Cockroach help

Dattebayo

Almost immediately after boasting about a good session of roach killing, I went to the kitchen ato drink water.

I flipped the light switch and boom...dozens of the bastards, everywhere. Walking over the poison unharmed even.

My heart sank...the roach spray was supposed to create a barrier that kills on contact! What kind of god damn Super Roaches do I have in this freaking house?!

I've never been one comfortable with asking for help, but any tips will be greatly appreciated.

A few things about the situation...

-A professional exterminator is out of the question. Costs aside, my sister is a homicidal maniac whose tantrums have caused nearly 1000 dollars in property damage. If the owner finds out...we're royally screwed.

-The species of roach is the German Cockroach

-The house was cockroachy before we movee in and is in a mild state of disrepair. The previous resident was a junkie who lived the rockstar life of smashing stuff. The owner repaired some of it but there is still cracks and countertops still in need of caulking.

-I come down every night at 8:00pm for proofing and 11:00pm for hunting

-I currently use Raid Roach & Ant

-We are in a very tight budget

-The problem is only in the kitchen

-there are a few of them wandering in the morning, which confirms that the nest is so big that nightime-only raids are too measely to support the brood.

DM9ON.png

One the problem isn't only in the kitchen. If they are in there they are everywhere.

They are one of the fastest reproducing cockroaches. So you probably have a infestation.

Simply put you're fucked.

'Cos that's where the food is and they're not stupid.

First off, sort your sister out. Honestly, I had someone like that in a house share once, he used to kick holes in the plasterboard everytime he lost his cool, until one day I stuck his face through the plaster and broke his nose. He never did it again. That behaviour is unacceptable.

Secondly, and unless this problem was inherited from a previous tenant, clean your house. If you've got "dozens" in there, it means that you also have the food to feed them. No food, no roaches.

Man, if I was your landlord and I found out my house was in this state, you'd be out the same day, no questions asked.

banlol.png

The roaches were already there when we moved in.

We keep a clean house, we clean after ourselves...yet there they are.

We even keep our stuff in ziploc bags.

/My sister is a touchy subject. I get chewed out for lecturing her and she takes advantage of it.

There isn't much to do on that front.

//landlord is lazy and money grubbing btw

edit: yeah, I'm getting the feeling you think I live in a trash heap.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

DM9ON.png

If they were there before you moved in. Then the house was empty and they are still there it's definitely a infestation. Two things any bugs come in to a house for food and water. Plain and simple. I didn't say you kept a filthy house.

Diseases roaches carry

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/diseases/diseases-spread-by-cockroaches.aspx

Aeromonas spp., cause wound and other infections, diarrhea.

Alcaligenes faecalis, causes of gastroenteritis, urinary tract infections.

Bacillus cerreus, causes food poisoning.

Bacillus subtilis, causes conjunctivitis.

Campylobacter jejuni, causes enteritis.

Clostridium perfringens, causes food poisoning, gas gangrene.

Enterobacter spp., cause bacteremia (temporary presence of bacteria in the blood, which is commonly followed by the development of various infections including abscesses).

Enterococcus spp., cause urinary tract and wound infections.

Escherichia coli, causes diarrhea, wound infections.

Klebsiella spp., cause pneumonia and urinary tract infections.

Mycobacterium leprae, causes leprosy.

Morganella morganii, causes wound infections

Nocardia spp., causes actinomycetoma (chronic infection of the skin and underlying tissues).

Oligella urethralis, may cause bacteremia, septic arthritis that mimics gonococcal arthritis, and peritonitis.4

Pantoea

spp., cause wound infections.

Proteus rettgeri, causes wound infections.

Proteus vulgaris, causes wound infections.

Proteus mirabilis, causes wound infections, gastroenteritis.

Pseudomonas spp., cause respiratory infections, gastroenteritis.

Salmonella spp., cause gastroenteritis, food poisoning

Salmonella typhi, causes typhoid.

Salmonella pyogenes, causes pneumonia.

Serratia spp., cause food poisoning.

Shigella dysenteriae, causes disentery

Sphyngobacterium spp., causes sepsis (presence in the blood or other tissues of pathogenic microorganisms or their toxins).

Staphylococcus aureus, causes wound infections, skin infections, infections of internal organ.

Staphylococcus epidermalis, causes wound infections.

Streptococcus faecalis and other species, cause pneumonia.

Yersinia pestis (isolated from oriental cockroach), causes plague

Here's you a nice link to. http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/germanroach.shtml

If they were there before you moved in. Then the house was empty and they are still there it's definitely a infestation. Two things any bugs come in to a house for food and water. Plain and simple. I didn't say you kept a filthy house.

