New 240g tank build

Drifter

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got a bit more done over the past day or two. Now that the wall is down I was faced with the ugly perforated board ceiling that was left in the one section of the shop. So got all that ripped down and started staining the boards to continue the wood ceiling so it is all uniform from one end of the room to the other. Still have more of that to do but got a start on it now. Also started on painting the back wall to match the rest of the walls. Still a ton to do but go a decent start on it at least.

bOwiGM.jpg
 taEOTn.jpg
 5RAN89.jpg
 0GViUk.jpg

Another full day of work in the books. I must be getting old because these projects wear me out more than they use too that's for sure. Most of the walls painted and some things moved around just to see a basic idea of where I want everything. With my OCD I must have moved every bit of furniture 10 times tonight. It'll all have to be moved out again soon when I start working on the floor. Originally I had planned to do the dual 20g xtra high side tanks with waterfall(sandfalls) in them on each side of the main tank (you can see the one tank on the left of the main one in the pic below). Now I am thinking I may decide to do them built into the stand itself under the main tank to save a little room. Last thing I want is for the room to look cramped, I want it to be open and free flowing so gonna have to play around with the idea of where I plan to put those two tanks still.

5H0qTb.jpg

Ever seen the movie the Money pit? I can't help but think of it with this aquarium project

Remodel the entire home to put the aquarium in :)

It looks great btw, but kind of ironic to have to do so much work to put a 240g aquarium in.  

Anyways looks like fun when you got the skills. 

Don't really have to do all this just to use the tank, but it's just my nature of how I am :) I've always been a very OCD type person and when I get into something I like to try to have the best looking (insert blank) out there. So I never have been one to just be able to get a tank put it on a stand and stick fish in it like most people. My OCD takes over and I end up going all out then, it's gotten worse as I get older. It's a good and bad thing though. Good in the fact that I end up with something really nice looking, but bad in the fact that it ends up taking a lot of work and money. I do enjoy it. I find when I am working on an in depth project like this is when I feel at my happiest. Once it's done I'll enjoy it, but I will also be somewhat sad that I don't have a project to work on and will have to then find something else to focus on most likely.

That's in the section of the room not in the picture (just to the right & behind) that's where the 54" TV & PS4 are at. That was one of the reasons I tore the wall down actually, because I wanted to be able to enjoy the new huge tank while I was watching tv/gaming and such :)

Still a lot to do such as more painting, finish the ceiling, finish the trout wall border between the two colors on the wall, trim work, new light for the troph tank, and not even to mention the actual work on the 240g tank like building the stand and 3d background and all that. With that said though, definite PROGRESS over the past few days of burning the midnight oil. The basement shop/office has been an ever evolving thing over the past 12 yrs, but I think I like this version and the openness of it now that I torn the wall down the best.

N7hbW4.jpg
 R8HBeL.jpg
 rEkRPu.jpg
 ds7gtv.jpg
 MLhCJG.jpg
 XYspVe.jpg
 Yeg9Uf.jpg
 6Yak3U.jpg

Well got about 6 hours into the stand build for the 240g tonight. Still have a lot to do to it such as add center uprights and then doubling up 2x4's in between the upper & lowers sections etc etc. Building it so the vertical posts are supporting the weight and no weight on fasteners and such. About halfway there so far with it.
 uLJnQv.jpg
 yQ4S1d.jpg

Just catching up on this project. Looks like its coming along nicely! Is that glass tank on the bottom gonna be some kind of sump filter or something? Imagine it takes a larger gph  filtration system for such a large tank. 

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

Plan on skinning the whole stand framework with 1/4" oak cabinet grade sheeting and then staining it so that it has a nice furniture grade look to it when done. 

Jay I'm filtering this big guy with a pair of Fluval FX5's. The small 20g xtra tall tank below is actually going to be a visual "addition" to the main display tank. I'm going to do a 3d background and a sand waterfall in that tank where it looks like a waterfall coming off the top of a mountain .

8 hours ago, Drifter said:

Plan on skinning the whole stand framework with 1/4" oak cabinet grade sheeting and then staining it so that it has a nice furniture grade look to it when done. 

Jay I'm filtering this big guy with a pair of Fluval FX5's. The small 20g xtra tall tank below is actually going to be a visual "addition" to the main display tank. I'm going to do a 3d background and a sand waterfall in that tank where it looks like a waterfall coming off the top of a mountain .

That sounds bad ass.  

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

Well came home today after dropping off some stuff at the local fish club auction and started right onto working on the background for the 240g build. I can say for sure that this background project will in fact be the death of me! lol. I'm doing it a bit different than any of the others I have done before. Making the rocks stick out anywhere from 1-2" all the way out to some full 6" thick rocks to really give it some nice 3d feel to the background. Adding some caves which I plan to back-light with blue cold cathode lights the way I did one of my tanks a few years ago. Also plan to do a full stalactite probably over to the left side. Having to carve the really thick 6" foam sections is much more time consuming than than any of the other background I have done before. I have a solid 10hrs of work into just what you see here today. And that's maybe what 15% done? uhg. I'm thinking I'll have around 100 hours into this one by the time it's all carved painted and sealed. Should be worth it though when done :)

U0HR1c.jpg

8M9Bt8.jpg

T4RxLx.jpg