start a fire by touching a 9v battery to steel wool.

Keep calm and question nothing.

"Did you know, that instead of waiting for Police to scare off vandals or criminals in your area, you can download a Siren app to your ipad, hook it up to speakers and blare it for them to hear and scare them off."

lol just read this really happened.

http://www.thealpenanews.com/page/content.detail/id/526523/Editorial-A-modern-day-MacGyver.html?nav=5002

Sewing Needle + Coil of Wire (insulated will work) + Battery = Magnetize Needle for Compass

This is my own idea, drawing upon what I learned about the process of induction. When you move a wire in and out of a coil of wire, it creates a current.  Wrap the insulated wire around the needle and attach both wire ends to each end of the battery. After 5 minutes it should be magnetized and then you can use it as a compass needle.

added

sewing needle

electronic copper wire

Faraday's Law of Induction

Well a Peltier, in an environment like that, is like lighting a firecracker and then trying to make it not destroy itself. They're an incredibly clever design but without a proper environment to regulate them in, they'll burn out before you know it.

I can guarantee that no more than an hour of running that fan, the peltier would've burned out. 

They can power small devices like in the vid. At a guess I'd say about USB power at most, so a weak phone charge or similar. 

You could probably boil a cup of water if you had the required equipment to keep the temps stable, but you'd be looking at a considerable amount of time for it to boil.

To be perfectly frank, you'd be better off with a solar panel and a rechargeable battery for darkness.

banlol.png