Diseases roaches carry

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/diseases/diseases-spread-by-cockroaches.aspx

Aeromonas spp., cause wound and other infections, diarrhea.

Alcaligenes faecalis, causes of gastroenteritis, urinary tract infections.

Bacillus cerreus, causes food poisoning.

Bacillus subtilis, causes conjunctivitis.

Campylobacter jejuni, causes enteritis.

Clostridium perfringens, causes food poisoning, gas gangrene.

Enterobacter spp., cause bacteremia (temporary presence of bacteria in the blood, which is commonly followed by the development of various infections including abscesses).

Enterococcus spp., cause urinary tract and wound infections.

Escherichia coli, causes diarrhea, wound infections.

Klebsiella spp., cause pneumonia and urinary tract infections.

Mycobacterium leprae, causes leprosy.

Morganella morganii, causes wound infections

Nocardia spp., causes actinomycetoma (chronic infection of the skin and underlying tissues).

Oligella urethralis, may cause bacteremia, septic arthritis that mimics gonococcal arthritis, and peritonitis.4

Pantoea

spp., cause wound infections.

Proteus rettgeri, causes wound infections.

Proteus vulgaris, causes wound infections.

Proteus mirabilis, causes wound infections, gastroenteritis.

Pseudomonas spp., cause respiratory infections, gastroenteritis.

Salmonella spp., cause gastroenteritis, food poisoning

Salmonella typhi, causes typhoid.

Salmonella pyogenes, causes pneumonia.

Serratia spp., cause food poisoning.

Shigella dysenteriae, causes disentery

Sphyngobacterium spp., causes sepsis (presence in the blood or other tissues of pathogenic microorganisms or their toxins).

Staphylococcus aureus, causes wound infections, skin infections, infections of internal organ.

Staphylococcus epidermalis, causes wound infections.

Streptococcus faecalis and other species, cause pneumonia.

Yersinia pestis (isolated from oriental cockroach), causes plague

Here's you a nice link to. http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/germanroach.shtml

Oh, that was directd at Diddums.

---

Crike, even more reason to get rid of them.

Thanks a bunch for that link. Turns out I was doing several things wrong in the roach-killing department.

I pick up my last paycheck on Monday, I'll buy a vast arsenal of the affromented things (powder, traps, etc.) with it.

Again, thanks.

DM9ON.png

15 years ago, we had neighbors move in. Shortly after, they had roaches (so bad that they were on the outside of the house at night) and of course, they rover, rover, came on over.  I can't remember exactly what we did, but I do know you have to keep at it because the bombs don't kill the eggs.  You should probably pull all appliances out and scrub down everything. Even if you keep clean, there could be food particles down in the crevices that you don't know about. Even grease is yummy to them. Once you have everything sterile, keep bombing and raiding. Eventually, you'll kill them off and will have left them no option for staying.

Keep calm and question nothing.

Sorry that came off as a bit harsh. What I meant was that breadcrumbs and shit will attract them, it's good practice to keep your house as clean as possible for many reasons, this being one of them.

As for getting rid of them, fuck knows. You can kill them, but they'll breed faster than you can. If you've got an infestation, it'll take months and months of proper treatment to sort it out. This will cost a FUCKTONNE of money.

If I were in your shoes, I'd clean the place up as much as I can, spend the cash you were going to spend on roaches on getting the damage your sister caused fixed (do it yourself, ask for advice here if you need it, holes in walls are easily fixed) and then get your landlord to sort it out.

If he doesn't, take photos of your living conditions, show him the photos and tell him that you're going to send them to your council's health and wellbeing department and watch how quick it gets sorted. He can get into massive trouble for that.

Don't tackle the cockroaches, that's a side effect of not being able to call your landlord. Solution: call your landlord. For this, you'll have to sort the damage first.

banlol.png

15 years ago, we had neighbors move in. Shortly after, they had roaches (so bad that they were on the outside of the house at night) and of course, they rover, rover, came on over.  I can't remember exactly what we did, but I do know you have to keep at it because the bombs don't kill the eggs.  You should probably pull all appliances out and scrub down everything. Even if you keep clean, there could be food particles down in the crevices that you don't know about. Even grease is yummy to them. Once you have everything sterile, keep bombing and raiding. Eventually, you'll kill them off and will have left them no option for staying.

A 2- stage plan...seems easy enough.

Easy enough for roaches, anyway.

Is there an ingredient soap that repels roaches?

