Comic Book Movie News

spectre

Todd McFarlane Says New ‘Spawn’ Movie Will Be Horror Could Shoot Next Year

Last year, Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane celebrated the 20th anniversary of Spawn, a milestone that rekindled questions about the character’s potential return to theaters. He made his big-screen debut in 1997, in an action film that starred Michael Jai White and John Leguizamo, which grossed more than $87 million for New Line Cinema.

“The reality is that I’ve got a lot of pressure,” McFarlane told The Gate over the weekend at Fan Expo Canada. “They want me to deliver the script by the end of the year, which would basically mean we’d be shooting next year. So, that’s the goal right now.

“The thing that keeps slowing it down is that the negotiation I’ve done is I write, produce, direct, but I’ve got to push a lot of my other endeavors off to the side so I can just get tunnel vision on it. And so everybody at my company is now going, ‘We’ve got to find Todd the time to finish all this.’”

McFarlane explained he sees the project as a 60- to 70-day shoot. “I think it’s a quickicon1.png shoot. It’s not going to be a giant budget with a lot of special effects, it’s going to be more of a horror movie and a thriller movie, not a superhero one,” he said. “I’ve got so many people phoning now that I’ve got to get it done. I’ve made some promises to people this year.”

He also spoke generally about recent comments by actors like Jamie Foxx, who said he’s “aggressively pursuing” the role of Spawn.

“You know what, we’ve had some big names – like who you’re mentioning – come to the office and go ‘We want to be in it,’” McFarlane said. “Sometimes they give me their pitch, I give them my pitch, I go, ‘We can get in it, this is how it goes,’ and so those types of actors–Academy Award guys – they’re going, ‘As soon as that scripts done, we’re going.’ So once we get this thing done, we’ll get it off the ground with some big names.”

Keep calm and question nothing.

I started reading Spawn at issue #18 and followed it all the way to issue #100.  I jumped off but went back a couple of years ago and finished my collection. Its currently on issue #227 or some shit but I lost interest.  Its past its peak. Although it will be interesting to see a movie set in this universe with Al Simmons again.

The first movie left a ton to be desired. I'd love it if they did another animated movie like the HBO series but maybe all CGI. Also I'd prefer the new movie be about something other than the origin of Spawn which is all thats ever been done. Something that shows new powers, enemies, etc... I'm excited to see what comes out of this.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

If his vision is anything like what he did to the comic, I have my reservations. He has stated in interviews that he wants Spawn to be kind of an "urban legend" lurking in the shadows. Hence, the Horror angle. I'll give it a shot but I'm not really that hopeful.  The first movie was pg-13, that's where its problems came from.  Looks like this will be a proper rated R. 

I agree, the HBO series was spot on.

I'll +1 Jamie Foxx being a terrible choice. Al Simmons is a bad ass soldier/assassin, I get I could play Spawn in the suit but, Jamie wouldn't be convincing in the flash backs with Al. He's goofy IMO. Even his serious straight delivered lines have a hint of not being serious. He was good in Ray but I'd rather see LL Cool J do it. :ph34r:

I nominate "The Rock" lol - maybe he's not "black" enough though.

Nice! They can do what they did to Ice T in Surviving the Game. Paint his face darker :lol:

Hell they wouldn't need to make a suit just paint a polyester leotard and let his physique take car of the rest. I think you're on to something! Either way the dude has to be very fit. My buddy used to work with the dude who posed (3D scanner) for Spawn 9 and other toys. He's a body builder. Not Jamie Foxx :P

series29_spawn9_photo_06_dp.jpg

Damon: Affleck Will Be ‘Great’ as Batman, But ‘It’s Safe to Say I Won’t Be Robin’

Matt-Damon-570x379.jpg

Matt Damon doesn’t understand all the nerdrage about the casting of his longtime friend Ben Affleck as Batman in Warner Bros.’ sequel to the Man of Steel.

“I think it will be great,” the actor told The Times of India while touring the facilities of Water.org, the organization he co-founded. “It will be terrific. I know there are a lot of people grousing on the internet. I just think it’s kind of funny. You know, he’s not playing King Lear. It’s Batman! Certainly within his skill set. If anybody saw Argo or The Town, and all the work he’s been doing lately, it’s way more nuanced and interesting and way more difficult than Batman! Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people. Bruce Wayne is the more challenging part of the role, and Ben will be great at that.”

batfleck-and-damon-300x222.jpg

Although photos have circulated online humorously depicting Damon as Robin alongside Affleck’s Batman, the actor laughed off any suggestion he might suit up with his Good Will Hunting collaborator.

“I am a little older than Ben,” Damon pointed out. “I never saw Robin as older than Batman. Somebody sent me a picture actually [of my face Photoshopped on Robin's body and Ben's on Batman's]. It was really funny. But it’s safeicon1.png to say I won’t be Robin.”

He also talked about The Bourne Legacy, the Universal Pictures franchise spinoff starring Jeremy Renner, saying he holds no ill will against the movie or those involved.

“They were just trying to revitalize that franchise and I didn’t mind at all,” he said. “It didn’t have anything to do with the movie that I made. It makes sense for a studio to keep those franchises as alive as they can, it makes business sense for them. I don’t begrudge anybody that. I am a huge fan of Jeremy. I don’t equate my Bourne movie with his. He didn’t play the part of Jason Bourne. It’s a totally different thing.”

Lol Nerd Rage.

Thank God Damon is out. That would really have fucked things up. Although, I'm starting to come around on Affleck. He was good in the Town.  I tried to re-watch Daredevil. It's beyond a failure. Colin Farrell is in it as Bullseye. He has a bullseye on his forehead for no apparent reason. There is a scene where he's standing on his motorcycle as its driving itself and he's throwing chinese stars.  Just over the top ridiculous. And poor Jennifer Garner, who had to go and make a spinoff of this movie; probably contractual.

Ultron is an Artificial Intelligence that hates humanity for inventing him.  Hank Pym aka Ant Man invents him in the comic but Iron Man will most likely be the cause here. Have you watched Iron Man 3 yet? They have already planted seeds for Ultron coming in that movie.

check this too