Video Games and Friends

Have you made any real life friends through gaming?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, so this video is a bit silly, but there are a lot of truths in it as well. Video games have absolutely brought some people together forming real life, long lasting friendships. Video games can also help siblings bond. Video games can help parents bond with their children. There's a lot of shit talking about video games being a waste of time, but I strongly disagree. Real life friendships can be made through video games. This forum is a testament to that.

My parents divorced when I was 6. When I'd go to visit my Dad on the weekends he would play video games with me and my brother. We'd play Combat, Pac Man, Space Invaders, Super Mario Brothers, Excite Bike, Contra, etc., etc. I have a lot of great memories playing games with my Dad when I was little. He still asks me about new games that are coming out and what games I'm playing. He doesn't play anymore (carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists), but he still shows interest in them with me.

My daughter likes to watch me play games. She always tells me to "get the bad guys, Daddy!" I let her play Fortress Craft on Xbox 360. She just walks around digging holes and putting Easter eggs in them. I built her a pink house and she loves it. We had a great time together doing that.

My best friend, Matt, and I used to play games together throughout our entire childhood. We've been friends since we were 3 & 5. We're both now in our 30's with families. We don't get much free time to make the drive to visit each other, but we still play games together online. It's awesome that we can still play games together even though we live several hours away with little free time.

I've made some friends through this forum. Chris and I talk every day through texts or on the phone. Lee and I have met up a few times to hangout and e-mail each other quite often. I'd say a lot of people on this forum have experienced similar friendships. We've all shared personal things with each other, prayed for each other, and have been there for each others difficulties and celebrations. I'm forever grateful for the PC you all built for me. That was a very humbling experience. I'm sure Mike feels exactly the same way. Video gamers can be pretty nasty at times, but they can also be some of the most kind people I've ever come across.

Long Live Gaming!

Thoughts?

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Mike, A lot of us in DI text each other as well.  Got to love technology.  Meet in an online forum, play games online together, talk through text.   

Chris, Just trying to get some of the old threads over here before they're gone.  And, you can expect a dick pick soon. 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Yeah, to be honest, I talk to some of you guys more then friends that live around me. It's weird.

When I quit partying 24/7 I gave up a lot of my "friends" (aka - party buddies).  I don't have that many friends in real life anymore.  I've got one that has been my best friend since we were 5 and 3 years old.  I've got another that I've been friends with for about 7 years.  Other than that... yeah, I talk to my online friends more than most of my old party friends. 

Here's a video that shows how video games can help keep friends together.  50 years ago if a friend moved away, that was the end of that friendship.  Sure, you may write letters or later on you could have made phone calls.  But, realistically, that friendship would have slowly died.  Today with technology we can maintain friendships no matter the distance.  I think it's absolutely amazing. 

This video is pretty cheesy, but it does illistrate my point.