I've heard the residue of bleach and boron-based cleaning fluids can kill them when they walk over treated surfaces, but Im not sure

Sorry that came off as a bit harsh. What I meant was that breadcrumbs and shit will attract them, it's good practice to keep your house as clean as possible for many reasons, this being one of them.

As for getting rid of them, fuck knows. You can kill them, but they'll breed faster than you can. If you've got an infestation, it'll take months and months of proper treatment to sort it out. This will cost a FUCKTONNE of money.

If I were in your shoes, I'd clean the place up as much as I can, spend the cash you were going to spend on roaches on getting the damage your sister caused fixed (do it yourself, ask for advice here if you need it, holes in walls are easily fixed) and then get your landlord to sort it out.

If he doesn't, take photos of your living conditions, show him the photos and tell him that you're going to send them to your council's health and wellbeing department and watch how quick it gets sorted. He can get into massive trouble for that.

Don't tackle the cockroaches, that's a side effect of not being able to call your landlord. Solution: call your landlord. For this, you'll have to sort the damage first.

F*ck it, I'll buck up and call him.

If he tries to give us sh*t for the damage, we'll give h

im sht for the cracks and overall disrepair we moved in on.

For now, I'll just make my own trap and bait until everyone comes to an agreement.

---

Thanks guys.

DM9ON.png

I do know that diacatemous earth (make need to check spelling) kills insects by dehydrating them. I'm not sure if it effects roaches, but you could spread it across all entranceways and behind all appliances.

Oooo...

I just read up on it, seems like just what I need...

How would one go about aquiring some?

DM9ON.png

You need to find a way to kill the eggs and the females laying the eggs. Killing the roaches that you see is only a temporary measure since they  multiply so well. Also see if you can determine an entry point. If they are getting into the house from somewhere outside then will figure out how to get in again after you kill the ones are are already there.

So sort of vaporizer is probably needed so that you can spray in corners and cracks and hard to reach places. I have no idea what product you can use. 

I'm pretty sure it's the landlord responsibility and he probably does not want the roaches there either. If he does not have to get rid of them for you, he'll have to get rid of them for the next person. It also makes renting out a place more difficult if it is known to have roaches (around here it is anyways). 

Anyway good luck

I would try Lowe's or Home Depot, but make sure that it will work for cockroaches first. It should be really cheap too.

mlfw2597-tumblr_ltdjzpe1sC1qjr6eb.gif

Those roach's asses are grass!

You need to find a way to kill the eggs and the females laying the eggs. Killing the roaches that you see is only a temporary measure since they  multiply so well. Also see if you can determine an entry point. If they are getting into the house from somewhere outside then will figure out how to get in again after you kill the ones are are already there.

So sort of vaporizer is probably needed so that you can spray in corners and cracks and hard to reach places. I have no idea what product you can use. 

I'm pretty sure it's the landlord responsibility and he probably does not want the roaches there either. If he does not have to get rid of them for you, he'll have to get rid of them for the next person. It also makes renting out a place more difficult if it is known to have roaches (around here it is anyways). 

Anyway good luck

The bastards are illusive, I'll give them that.

I have a few guesses of where they might be, but they dont scurry out when I spray it down.

Against my better judgement, I'll have to avoid killing a few and track their movement.

DM9ON.png

I thought you got a job and moved out? Why put up with your crazy sister?

I got a job and attempted to move out, but I had to keep dipping into my fund to help keep eveveryone afloat.

Recently, I got fired because the guy I was replacing came back.

So now...back to square one.

DM9ON.png

Seems like no matter what you do, everyone else around you is going to take your money and you'll never be free.  If you're cool with that, then by all means its your decision.  At your age it is not your responsibility to take care of people who dont want to take care of themselves, and will never change.  If you want a better life, you need to move out and move on.  There are plenty of jobs that you could find that pay enough for you to take care of yourself in your own apartment.  Maybe you need to move far away and make a life for yourself.  It is YOUR life, after all.

It's a sand trap, really...

The average 1 bedroom apartment here is 900-1000 bucks (CA is an expensive place to live), so I would have to find a job and save up measly paycheck by measly paycheck while living at this house.

But I was never one to deny a request for help, if my mom needs rent money or groceries or etc., I'll sacrifice whatever I have saved up to keep our heads above the water.

With my mom possibly having cancer, it's only going to get worse as I have to take care of everything if she gets treatment.

And Its not that I WANT to stay...its that I have an instilled need to help everyone no matter the cost.

You know what they say...

Needs of the many>Needs of the few

DM9ON.png