My "art"

JsinOwl

Just placed an order at dickblick.com (tee hee) for painting supplies.

I've put a monumental amount of research into this; it is by far the most complicated hobby I've ever gotten into. That includes setting up a small recording studio. It is bewildering the different types of paint alone (acrylic, oil, water, water-mixable oil) but then different grades and properties within a type: transparency, lightfastness, pigment type/cost, consistency. Then there's the surface—canvas, linen, board—and all the prep that goes with it: sealing, priming, coating with gesso (or not), and coating with a base film (or not). There are different philosophies when it comes to a color palette: 3 primaries, 6 color split primary, 6 color secondary, and son on. People can't even agree on how to thin paint, like oil paint for instance, do you use mineral spirits or turpentine or a mixture of solvent and linseed oil, what should that mixture be, is it different for different layers of the painting. Finally the tools, brushes, knives, easels, palettes and figuring out what works for oil on board to achieve the result I'm going for.

Next step: hit Home Depot for some masonite board and primer. 

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Painting supplies? Yeah yeah yeah, that's what you tell the missus when Dickblick pops up on your bills ;)

All i know is i'm looking forward to more painting from yourself :) Good luck to you dude, sounds like a lot of effort, time and money needs to be put into this.

Just placed an order at dickblick.com (tee hee) for painting supplies.

I've put a monumental amount of research into this; it is by far the most complicated hobby I've ever gotten into. That includes setting up a small recording studio. It is bewildering the different types of paint alone (acrylic, oil, water, water-mixable oil) but then different grades and properties within a type: transparency, lightfastness, pigment type/cost, consistency. Then there's the surface—canvas, linen, board—and all the prep that goes with it: sealing, priming, coating with gesso (or not), and coating with a base film (or not). There are different philosophies when it comes to a color palette: 3 primaries, 6 color split primary, 6 color secondary, and son on. People can't even agree on how to thin paint, like oil paint for instance, do you use mineral spirits or turpentine or a mixture of solvent and linseed oil, what should that mixture be, is it different for different layers of the painting. Finally the tools, brushes, knives, easels, palettes and figuring out what works for oil on board to achieve the result I'm going for.

Next step: hit Home Depot for some masonite board and primer. 

Blah blah blah technical words.  When do we get to see alien baby makers on canvas?

There is a lot of stuff to choose from... No need to overcomplicate stuff though, if you have never been into this before. My dad has been a hobby painter for over 30 years and all he uses is a regular white canvas board and oil paint.

There is a lot of stuff to choose from... No need to overcomplicate stuff though, if you have never been into this before. My dad has been a hobby painter for over 30 years and all he uses is a regular white canvas board and oil paint.

My personality requires that I over-complicate things. That's just how it is. I need to understand things as much as possible even if I then turn around and simplify it. I enjoy learning about things anyway, so doing the research was part of the fun. I'm going for a very specific effect and I was trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that.

Blah blah blah technical words.  When do we get to see alien baby makers on canvas?

Not for the foreseeable future because I'm going to try painting on board. :P

Pre-stretched canvas is way too rich for my blood, and doing all the stretching and preparation myself is more effort than I'm willing to put in at this point. When I started looking into this, I recalled seeing a lot of oil paintings done on wood in museums. Sure enough, not only is it possible, it has some advantages and is far more economical.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

My personality requires that I over-complicate things. That's just how it is. I need to understand things as much as possible even if I then turn around and simplify it. I enjoy learning about things anyway, so doing the research was part of the fun. I'm going for a very specific effect and I was trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that.

Not for the foreseeable future because I'm going to try painting on board. :P

Pre-stretched canvas is way too rich for my blood, and doing all the stretching and preparation myself is more effort than I'm willing to put in at this point. When I started looking into this, I recalled seeing a lot of oil paintings done on wood in museums. Sure enough, not only is it possible, it has some advantages and is far more economical.

http://www.wholesaleartsframes.com/canvas-panels/

Your link is to Canvas Panels, which occupy a sort of middle ground between stretched canvas and board. I checked out that site and found that after shipping, the cost is about double what a board and primer would be on a per square inch basis. The cost is still reasonable, so I may get some anyway just to try it out. Stretched canvas is what's really expensive and is considered by most to be the "standard" format for oil painting. Whatever that means. 

My goods have shipped and are due to arrive Saturday the fifth; I didn't realize FedEx delivered on Saturdays.

Your link is to Canvas Panels, which occupy a sort of middle ground between stretched canvas and board. I checked out that site and found that after shipping, the cost is about double what a board and primer would be on a per square inch basis. The cost is still reasonable, so I may get some anyway just to try it out. Stretched canvas is what's really expensive and is considered by most to be the "standard" format for oil painting. Whatever that means. 

My goods have shipped and are due to arrive Saturday the fifth; I didn't realize FedEx delivered on Saturdays.

I know.  i did a little bit of painting in school for my required art classes.  Stretched canvas is too expensive, but the canvas panels are "real" canvas and can easily be framed, should you choose to do so.  Most folks won't know the difference to look at it.

Do you have any advice, witty anecdotes, or stories of tragic romance you'd like to share on the topic of painting?

Have you painted on both stretched and glued down canvas? Recall the differences? Once I realized I could paint on just about any piece of wood, I didn't look much further into surfaces, especially since I'm in the beginner/learning/my-shit's-probably-gonna-suck phase. If I have success, I'll be willing to invest more $.

With the advent of teh interwebz, you can get decent quality paint at a modest price. Modest as in, less than half what you'd pay in a brick & mortar store for the exact same products.

I love color and the 'qualities' of color in the same way I love sound. Half of music to me is simply the quality of the sounds—and I don't mean the quality of the recording. I mean the properties of the sound, it's timbre, harmonic richness, etc. 

Paint something dude!

Do you have any advice, witty anecdotes, or stories of tragic romance you'd like to share on the topic of painting?

Not really.  I did it, but it was never a high priority in my life.  It was something I had to do, learned I enjoyed a bit, and then moved on pretty quickly due to expense and other priorities taking precedent.

Supplies arrived today and everything was in order. Well done dickblick.com. I also have two MDF panels 2' x 4' x 1/4" thick cut up into a variety of sizes and I just put the last coat of primer on.

Tomorrow this ship pushes away from the dock...

My first three attempts at oil painting.

Practice01_zpsdfb6d00c.jpg

This was done entirely with a palette knife and consumed a shocking amount of paint.

Practice02_zps34b7d35c.jpg

Tried using a brush but the paint was too thick, thinning with turpentine turned everything into a failed experiment. Cleaning the brush made me think that I'd rather go back to knife work.

Practice03_zpsed6dae7a.jpg

Once again, done entirely with knives but I thinned the paint with a medium made up of talc and linseed oil. Paint flowed much better and I didn't need nearly so much as in picture #1.