A solution to dandruff?

Xethius

Feel alittle embarrassed asking this, but i'm getting desperate now for a solution to my terrible dandruff. Ive tried shampoo's, cutting my hair really short, nothing is working.. :/ As far as i know its genetic as my dad had it before he went bald. Alot of my hair is starting to thin out because the dandruff is taking over the top and sides of my head. 

Any recommendations? 

How old are you? How long is your hair?

I'm 37, my Dad has male pattern baldness and I'm pretty sure it skipped me. However, now I'm having a receding hairline so I'll probably be bald in about 15 years or something. It's going pretty slow.  But, (and here is where my advice comes in) I have stopped using Shampoo altogether. I only use Conditioner.  I haven't washed my hair in 2 months and guess what, it feels so and looks so much better. Shampoo strips the natural oils from your hair and then it tries to adjust by over producing oil to catch up (which is why your hair gets greasy if you go for 2 days without washing it again). 

So, maybe try that dude. Trust mother nature. We went for thousands of years without using shampoo. Give that a go for 2 weeks, only using conditioner.  Of course, what kind of conditioner to use is another story. I'm just using a cheap brand from dollar general but I need to get something better.  I hear Nioxin is good for thinning hair.

Keep calm and question nothing.

^ what Sceptre says works.

Saw a TV experiment on the subject 20+ years ago with a girl with llong black hair. Looked OK when she started, looked awful and itched badly (maybe where Sceptre's conditioner comes in) after a couple of weeks but when she did the reveal after, I think 10 weeks, the effect was amazing! Gasps from the studio audience and the hair was absolutely stunning with a lovely sheen and not greasy or itchy.

If you have the patience and social acceptance by others, try it....if not Head and Shoulders works for me - doesn't totally eliminate it but keeps it under control

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I used to get it in middle school here and there. Just using Head & Shoulders conditioner worked for me. Later I learned that different shampoos either completely or partially strip hair of its natural oils, that the "cheap" $2 stuff (which I was using) strips your hair of everything so it's best to only use it if your hair is very dirty then use something to reintroduce oils/moisture like a good conditioner or something like BioSilk Silk Therapy and to use a shampoo that has things your hair needs in it. I've been using Pantene Pro V shampoo and rarely their conditioner for years now with no issues. Good luck.

I've never heard of the no shampoo solution. Hummm intredasting.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

1. Shave your head

get some soap and a good wash clothe (I prefer Lava soap, or Dial)

put soap on wash clothe

put washclothe on head

scrub that shit till its red, you gotta exfoliate your skin, son

rinse

get out of shower

get a decent lotion, no petroleum oil, something with aloe

put that shit on your head

Let bitches touch your scalp, bitches love that

get laid

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Haha^

I'm 22 years old. My head of hair is full pretty much, i got a receding hairline but i think thats from my moms side. its alitte thin on the sides where i keep itching. ive used head and shoulders and it didnt really work, so either ill try selsun or do what spectre said, before i give in to chop all my hair off lol. Thanks guys hopefully something works!

Haha^

I'm 22 years old. My head of hair is full pretty much, i got a receding hairline but i think thats from my moms side. its alitte thin on the sides where i keep itching. ive used head and shoulders and it didnt really work, so either ill try selsun or do what spectre said, before i give in to chop all my hair off lol. Thanks guys hopefully something works!

all joking aside dandruff is caused by a few things:

Dry skin

A build up of shampoo and soap.

A build up of sweat, dead skin, and crap

Change your shampoo once a week to something else for one day, and then go back to your regular shampoo, this will help you quite a bit.

typically, once a week, I will get a good lather of dial or lava, and just scrub the shit out of my hair. this keeps the dandruff down. I have insanely thick hair, its weird it's so thick. So my problem is that when my hair breaks, or when I sweat, it doesn't naturally fall off my dome. It just sits there.

so, doing the scrub method really helps.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Well i cant scrub as you describe because im pretty sure my hair will fall out lol. 

Ill take all this advice though i appreciate it :) I just wanna get rid of this horrid shit its killing me as i type this i can feel my scalp burning to be itched and when i do it'll be winter time again :/ 

Avoid using the regular shampoos that you find in stores like Head and Shoulders, it often just makes it worse, it did for me... I used this a while ago and it really helped.

T1LgN_XkXyXXXESy.9_103803.jpg

It smells really good too. A bit pricey but this is a quality product, read the reviews and see for yourself :)

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/bath-body-care/haircare/ginger-anti-dandruff-shampoo.aspx

The problems with using conditioner only, is that it doesn't clean your hair. It traps most of the grease you have in your dirty hair. This will make your hair look and feel super greasy and it weighs it down. When you have greasy hair, sweat gets trapped below in your scalp. That hot and moist environment is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria/fungi.

When I had long hair I used to skip the shampoo and only use hot water, sometimes conditioner. It got super greasy and I wanted that because it would get so frizzy otherwise. Guess what, after a couple of months I had fungal infection in my scalp, something I've yet to get rid of completely. It started 7 years ago when I suddenly felt itchy spots in my scalp and when I scratched them there were like soft and greasy scabs that came off just from touching them.
And there was some sort of fluid coming out. Gross.

They started stinging a whole lot. Especially when washing... Doctor said I got them most likely because my hair was greasy. Used medicinal selsun shampoo for a while but they never went away completely. They always come back but not as much.

So that's why I wouldn't recommend not using shampoo at all. Having fungal infection in your scalp is 100 times worse than dandruff. There are lots of mild shampoos out there that won't damage your hair as much. Use baby shampoo if that worries you. Hair masks are really good too since they add a lot moisture back after using regular shampoo.

I'm telling you, use my method of swapping soaps and shampoo's

unless you go to a dermatologist and get an actual diagnosis for why you have dandruff, then its the cheapest solution.

Not washing your hair is gross, and like Kent says, will lead to worse conditions. Having your head covered in psoriasis, fungus, black heads and worse will not lead to getting ass. It will lead to you paying more money on the back end of this "experiment", and most likely being stuck in misery while your head itches.

Did i mention how fucking gross it is to have greasy hair and your scalp covered in shit? Cause it is.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention above.

Massage your scalp fool, you want to promote healthy growth and breathing of your hair line. What this means is you need to brush your hair, but get to the scalp. It will hurt at first, especially if you haven't ever done this before, but after a day or two, it will feel amazing, sort of like how a q-tip feels in your ear after a hot shower.

I use a hair brush like this:

Uh7KAR1.jpg

Lastly:

Don't take hair advice from someone that is going bald, its a pretty clear indication they don't know WTF they are talking about.

Figure out "why" you ave dandruff, like I said above, there are several reasons for dandruff. They are very specific reasons for suffering from it, the starting treatments are typically what I listed above, but they might vary slightly in the long run

Don't be afraid to shave that shit off with no guard on the clippers so you can actually see your scalp. and get a picture of whats wrong.

Cool Story time:

I have insanely thick hair, I also have pretty bad dandruff

You would never know it, even if you were to put me under a black light, as I take care of my shit in the ways I listed above