Destiny & Updates, an analogy

The3rdWalker

"The problem seems to be that when they make a change and it backfires, rather than undo the change, they find all these other variables to alter in hopes that everything just aligns. Like, imagine Bungie had a sprinkler for their lawn, and in an effort to water more of their lawn with the 1 sprinkler, they move the sprinkler. Turns out, less of the lawn is getting water. Rather than move the sprinkler back, or somewhere in between the first two places, Bungie starts investigating into Water pressure, hose girth, and the angle of the arc of water. Just move the damn sprinkler back."

-----

Discuss? I would be okay with this junk if Bungie just admitted fault once in awhile. "Auto rifle buff didn't do anything? Uhh... A mistake? No, we didn't screw up implementing it, it's working as intended! The patch notes? Typo... The preview notes, forum posts, and tweets dating back 2 months? Typos, all typos." Just go, "There was an error in implementing the buffs in the last patch, we'll fix it in the next hotfix."

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what there is to discuss honestly.  This is pretty accurate of Bungie, and Activision for the last few years. (Since around the time of WoW: Cataclysm)

It is one of the main reasons I uninstalled the game, and unless Jsin sends me naughty Miranda/ Tali pics, won't be going back.

Fusion Rifles are a prime example of this, as are Auto Rifles, and what happened to Pistols. (And what is going to happen to pistols again soon)

EDIT: LOLZ didn't think there was anything to discuss, wrote a multi sentence response

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

If I send you naughty Tali/Miranda pics it will be to get you onto Warframe. I've played my fill of Destiny at this point. I have all the Exotics I want, I've bought all the vendor shit I want, and my light level is stuck where it's at because I refuse to grind the raid with randoms. Thing is, I'm okay with that. Being a non-subscription game and knowing there will be more titles in the series, I never expected Destiny to keep delivering new content ad infinitum. I expected to play the shit out of it, and when I got bored, to move onto something else.

Bungie dicks themselves by not communicating well, and I think it's partly because they don't even know where they want to go at times. Personally, I think they should have announced from the start that Destiny would be the base game, with two major DLC expansions, one in 6 months, one in 12 months. Those expansions would be $20-$30 dollars each. The first expansion being the combined DB and HoW. The second expansion being TTK. Thus would conclude the release of new content. The player base would wind down, but it would give people a chance to recharge and get excited for Destiny 2. They can keep emotes as a micro transaction for some added revenue during the lull between games.

I've more than gotten my money's worth out of Destiny at this point. It's time for Bungie to focus on making Destiny 2 significantly better than D1.

Here's where the changes comes in. Bungie seems to be managing Destiny like it's Warframe. They want to keep people playing forever by releasing a steady stream of improvements and additions. The problem, their business model doesn't support that at all.

Warframe can do what it does because it's free to play, but supported by a steady revenue stream of microtransactions, in turn they release updates and new content to keep the stream going, but the key is that there is no Warframe 2. They take the constant revenue stream and extend it by constantly improving and updating their game. There is never a content drought, because they never have to stop and focus on Warframe 2.

Bungie seems to feel that they have to keep people playing Destiny 1 forever, so they keep trying to update it, but at the same time, the game isn't making them making them money anymore, so they can't update it to the extent that it needs to be updated in order to be rejuvenated. They can't fund it with microtransactions because they already charged for the game and DLC. But they keep making promises of new content, so now people expect it, but they don't want to pay for it, because they feel like they already have.

I'm just fucking rambling.

TL;DR Bungie's problem is that they're charging for their game like CoD, but trying to manage it like Warframe or WoW and it's pissing people off.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.