I'm buying guns

McNasty

Hey look, McNasty started a thread!

Fuck you.

Anyway....I have finally convinced my wife that I need to buy some guns and other assorted SHTF type stuff.  I've wanted these things for a very long time, but was something I've had to slowly sell my wife on as weapons have always been scary for her.  I got her to watch about 20 minutes of this History Channel show where they followed the life of a family after a disease outbreak.  It showed how quickly the world got fucked up and what life would be like day 1,5,10,30,60, 1 yr, 2 yr, etc after the outbreak. - so I looked at her and said - this is why we need to buy some damn guns because if we don't have any weapons we'd be nothing but cattle.  She actually agreed!  Sweet.....now I get to buy guns.

Before we get to far into this, I want to say up front that I am still not on the same page as others around here in that we're facing some sort of imminent destruction.  That being said, I think it's awesome to spend the money on cool shit that would be very helpful if that ever came true.  A rapidly spreading disease, solar flares, earthquakes, etc ...... I think nature is going to fuck us up before we get the chance to do it to ourselves.  Anywho.......I need some help.  I've been spending a lot of money on stupid shit this past year, and now I want to spend it on cool shit instead!

Spectre you posted an awesome list of the stuff you have in your bug-out bags on the old forum - do you still have that list?

Now I'm not planning on going on a spending spree and buying all this shit at once.  I'd just like to get an idea of what are the most important things I could buy now, and how I should build this stuff out over time.  Definitely first is getting some guns.  I've been to shooting ranges probably 30 times or so.  I'm very comfortable handling a gun.  I, however, do not know very much about guns.  I want to get probably 3 handguns and a rifle.

For the handguns I'm thinking 9mm, probably a sig and 2 glocks.  Why 3?  Well 1 for my wife and 2 for me so I can dual wield and go bat shit crazy on mofos when they jump me.  Ok kidding, the 3rd in case something happens with 1 of the other guns.  I was thinking 9mm because it seems to be the most common and finding ammo would be easier.  All the stuff I've read on 9mm vs .40 vs .45 all seems trivial.  It's not like I'm Jack Bauer or anything.  Does this seem to be the way to go?

Where should I buy it?  There are plenty of gun stores here but I have no idea what a good price is.  Can you still buy extended mags?  How do I figure out what modifications would make sense for the gun?  Where do you guys learn all this stuff?

For the rifle I'm thinking an AR-15 but for now, let's just start this conversation with the handguns and we'll get to other stuff later.  Help McNasty get armed up.

I am a normal person.

You? Normal? Fuck off.

As the old saying goes, guns don't hurt people, people hurt people. As long as you're not an irresponsible twat I don't see a problem with it.

Shotgun. Get a big fuck off 12 gauge with flechettes and a flame thrower. Maybe a desert eagle for the mobility.

banlol.png

I second the idea to get a glock(s) I have a model 22 a love it! Of course I'm really biased...the only handguns I've shot a lot are a .40 and 9mm glock, and a .45 1911.

For buying glocks, police trade in's are really cheap, in the $300-$500 range, they almost always work perfect, just have slide wear from holsters. Hi cap mags are legal in my state...no idea if it's the case in other states though.

I know next to nothing about ar-15's but they are fun to shoot! Post pics when you buy your guns.

Dude you're from Georgia and don't own a gun? :)

Have a look at the Springfield XD. Very good gun. Also the S&W MP. Personally I don't like Glocks. Sigs are really good guns too. I sold guns for nearly 10 years,so I've had a lot of experience in dealing with them.

What about a shot gun? Easy to use and pretty cheap to start off. Remington 870 home defence is a great gun. Comes with a extended shell tube for around $300

Look up Palmetto State Armory. They carry a huge selection of firearms they run a lot of specials. A buddy of mine bought a AR15 from there and got a free .22 LR a few months back.

Bringing my new pump 12ga to a friends Christmas party tomorrow. Test it out for the first time... I :wub: guns and 12ga's. :lol:

That doesn't quite sound right in this day and age. Should we call the cops?

Screw ammunition, once the tea runs out I won't be able to function anyway

Just boil some leaves. That's all tea is anyways

Hey, just in time, I was actually going to put together a Prepping thread to include everything I've learned over the past 5 years.  I have discovered a lot of things, some useful, some in the "cool" category and also figured out what is worthless.  I'll be working on it tomorrow so look out for that.

As for guns, I recommend getting a handgun that is the same caliber as what your police force uses.  Reason being, if SHTF, there will be plenty of ammunition that you can scavenge to use. 

You definitley need a shotgun. You should probably have a short close quarters barrel for home invasions and a hunting barrel.  Ammo is expensive. When I bought mine, it was $1 per round. So worth it in my opinion.

You're gonna need an "Assault Rifle", my choice is a AK-47. It works in the dirt and its cheap.  More than one is always nice.  I recommend buying bulk ammo by wolf 7.62. Last time I checked, it was $250 per 1000. Who knows what it is now. When I first started prepping it was only $99 per 1000. The good 'ol days are gone on that front. Glad I stocked up.

Also, a .22 hunting rifle. If you want to get small game, you can, but also, pointing it at someone, the person isn't going to know what it is and even then, at least you still have that "show of force". Ammo is cheap as hell too. Buy in bulk, 10K rounds.

That leads me into getting an Airsoft Rifle for also hunting small game and birds. They are strong enough to kill them, cheap and quiet.

