Starter tips!

So I'm gonna be picking this game up tomorrow after hearing nothing but good stuff about it and as I've never played any of the previous games I wonder if anyone has any tips for me when I start my "adventure".

I've heard it's somewhat similar to Skyrim in a few ways (no suprise as Bethesda made both games) and hopefully this will be true as I've got a fuckton of hours logged on Skyrim :lol:

Anyways. Any beginners tips or pointers you can give me would be wonderful!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't played on PS4, so not really sure what is different between the two, but I know there are differences.

Do not rush into quests!

Go to Concord, and help those guys out, and then come back to Sanctuary, do some stuff there, and then go back to Concord and make sure you have looted EVERYTHING

Do not go to the Corvega Auto plant until around level 10

Loot Everything! Fast Travel to drop off when inventory gets full, and then loot again. Seriously, loot everything!

NPC's have a decent range for chasing you. However, do not be afraid to run away.

Companions cannot be killed, Clear out enemies and they will auto-revive most times. (You still might need to use a Stimpak on Dogmeat, but I have never had to on Preston, Piper, or Danse)

Companions do NOT need Ammo

Remember to tell your companions to equip new gear you give them

Once you build a well or water purifier, be sure to grab water from it. Up until around level 20, this is a great way to get health back (I was still using it until around 30 to be honest)

Grenades, Mines, and Molotovs can clear out a huge area, be sure to equip them. Molotovs are great underground!

**I just restarted on Survival, and it is kicking my ass, so I am trying to think of things from Normal mode.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

So I've been exploring the area around Sanctuary so far. Got to lvl 6. At lvl 4 I found a random junkyard with a Sentry robot which I could turn on, but remembering something about someone telling me they can turn hostile I didn't do it. Instead Dogmeat starts barking while I look around and returns to me and drops A Fat Man at my feet....I was lvl 4 and jizzed my pants. Shortly after I find a 2nd power armour and then a radio station thingy where there's a raider wielding a minigun in the basement. I think I've already won this game...

Also where do I store stuff? I've yet to figure this out except for giving it to Dogmeat or Codsworth and I'm carrying a fuckton of stuff that I'd rather not drop xD

So I've been exploring the area around Sanctuary so far. Got to lvl 6. At lvl 4 I found a random junkyard with a Sentry robot which I could turn on, but remembering something about someone telling me they can turn hostile I didn't do it. Instead Dogmeat starts barking while I look around and returns to me and drops A Fat Man at my feet....I was lvl 4 and jizzed my pants. Shortly after I find a 2nd power armour and then a radio station thingy where there's a raider wielding a minigun in the basement. I think I've already won this game...

Also where do I store stuff? I've yet to figure this out except for giving it to Dogmeat or Codsworth and I'm carrying a fuckton of stuff that I'd rather not drop xD

This might sound harsh, but it isn't meant to. It will be criticism of the game though

My first playthrough I hit level 40, and was just about finished with the main story. It is one of the reasons I jumped over to survival difficulty.

You will rarely use the Fatman, if ever. Honestly, I scrap them now, the Blast radius is way to big to use and not dose yourself with huge levels of rads for what is arguably minimal damage to NPC's. The game hands them to you in the same manner it hands Power Armor

In Fallout 3, Power Armor and the Fatman, were game breaking items that changed the entire tone of the game. In this one however, they quickly become a Dime a Dozen. (Just a few days ago, I started a thread, celebrating my first Fat Man find. It is funny what a few dozen of them sitting in storage chest will do to your point of view. Not to mention burning through huge swathes of Rad-X just to be able to use them)

Before I stopped playing, I set up a Power Armor junkyard at the Drive-in. Hell, I stopped using the X-01 suit purely for the variety of it all.

Use the Fatman if you have to, I can actually think of two spots where it "might" be necessary. The Airport (BoS quest), and the Fort (Minuteman Quest). However, a good Tri-Barrell or Quad Missle Launcher is far more useful. As are Gauss Guns.

Miniguns are loads of fun, I don't use them that often though. I am a Laser Rifle sorta guy. (Gatling lasers are crappy, and require way to many perks to make useful. Stick with Miniguns if you have to choose between the two)

Storage!!!!!!!!!!

Look for Decorations -> Storage in the Settlement building.

I tend to build one for each item grouping, sort of like this:

Weapons Ranged

Weapons Melee

Armor

Food

Medicine

Mods Weapons

Mods Armor

Ammo Weapons

Grenades and Mines

There is no limit to the amount of shit you can put in a container.

Oh yea!

