Call of Duty at X Games Austin

Chookes

Unbelievably, Call of Duty become the first eSports to be invited to compete at X Games. Anyway, I haven't created this to get a discussion on why they were invited, it's a post discussion on what actually happened at the event. I haven't seen Kiwi in a bit so he may have appreciated it but someone else might and I'm bored as hell.

The event had 8 teams, 3 qualified by finishing top 3 from Champs and the other 5 was decided by their pro points. The 2 pools were:

A, Evil Geniuses (formerly Complexity), Team Kaliber, OpTic Nation, Strictly Business

B, EnvyUs, OpTic Gaming, FaZe Red, Curse Oranage

2 teams from each pool go through to the semis, Evil Genisuses, Team Kaliber, EnvyUs and OpTic Gaming. tK topped A, beating EG and ON, OpTic finished on top of pool B by beating FaZe Red and then EnvyUs. There was a bit of controvery about the EnvyUs game against OpTic. Before their match, tK beat EG (who are the best team in the game) so the winner of OpTic/EnvyUs would play them. Apparently, EnvyUs threw the match so they would have to play an extra game against another team, which if they would win they would then go play tK instead of EG for a place in the finals. OpTic won 3-1 so a lot of rumours that they did throw it. I personally don't think they did, I think OpTic beat them fairly 3-1.

Anyway semis, and where the irony happened if the throwing of the game was true. EnvyUs lost to tK. I think it was 3-1 but tK were brilliant. This put them in the final and EnvyUs in a consolation match for bronze. OpTic and EG was a brilliant series. EG took the first map on Freight DOM. It was close until the last 90 seconds. Apparently Scumpii's contact was falling out so he had an awful game. Second game, OpTic took the SnD and it's worth posting the video of the final round, OpTic leading 5-4 and ProoFy does this:

OpTic then took Blitz on Warhawk 7-3. They then took the final DOM on Strikezone to go through to the gold final match against tK.

EG beat EnvyUs to the bronze medal, winning the final SnD and the match 3-2.

OpTic beat tK in the final 3-2, for Nadeshot's first MLG win and OpTic's first win since the start of Black Ops 2. All videos can be found on http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialMLGCoD. I would recommend watching this SnD though, the final map between OpTic and tK, brilliant ending...

And this spawn shows how broken Ghosts is. Curse Orange get the 3 cap on EnvyUs and then manage to trap them in C, 3 of EnvyUs spawn on their home flag at C and RANDOMLY they spawn MerK on the opposite flag:

Really felt bad for Curse Orange in that map. They played it perfectly and the broken logic in Ghosts fucks them. They went on to lose 3-0.

I managed to watch a bit of this. Was impressed by the Optic team as a whole. Everyone had their moments to shine. I think my fqvourite game was Optic vs Envy on S&D Octane. They all had a time to shine in that and looked a very together unit.

Good series to watch and nice to see Nadeshot get a win after all this time

Sovereign has to be the worst map to play any objective gametype in. I can't believe they used it for the X Games at such a critical stage of the competition. The spawns maybe terrible in Ghosts but that map has to be the most unpredictable for spawns and they should have chosen something different like Warhawk or Freight.

I've played a few matches of domination on Sovereign and it's just a clusterfuck of spawning behind, in front or to the side of enemies and on or around the enemy flags. Shame for Curse Orange as they were stitched up by a bad game and not their ability. 

Warhawk domination isn't in rotation which is fair considering the position of B flag. Freight was available but most likely vetoed or was due to be played as map 4. Sovereign isn't a bad map and favours an SMG dominant team but they've been complaining about the spawns for months. This was by far the worst though.

I love sovereign, think it's a brilliant map. I've noticed the odd person getting spawned at the other side of the map a few times, obviously not much leeway on this map.

Also Euan, you'd be well proud of me, got a 37 kill TDM last night aaaaaand you better be on tonight :)