This pretty much rounds out the majority of situations you might have to encounter in a SHTF scenario.

Keep calm and question nothing.

Dude you're from Georgia and don't own a gun? :)

Have a look at the Springfield XD. Very good gun. Also the S&W MP. Personally I don't like Glocks. Sigs are really good guns too. I sold guns for nearly 10 years,so I've had a lot of experience in dealing with them.

What about a shot gun? Easy to use and pretty cheap to start off. Remington 870 home defence is a great gun. Comes with a extended shell tube for around $300

Look up Palmetto State Armory. They carry a huge selection of firearms they run a lot of specials. A buddy of mine bought a AR15 from there and got a free .22 LR a few months back.

What is it about glocks that you don't like?  What guns would be easiest to keep clean?

I looked at those 2 and the XD looks really small.  Seems with such a short barrel that it would be hard to shoot well.  Are handguns mostly about preference and look.....as in functionally they all don't have much of a difference between them?

One thing I have heard about glocks, is the magazine's are plastic, so they wear out eventually. I'm not sure if there is an option or after market that remedies this.   A guy I went shooting with, told me about it and showed me how it was messed up at the top after lots of use.

Keep calm and question nothing.

What is it about glocks that you don't like? What guns would be easiest to keep clean?

I looked at those 2 and the XD looks really small. Seems with such a short barrel that it would be hard to shoot well. Are handguns mostly about preference and look.....as in functionally they all don't have much of a difference between them?

Glocks are very good guns. Its a preference thing. I've shot several Glocks and all perform great. They are easy to use and clean. I just don't like the feel,its all preference.

Most are similar as far tearing apart for cleaning. Nothing to complicated.

The Springfield comes in different lengths. Not sure off the top of my head.

Have you thought about revolver for your wife? Very simple to use. Easy to clean. Plus you can get a .357 thatwill shoot .38+P bullets.

Look for a gun shop around you that has a firing range that let's you tryout guns before you buy. There should be several around. Think we have four around here. Like I said Palmetto State Aromry is one I would check out

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms.html

I didn't have time to read all the replys, so if I repeat someone's post, I apologize.

If you are going to buy three I would suggest 1 be a revolver. They are much easier to maintain. Perhaps for your wife.

Springfield xd line is very good for the money. Sigs are awesome but pricy.

You can't beat a shotgun for home defense, ease of use and you don't have to be all that accurate with a scatter gun. Lol I have a mossberg 12g and it works great. They are cheap and perform well.

That's my 2 cents.

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

I didn't have time to read all the replys, so if I repeat someone's post, I apologize. If you are going to buy three I would suggest 1 be a revolver. They are much easier to maintain. Perhaps for your wife. Springfield xd line is very good for the money. Sigs are awesome but pricy. You can't beat a shotgun for home defense, ease of use and you don't have to be all that accurate with a scatter gun. Lol I have a mossberg 12g and it works great. They are cheap and perform well. That's my 2 cents.

Same thing I said.

If you're new to guns, don't start out with two different systems.  There is no reason to buy a Sig and Glocks.  Pick one.  The grip angle is different, the sights are different, the trigger is completely different, maintenance is different, breakdown is different, etc. etc.  Why learn two systems to do the same thing?  Learn one system.  Then there's logisitics.  Sig magazines don't fit in a Glock and vice versa.  If you stick with one, parts interchange, magazine interchange, you only need one holster, etc. etc.

Hardware is about 20% of the equation.  The shooter is the other 80%.  Don't get so wrapped up in the toys that you don't budget for training, practice, and more training and practice.

If at all possible, go to a rental range, take a basic handgun course, and then rent several different styles of handguns.  See what fits your hand.  See what fits your wife's hand.  See what's instinctive to point.  See what type of trigger system you prefer, etc.

I had a pretty detailed thread on selecting a firearm, ammunition, etc on the old forum.  I think Jsin salvaged most of it.  http://forevergaming.co.uk/index.php/topic/122-docs-firearms-thread/

Just read that entire guns thread.....and that's excactly what I was looking for Doc.  Good man

Next step seems to be that I need to hit the range and see what gun feels the best for me, and then make slight modifications as needed later.  I was originally thinking of buying 2 different guns because it seems like it's going to take a long time to figure out what I really like.  Sort of like golf clubs.  I can hit the range and do well with a certain set of clubs, but you can never know unless you use them a LOT.  One day I hit straight as an arrow, the next day I suck.  Figured it's probably pretty similar with guns until you get to know what works for you.  If I just buy one kind now, I doubt I'll ever get around to trying out other guns.  And I'd buy different manufacturers but same caliber.  I totally agree with what you're saying about getting to know one particular gun in and out, and interchangeability of parts if needed....that makes sense.

It's also interesting to know that the specific type of ammo actually makes a difference.  I figured it was all gun....  

So +P and hollow point is considered a must yeah?  I need to read up on reloading - seems thats what all the gun guys do but I don't know anything about it....

To the interwebz....

It's also interesting to know that the specific type of ammo actually makes a difference. I figured it was all gun....

So +P and hollow point is considered a must yeah? I need to read up on reloading - seems thats what all the gun guys do but I don't know anything about it....

To the interwebz....

+P is more important in shorter barrels. It's less relevant in duty sized guns. HP is the usual choice for duty calibers like 9mm to reduce over penetration and increase tissue damage. Reloading is fun and can save money but I only carry factory ammo for self defense due to reliability.

*stupid autocorrect.