Vikings!

Sennex

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vikings series was really worth watching I have to say. Its as historically accurate as they can make it, which is awesome. Seeing a Historical drama that actually uses the real existing records from that time frame is nice.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Vikings is awesome, but there's definitely some historical inaccuracies :lol:  :lol:  

I am just starting to watch Season 2.

The only inaccuracies I saw in Season 1 were the names of the secondary characters, the inclusion of the monk slave, and the treatment of the blacksmith by the Jarl.

Other than that, season 1 is pretty spot on for the history of Ragnar Lothbrok.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I am just starting to watch Season 2.

The only inaccuracies I saw in Season 1 were the names of the secondary characters, the inclusion of the monk slave, and the treatment of the blacksmith by the Jarl.

Other than that, season 1 is pretty spot on for the history of Ragnar Lothbrok.

Vikings is awesome, but there's definitely some historical inaccuracies :lol:  :lol:  

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2vfktj/i_am_michael_hirst_creator_and_sole_writer_of/

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

This quote from that AMA is perfect:

The story I'm telling comes out of my historical research. I don't have a fictional story that I just add historical details to. Everything I do starts in research, and reading. And during the research / reading, storylines and characters start to emerge. And although I can take these characters for a walk, I never leave their historical reality behind. It's like putting down an anchor from a ship - you could sail the ship away from an anchor to an adventure, but you are still anchored to the reality, or what you know of the reality. So for me, that's the dichotomy between fiction and history. It's something I am very proud of, that VIKINGS is as real as we can make it - I don't like fantasy myself, because fantasy can be very, very entertaining, but it's ultimately meaningless because it doesn't hold a mirror up to us the way that history does. Whereas a show like VIKINGS can get people interested in Viking culture, and if they are interested in Viking culture, they can go read history books, check out the facts, see what is real or perhaps what I might have pushed too far. But it's a real show about real people and real events, and it's also done in a real way, and that is something else that I am proud of. We do use CGI - of course we do, for that sense of scale - but we don't use very much of it, and our cast (women and men, Vikings and Shield-Maidens) - they really fight. The show is choreographed wonderfully, but they really fight, they ride horses, they row boats. We shoot it in a very real way. And i think that marks it out from other shows, and even something like the movie THOR where all the action is CGI. I am very, very pleased and happy that we do it for real.

So of course you're not watching history, you are watching a show - this is the twenty-first century, and we're in a studio, and our actors are dressed-up - but having said that, everything you see on the show is researched. The buildings, the costumes, the furniture - everything has been researched, and talked about, and is as real and authentic as we can make it.

^^ It's definitely one of the most accurate shows on T.V but there are definitely faults.

Firstly, the political system is very wrong, it appears that Jarl Haraldson is almost a dictator when it comes to his control, however in a viking society any free man had a say and was able to freely oppose the Jarl without consequence. Secondly, the show makes it look like the first time the vikings raid England (though I think it might have had a different name back then), that it was the first time they discovered it. I'm pretty sure they had knowledge of England a couple of centuries before the raids started to begin.

Whilst these might seem like I'm knitpicking, they're both bretty central to the plot of the first season.

No, the Vikings had been raiding, what is now England and scotland,  since around 700 ad.

Ragnall (Ragnar in the series) just did it better, from further away, and actually attempted to control the areas, instead of raiding and leaving. The vikings started hitting France from the Coast around 800 ad or so.

He did it better without following the coast the whole way, which was what they typically did. They most definitely knew it was there, they just picked a better route which saved time. (And what he is created with)

Personally I can't wait for Lagertha to break out on her own, because historically, she is a pimp.

Not to mention Ragnalls sons are fucking badasses, and when Ragnall is executed, they lay waste to pretty much everything they come across in England.

Danishnet.com has some amazing articles about all of the historical figures.

EDIT: I skipped past your point about the Jarl haraldsson, and you are absolutely correct. Personally I hated how they portrayed his willingness to kill the Blacksmith. That shit would have NEVER happened. Smiths were a protected class for the most part because their skill was so heavily relied upon.

No, the Vikings had been raiding, what is now England and scotland,  since around 700 ad.

Ragnall (Ragnar in the series) just did it better, from further away, and actually attempted to control the areas, instead of raiding and leaving. The vikings started hitting France from the Coast around 800 ad or so.

He did it better without following the coast the whole way, which was what they typically did. They most definitely knew it was there, they just picked a better route which saved time. (And what he is created with)

Personally I can't wait for Lagertha to break out on her own, because historically, she is a pimp.

Not to mention Ragnalls sons are fucking badasses, and when Ragnall is executed, they lay waste to pretty much everything they come across in England.

Danishnet.com has some amazing articles about all of the historical figures.

EDIT: I skipped past your point about the Jarl haraldsson, and you are absolutely correct. Personally I hated how they portrayed his willingness to kill the Blacksmith. That shit would have NEVER happened. Smiths were a protected class for the most part because their skill was so heavily relied upon.

I'll have to rewatch the series, I must be recalling what happens incorrectly. I was sure that the program showed the Vikings discovery of England? There had been trade routes between Scandinavia and England for a long time be fore the raids started. 

I'll have to rewatch the series, I must be recalling what happens incorrectly. I was sure that the program showed the Vikings discovery of England? There had been trade routes between Scandinavia and England for a long time be fore the raids started. 

They sort of pseudo imply it with Ragnar's use of the Sunstone, but what he was actually doing, historically, was using it to Navigate the open waters, and go straight across instead of down the coast, and then across the channel.