Any interest in a thread for simple and healthy recipes?

Docwagon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure

I have to start changing my diet drastically, so I am all for this

sidenote: Basmati rice is awesome!

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I don't know about sharing recipes but I would be willing to discuss some of the meals my wife have started eating for our weight loss. I would have never thought in all my life that I would be eating turkey meatloaf or chicken sausage but I have to say, it's pretty damn good.

I'm looking forward to this thread.

Ok, cool.

I'll start off with an incredibly easy recipe for breakfast.  You make it the night before, put it in the refrigerator, and eat cold the next day.

Start with 1/2 cup of each ingredient, but it's irrelevant how much you make as long as you keep the proportions 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.

1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal

1/2 cup skim milk

1/2 cup yogurt (we use Kroger store brand "lite" yogurt, either vanilla or strawberry)

Cut up fruit to taste.  Bananas, berries, dates, whatever you like.

Put all ingredients in a covered glass bowl or tupperware.  Stir a bit.  Refrigerate.  

The moisture from the milk and yogurt will soften the oatmeal, and it's ready to eat in the morning with no cooking.  Be prepared for some very comfortable poos once you get used to eating this every morning.  It's like passing a cloud.

French fry substitute:

Purchase a Jicama.  Its a root vegetable that sort of looks like an obese potato.

Peel said Jicama.

Cut said Jicama into strips about the size of french fries.  Spread out on a microwave safe dish.

Microwave for 6 minutes.  Flip.  Microwave another 5 minutes.  Check on them, if they are starting to get little brown lines on them they are done.

Jicama is slightly sweet and will not need ketchup, but some will want a bit of salt on them.

(Be warned, they aren't crunchy like fries, sort of like a soft apple, but they are very tasty and require no oil)