I'm a complete newb when it comes to online shopping.  I don't even have an Amazon account.  However, my wife does, and we are looking to replace the power cord on an old laptop.  A Sony VAIO.  Some deals seem too good to be true, but I don't know what I'm looking for...

What's up with these: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A1NSPW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BJM5K0V3KXP1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MT3FR8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DXO2O1MQQUG

One costs $22 and the other is $8.  They look like the same thing to me.  Am I missing something?  

Help, please... 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

The cheap one will catch fire. I'm not joking either, there are thousands of reports of them overheating and combusting. I still don#t understand how, in 2013, in a world where Marijuana is considered dangerous, stuff like this is allowed to exist.

Clicky.

banlol.png

I shop on Amazon all the time. You get what you pay for. A $1 cord does sound too good to be true. Plus... there aren't that many reviews. Those 6 reviews could be by friends of the seller for all you know. I will always go for something with a lot of good reviews, not just a few. Especially if they aren't shipped from the amazon warehouse.

tumblr_m2ienvKRMM1qfbvj1.gif

Be careful when looking at cheap products too because there is ALOT of cheap crap on the Internet coming out of China. Most of the time the sellers do their best to hide this.

Stay away from eBay... Just out of principle.

I fucking hate eBay.

wiredollsig.jpg

I don't mind ebay. I used to buy/sell a lot of stuff on there back when it was at it's height.

I used to sell a lot on eBay too, but I got tired of all eBays bullshit and getting ass-raped with fees.

Amazon is a good place to buy but like I say, make sure you know where your product is coming from.

wiredollsig.jpg

Thanks, Mike.  

My wife's laptop has a lot of her personal memories on it.  Poems, pictures, things from college, etc.   Our dog chewed the cord in half a few years ago.  It's just been sitting in our basement.  I'd like to get it up and running for her as a little surprise.  It's a Sony VAIO, but I don't know what to look for specifically when I'm looking a quality/affordable power cord.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

You should do a search of the specific model number of the laptop on Amazon and make sure the listing shows your model number. As long as its got that you should be fine.

Post up the number here.

wiredollsig.jpg

You can also buy a multi charger and keep it forever. It'll be a bit more expensive, but it'll fit almost anything, so if you ever need it again, you won't have to spend more cash getting another specific one. 

banlol.png

The cheap one will catch fire. I'm not joking either, there are thousands of reports of them overheating and combusting. I still don#t understand how, in 2013, in a world where Marijuana is considered dangerous, stuff like this is allowed to exist.

Clicky.

I completely agree, i use Amazon quite a lot and if i buy any electrical items i always check the ones with the most reviews, the saying " you get what you pay for " is usually correct in this instance.

Wapentake3_zpsadd29acb.jpg

Good luck on this. If all fails maybe try contacting SONY directly.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/index.pl

I'm sure it will cost an arm and a leg but...

I'm also thinking I had a VAIO laptop my mom has still I think, It's broken I believe, I'll call her later and see if she still has the cord. It might be compatible. Probably not but its worth a try.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Don't bother contacting Sony, they'll rip you off six-love.

Just look at the voltage, amperage and plug size. The voltage has to be an exact match, the amperage can be up or down a bit (this only affects charge speed, but never go too high), and if the plug fits, it'll work.

Check out some charity shops, some have bins full of the things.

banlol.png

sony_pgc-983l_pa_zps135684f5.jpg

The top image is the computer the bottom the charger.

Can you use the part number from your charger get the mm connection size and spec to see if they're the same or similar? I just searched PCGA-AC19V1 and was able to find an OEM one. If it seems compatible I can send it to you to see if it works...

I don't think she has the cord/charger  at all anymore.  I'll ask her when she wakes up (she worked last night).  I really appreciate your help, our wedding pictures are saved on there.  :\  

Where can I get the mm connection size?  It says, 19.5v but not the 3A part.  

I don't think she has the cord/charger  at all anymore.  I'll ask her when she wakes up (she worked last night).  I really appreciate your help, our wedding pictures are saved on there.  :\  

Where can I get the mm connection size?  It says, 19.5v but not the 3A part.  

If you have the part number for the charger you can search for it. The spec will be included in the description information like in the link I posted for the charger I have. From what I can tell from the 3rd party replacements for your PC they are the same. Having your chargers part number would zero it in.

1/2 of me wants to just ask for your physical address to send you the charger but I really don't want it to burn your computer up if its not compatible. :(

If you have the part number for the charger you can search for it. The spec will be included in the description information like in the link I posted for the charger I have. From what I can tell from the 3rd party replacements for your PC they are the same. Having your chargers part number would zero it in.

1/2 of me wants to just ask for your physical address to send you the charger but I really don't want it to burn your computer up if its not compatible. :(

I got the charger in the mail today.  I was able to get the laptop to turn on, charge, and transferred the pictures to my PC.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!  

I don't know how much we will be using the laptop, but I'm very appreciative of you helping us out.  Those pictures mean a lot to us.  

Now I'm going to reformat the laptop and see how it runs.  Maybe play some LoL on it, hahaha.