Internet issue

McNasty

My home PC is directly connected to the router.  Everything else in the house is wireless.  I can run speedtest.com for all my other devices and get about the same result depending on where I am in the house.

For the home PC, I have to reset the computer after a few hours to get the speed back up and I have no idea what's causing the issue.  As soon as the computer restarts, internet is right where it should be around 90mbps.  I don't know how long it takes before the speed starts to drop I haven't really tested it before but it does take a while before I start to notice.  It's been on all day, so right now it's at around 3mbps.  Any idea why this might be happening?  If I reset the router or modem it doesn't fix the issue.  If I pull the cable and put it into another port it doesn't fix the issue.  I have pretty much brand new equipment - Netgear Nighthawk router with Arris surfboard 3.0 modem.  None of my other devices have this issue just the hard wired home PC.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try to clean temp and prefetch folder? If not, then try the following steps:

1. Open your browser and clean all cache and temp files.

2. Go to Start->Run. Type "prefetch" and press enter. It will open a folder. Delete all files within it.

3. Go to Start->Run. Type "%temp%" and press enter. It will open a folder. Delete all files within it.

Restart your computer and try again.

banlol.png

My home PC is directly connected to the router.  Everything else in the house is wireless.  I can run speedtest.com for all my other devices and get about the same result depending on where I am in the house.

For the home PC, I have to reset the computer after a few hours to get the speed back up and I have no idea what's causing the issue.  As soon as the computer restarts, internet is right where it should be around 90mbps.  I don't know how long it takes before the speed starts to drop I haven't really tested it before but it does take a while before I start to notice.  It's been on all day, so right now it's at around 3mbps.  Any idea why this might be happening?  If I reset the router or modem it doesn't fix the issue.  If I pull the cable and put it into another port it doesn't fix the issue.  I have pretty much brand new equipment - Netgear Nighthawk router with Arris surfboard 3.0 modem.  None of my other devices have this issue just the hard wired home PC.

Could the computer be uploading or upgrading something? You test bandwidth will go down if the computer is already downloading or doing something that is resource intensive.

Do you know how to look at the resource manager (ctl-alt-del) and see what process are running and what is using up memory?

Because you said that reset the router and disconnecting the computer has no effect, I beleive the issue is something that is running on the computer that is slowing it down. Also since wireless is running consistent, it's not the quality of you connection to the outside world