Huge Tip

The only real stats that seem to matter in the game are Charisma and Perception

Everything else can be gotten around using the basic game mechanics, except where Perk purchases are concerned

The game is very shallow where that is concerned

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Been playing non-stop almost for the past 8 hours xD Hit lvl 10. Mostly just been exploring and looting a ton. Gonna do the missions I need to in Diamond city then get back to Sanctuary and start working on building some stuff maybe. Not used the Fat Man yet but I've been blown to pieces by enemies using them a couple times xD

NPC in town Vendors: If you leave your containers in spots they can reach, they will steal your stuff.

You can jump whereas NPC's cannot.

Build a foundation for your house above ground. put a foundation block near the door to your place, but NOT up to it so that it connects.

Make sure the door also has to be jumped up into.

Do NOT build stairs to your new place, NPC's can no longer enter it.

Sadly this also means companions.

(Going to test the Fast Travel mat inside my house tonight. If htat keeps Companions penned in, then I win!)

I stopped playing after 8 hours 57mins xD Got Nick Valentine back andexplored a bit more before saving the game and logging off.

Gonna fast travel back to Sanctuary tomorrow and dump some stuff cause I'm carrying way too much and the vendors in Diamond City are all broke...

I'm about 39 hours in and I've not gone to Diamond City yet. I'm a bastard for leaving the main story until the end. I love side quests and exploring.

Phil's tip:

You don't need stimpacks at all. Cook all the meat from your kills. If you make mongrel stew for example (i think it's mongrel), it not only gives you back HP but also takes away rads.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'm about 39 hours in and I've not gone to Diamond City yet. I'm a bastard for leaving the main story until the end. I love side quests and exploring.

Phil's tip:

You don't need stimpacks at all. Cook all the meat from your kills. If you make mongrel stew for example (i think it's mongrel), it not only gives you back HP but also takes away rads.

Holy Crap!

I totally didnt' know this.

NPC in town Vendors: If you leave your containers in spots they can reach, they will steal your stuff.

You can jump whereas NPC's cannot.

Build a foundation for your house above ground. put a foundation block near the door to your place, but NOT up to it so that it connects.

Make sure the door also has to be jumped up into.

Do NOT build stairs to your new place, NPC's can no longer enter it.

Sadly this also means companions.

(Going to test the Fast Travel mat inside my house tonight. If htat keeps Companions penned in, then I win!)

Wait so my settlers will steal from me?

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Wait so my settlers will steal from me?

Yep, i noticed it a few days ago, and confirmed it on reddit earlier

Gonna try building some stuff today. Also anyone who plays it on the ps4 could you tell me how to throw grenades? I can't for the life of me figure it out! I select them and my dude still holds a gun and no matter which button I press he doesn't throw anything...

It does! It's the same on the Ps4 ;P

Also I built my first house in Sanctuary, nothing fancy except for one little detail. It floats in mid-air. I did this mainly to stop settlers stealing my shit :P

Lol'd. Then felt bad. Then lol'd again.

Doing my best to complete the BoS missions as well as the Minutemen ones now. Minutemen missions are currently pissing me off with the "fix the castle walls" and "Build artillery" missions though.

The castle walls are actually really easy. Don't try to make them look nice, and just toss up some foundation slabs in front of them, then wall them.

For the longest time, mine didn't even have a roof.

The artillery is pretty easy, they give you the components for the most part in the keep. Just go to the top of the walls, look for the indentions, and plunk one down

I already did the artilery before the slag told me to. So looks like I need to remove them and place them down again...

Also as I've not bothered to figure this out yet, how do I fix/repair power armour? Got a real nice one from the BoS which I intend to keep but that security bot in the castle really fucked it up xD

I already did the artilery before the slag told me to. So looks like I need to remove them and place them down again...

Also as I've not bothered to figure this out yet, how do I fix/repair power armour? Got a real nice one from the BoS which I intend to keep but that security bot in the castle really fucked it up xD

Put it in an Armor "Cradle/ Gantry/ whatever you want to call it" and then go to the Craft menu, one of the options is "Repair"

Well, I am in need of some assistance again and rather then making a new thread I'll just ask here :P This will include spoilers... Sorry!

I'm currently trying to build the damn teleporter to gain access to the institute. But the whole process is confusing as hell as no one really gives you a detailed explanation of how to do it. After a while I got every part needed and then started setting up the generators (really Bethesda? I need 6 of them?)

Now all that remains is to turn on the "signal dish" or wtf it's called which it seems I am unable to do. Some chick in power armour (I went to the BoS for help) says it needs more power. I've tripple checked and everything has the ammount of power needed, I even tripple checked my wiring to be sure.

So I guess my question here is. What the actual fuck am I supposed to do to get this working?